do students complain your class is boring or do they go to sleep

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by futureteach24, Apr 10, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Apr 10, 2013

???

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2013

Is it happening to you, OP?

4. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 10, 2013

Hehe. When you teach science (especially at the middle school level), you don't have this problem. :)

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 10, 2013

Not too much. Occasionally they say it's boring (it's HS math!), but I throw in fun little things to spice it up. If they sleep, we're supposed to send them to the nurse. I've only had one kid fall asleep in my class. I woke her up, and gave her the option to stay awake or go to the nurse. She decided to stay.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 10, 2013

I only had one year I heard this. It was the year I was a junior high math teacher. I did notice on days that we did review games, they didn't complain as much. Math and teenagers can be tough. Some teenagers love to complain just to complain.

I am glad to hear that you are throwing in fun little things to spice it up. That should help.

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 10, 2013

I think any high school teacher would be lying if they said they never had to get a kid to put their head up off the desk. The key though is to understand why its happening. First you need to make sure your class really isn't boring! When I observed during college I saw lots of boring teachers, its tough to make everything interesting but a little creativity goes a long way.

Then you need to address individual students. If its just one you need to see if there is something going on at home or is Johnny staying up all night playing video games, ect? Usually a phone call home fixes this.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 10, 2013

I'm at MS level in Science as well, and yeah, that rarely happens. It does happen sometimes when we have particularly note heavy or math heavy days. I don't know what I did, but I felt last year, the kids complained about the labs saying they were boring, or maybe it was early this year. I think I made it clear that the alternative was much less fun and all of a sudden the complaining stopped. xD

I do have some students falling asleep though. In some cases on really warm days or right after lunch I can understand it, but if it happens too often, I call the parent and ask about sleeping habits. More often than not the student is dealing with really exhausting ordeals at home and they are not getting enough sleep.

9. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Apr 11, 2013

I had one kiddo fall asleep last week - I could tell he was kind of tired, and the next minute I looked over, he was entirely passed out on his desk. I went over to gently wake him up and he jumped about two feet in his desk and screamed. Poor kid was SO embarrassed.

Usually though, it's not a regular thing. I will say though, that I used to work at a really tough school and I knew a lot of the kids were homeless/couch surfing/etc. Sometimes they would fall asleep in class, and sometimes I would just let them sleep. Right or wrong, I don't know, but it's hard to wake a kid up when you know they haven't slept well in a couple days.