Do students with IEPs get Reading support at your district?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anna9868, May 1, 2013.

  1. anna9868

    anna9868 Habitué

    Feb 4, 2008
    Likes Received:

    May 1, 2013

    My kids go to Charter school. I've spoken to a Reading support teacher, she told me an interesting fact about our school:

    If a student has an IEP, their reading needs would be addressed by the Learning Support teacher. If a student is a struggling reader, and they do not have an IEP, their needs can be addressed by the Reading Specialist (assuming they qualify for the program).

    I can only guess about the home district that I work for. Looking at how poorly kids with special needs read, I can only assume that this is probably the case in our district as well. Should find out

    I'm curious whether this is the case in other districts?
  3. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Aug 15, 2010
    Likes Received:

    May 1, 2013

    Our reading specialists work with students regardless of IEP. If a student qualifies for reading support, then they see the reading specialist or a resource teacher for an intervention. Our students with IEP must qualify to receive these reading interventions.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Iris1001
Total: 249 (members: 1, guests: 213, robots: 35)