Do teachers actually hire graders?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by justdot, Aug 28, 2012.

1. justdot

justdot Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Hi all. The school year is about to start. And I find myself being one of those teachers who may not have a job for the upcoming school year. I knew this would happen seeing that I'm newly-credentialed.

I have a friend who needs help with grading because she has a lot I students. So she gives me her essays to grade for cash up front. I kind of like this transaction because I get paid to do something that I would do normally as a teacher. My question is: how do I go about getting more clientele. This situation won't be permanent. Eventually I will have my own classroom. However, to hold me over, it seems like a pretty good idea.

I've tried Craigslist. Any other venues I could take? Cold-asking my teacher friends maybe? Ask the school?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

3. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 28, 2012

I don't truly know but isn't this something a TA could possibly do?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

I've never heard it. I wouldn't like if from the perspective of a teacher as grading papers gives you insight into each student's strengths, struggles and what has been applied. A hired grader doesn't know my kids and while some would say that allows for objectivity, I think the classroom teacher needs to see and acknowledge student 'growth' which might not be evidento a hired grader. As student, I feel it breaks confidentiality, sends a 'lazy' and unconcerned message about the instructors and feels less connected.
    Perhaps instead of looking to grade teachers papers, you could investigate how standardized tests are graded in your state...testing services may have openings for certified teachers as scorers.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Sorry, I most certainly would not. And I've never heard of anyone else doing it (except in those "What would you do if you won a million dollar" type questions.)

Those are MY kids. If I'm going to put a grade on a report card, it's going to be because I've graded their work and can verify that the grade represents my view of the work they've done in my class.

It's just like having a kid take attendance: if my name is going on it, it's my work.

Look into proctoring exams (like the SAT, perhaps other similar exams), take a look at the ETS site to see if they're hiring, Sub, and tutor.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 28, 2012

Haven't heard of it at the HS or lower level, but I was hired by my university to grade calculus 1/2 HW papers when I was an upperclassman...I know they hired people to grade for the English professors as well. Could you look into it at a local university?

7. justdot

justdot Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Yes. I would agree with you. It's goibg to be difficult for her to get to know them. However, I'll know them, which is most likely not a good thing.

Thanks for the heads up the university assistant and testing proctors! I'll go look those up right now!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

The more I think about it, dot, the more your friend having you grade ESSAYS seems like a bad idea...unless you are in her class and know her teaching points, I'm not sure how you could fairly grade the papers. It really doesnt seem like she's doing what's right by her students.:sorry:

9. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 28, 2012

I know a teacher that hired another teacher as a grader... $1 an essay, which is a lot of $$$ I just don't see how you can truly grade an essay not knowing a student, especially at the k-12 level... college is a different story.

10. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

Sorry but I have a problem with the ethics of the whole thing below the college level.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 28, 2012

I have heard of some schools doing this but cannot think of specific examples. It's imaginable that some teachers do this off the record independently, but it isn't something I could fathom on my own.

12. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

As a student and a teacher I would have a problem with letting someone else grade papers, let alone for money. Is that even legal since grades are supposed to be private and the gradebook is a legal document?

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

I was my mother's personal grader throughout high school and college. My 2 daughters have graded most of my papers. My middle daughter now grades for me and her older sister. I think that this was what made us all follow my mom as teachers. I do not see a problem with the legality as long as the grader realizes that student confidentiality extends to them.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

My mother has helped me grade objective papers (spelling tests, multiple choice tests, etc.), but I always look over them. I can't imagine having someone else grade essays, though!

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

Are you talking about multiple choice or free response questions?

16. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I've heard of TAs grading assignments at the university-level, but never heard of such a thing in K-12 schools (public and private). I know I'd feel uncomfortable letting someone else grade my students' work.

17. jojothesub

jojothesub Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Justdot,

Please take no offense to what I am saying; I really do not think it is the right thing to do. Not only it is not ethical, but I also think that your friend can get in trouble with her school or the school system. You really need to be careful when you want to help a friend.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

I never heard of it... but hey I helped my neighbor grade papers when it was from the book for free!!! She loved that I loved to grade papers... she would just put the grades in the book. I was a few yrs older than the class she taught. But if I ever had any trouble I would ask her...

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

If it isn't worth your time to grade, it isn't worth your students' time to do it.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

I grade lab reports and problems but my daughter grades everything else. I look over everything that she grades so that I can analyze what students got right and wrong. I really do not see anything wrong with it but it has been a common practice within my family. My mom, three cousins, my uncle, myself, and my daughter are all teachers and have all graded each other's papers at times.

21. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 28, 2012

I have no problem with getting help with grading objective items, but grading the subjective is what I am being paid to do. What other way do I have for knowing if students grasp the information?

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

In theory, it sounds awesome. In practice... well, I had a hard time letting my student teacher grade things.

Grading their work drives my instruction. I just don't think it's a good idea :sorry: