Do student teachers get paid?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Teacheraa, May 20, 2008.

1. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 22, 2008

Oh, I had a mentor assigned to me.:toofunny:

...what a joke that was.

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 22, 2008

Yes, I know...that's another story. These are usually veteran teachers, with at least 5-10 years experience, and yeah...they get extra bucks too. :eek: For the most part, they are supposed to make a difference.

3. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 23, 2008

I wish. That would have been sweet to get paid as a student teacher. Hell, even a small stipend every week would have been awesome.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

a gift card for Office Depot/Office Max/Staples

a gift card for Jewels/Dominicks..your local grocery store

a gift card for gas!

I was in work search program in L.A. ...and the best thing about the program was the incentive gifts to keep you motivated. You would receive a $20 gas card every week for coming to the meetings, turning in work search logs, and sharing interview stories. If you needed help with clothes, they had a clothes closet with gently used clothing for interviews.

Once you found a job, you would get a $50 gift card for Shell gas, Albertsons Food, or Kohls! After six months, you got another card, and after a year, one more!

I seriously don't know who came up with the idea that student teachers could manage without income. Being a college student is one thing..but by definition...a student teacher is expected to be a self-sufficient adult, and commuting every day to a job 5 days a week for 4 months without pay is insane.

....on top of dealing with regular college expenes!

5. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 27, 2008

I got paid for part of my student teaching. I did a long term position for most of it and the last couple of weeks was observation. I got paid 14 of 16 weeks though

6. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

May 27, 2008

I've had 3 and none were paid... but one did get hired on to teach at my school about 3/4 of the way through the program. We needed a teacher and she was amazing!

Kelly :)

7. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 27, 2008

I was told that student teachers could apply as substitutes around here and that if our supervising teacher was absent we would be paid for subbing.
    Luckily, I went the alternative-certification route so I had a salary during my internship. Kind of "Baptism by fire," and I wasn't fully certified for an entire school year, but it worked out pretty well.

8. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

May 27, 2008

haha at my school you are forbidden to have a job during student teaching because there is "not enough time"

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 28, 2008

right! and how many of us waited on tables, threw boxes around at UPS, delivered newspapers, or handed out free samples in the store?!

I think they made up this rule in the days of full time students who were living at home with well-to-do parents, who gave you a car, and allowance, while letting you stay at home during college years, and beyond.

this is just not the portrait of typical student teachers. :unsure:

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 28, 2008

I lived on campus when student teaching but went home on the weekends (not too far away) to work. The job i had was very flexible and let me work weekends and school holidays and vacations. My college never said anything about not being able to work. The girl I carpooled with to my student teaching assignment actually bartended so she sometimes only got 3 hours sleep before going to the school.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 28, 2008

My mentor last year was horrible. Saw her twice. This year my mentor has been amazing! I love her to death and wish I could stay put!

12. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

May 28, 2008

I don't know what state you're from, but in California you can get hired as an "intern" which gives you almost as much pay as a new credentialed teacher. That is the route I am taking. The intern has his/her own classroom and when the student teaching portion of the credential classes comes around, the observations take place in the classroom you've been in charge of all year. The only problem is finding a district that will hire you as an intern. It didn't used to be a problem but with all the budget cuts in CA the districts are being very conservative on who they hire and are waiting until the last minute to hire interns.

13. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

May 30, 2008

Student teacher's should get paid!!

No, student teachers do not get paid. If you get a position as an "intern" you do get paid. Myself personally I think student teachers should get paid. When I was student teaching I was told that you were not allowed to have any outside job because our focus was on the student teaching experience. But I was on my own and my parents could not afford to help out so I did work because I needed money to eat. For as much work as we put into student teaching I think they should pay us something.

Mldouglas

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 7, 2008

I'm in Canada, and no student teachers do not get paid! But I agree with Mldouglas... we should get paid! I had a fabulous cooperating teacher this year, but previous years I have felt like "free labour" for the teacher and the school. Essentially I am, and sometimes I felt taken advantage of.

15. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Jun 8, 2008

I dunno what distrcit you're in.. but I am an intern and I make the same salary as somebody starting out in the district. Plus, when I complete my internship, if I stay with the district, we get moved 2 spots right on the payscale as a bonus for staying.

The joys of being a Secondary Math Teacher

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

grrrr.....

brother can you spare some gas money??? :rolleyes:

seriously...sounds like you got a good program...You should tell us more...especially for those in area/state who are thinking about becoming teachers, or going back for more credentials!

17. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 9, 2008

Ok, color me stupid :), but what is the difference between a teacher intern and student teacher? I have never heard of a teaching intern.

18. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 9, 2008

I'm in NYS and typically you do not get paid for student teaching, but if you are an intern, and your school allows it, you can do student teaching along with the internship and get paid. This is what I am currently doing. I can't speak for others, but here internships are typically for special education positions. I have a mentor teacher who shows me the ropes of special education CST, IEPs, scheduling, etc. My school generally refers to us as "Special Educators in training" and we are expected to do the work of a special educator and depending on the school district an aide as well. I do not get paid what a teacher makes though. I receive a "modest" stipend for the school year.

19. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 9, 2008

I didn't realize interning was an option. Is this through alt. cert or only in certain states.?

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2008

I know the term "intern" is usually reserved for alt cert teachers. When I was student teaching, one of my friends got a job at the school b/f graduating. More or less, she "student taught" in her own room.

21. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 9, 2008

Ok...then what is the incentive for schools to hire an intern over a certified teacher?

22. smalltowngal

Jun 9, 2008

I don't have a clue there, jw!

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

Alternative programs

From what I know...based on my grad research..

Traditional student teachers do not get paid. We work :confused: 16 weeks, and teach at least 4, and must complete process for state requirement of certification.

Alternative programs offer certification to people who hold a BA/BS degree. They give intensive training, offer tuition assistance for a MA/MS, and placement as a paid intern/beginning teacher in an inner city school. The incentive is to stay at least 2 years, with the promise of placement in that school.

what's not to love?

http://www.ausl-chicago.org/
    http://www.teachforamerica.org/

It's a win-win situation...

At-risk, academic watch schools get fresh, eager teachers for 2 years

Interns get paid training, paid college tuition, and placement in a school..with all benefits and priviliges of regular teachers!

24. smalltowngal

Jun 9, 2008

MPK-my sister went the alt cert route, but she opted to take the student teaching so she didn't get paid for her time. I know some alt cert people who did not have teach in an inner city school. It just happened to be where they were placed.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

sooo catcherman....

fess up!

inquiring AtoZ minds want to know!!

Is this a Cal State Univ San Diego program?

Did you have a choice for school placement?

Is it considered an 'average' or 'at-risk' school???

Are/were you required to stay a certain amount of time?

26. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Jun 9, 2008

Internships are different from place to place, but here; interns apply through their college and are placed by their school at a school district that the college is partnering with. It is not necessarily an inner city setting. I am at a large suburban school district. We do not get any tuition credit or a job guarantee at the school district. In fact, despite having all excellent observations and references from co-workers, I didn't even get hired to be a teacher's aide at their summer school program :eek:

As for why this district would have me placed as an intern rather than hire another special education teacher, I am paid peanuts to do the same job that the special educator does. The school district I am interning at would be over ratio if it weren't for the interns. They have 1 full time special education teacher in a building with 50 or more identified students!! Some of the buildings (6 schools) also have a part time special education teacher as well. I chose to do an internship rather than be an on call sub. I thought it would allow me to get my foot in the door of this district :(

As for certification, many of the interns have the same, if not more certification than some of the classroom teachers. I am certified elementary ed. 1-6 and am working on a dual master's in special education and literacy.

27. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jun 9, 2008

This is a college class essentially, so like somebody else said, you are paying to teach...lol...ironic huh?

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

half time tuition, parking permit, books..

sigh!

29. Shawsome01

Shawsome01 Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

I don't know if northern California is any different than southern California, but here in the southern part of the state the applicant who holds a B.A/B.S. can apply to a district as an intern. This must be coupled with an "Intern Eligible" letter from the university the applicant is attending for their credential. The prerequisites for the letter are a B.A./B.S., U.S. Constitution, passage of the CSET and CBEST, acceptance into a credentialing program, a negative TB test, and CPR certification. (I think that's it.)
    The only advantage for a district to hire an intern is if they are short-staffed and simply don't have a credentialed applicant to take the position. The pay is almost identical to a credentialed teacher, maybe a little less, but the benefits are the same. In addition to hiring interns, some districts are able to hire applicants on an emergency credential which is good for 90 days (I think) that allows the applicant time to satisfy all the other requirements.
    As of July 1, the State has implemented additional requirements--the applicant must complete 120 "pre-service" hours before the intern eligible letter is valid. That means that many universities are rearranging their schedule to accommodate the students who were planning on being "intern eligible" by the start of the next school year. I fall into that category. I am taking three classes over a 9 week period after which I should be intern eligible (pending the results of my CSET).
    I am finding that every state is different and has different requirements.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2008

...every state is different..

and yes,

northern california and southern california are actually two different states...

:p

31. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jun 11, 2008

I know here in Northern CA at my school, there is a student teacher internship program. It is very competitive and you are basically hired as a full time teacher and take all of your methods/foundations classes at night. From what I understand, it is very intense (imagine teaching full time with no real experience and taking full time classes at night).

32. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2008

Yes, one is in Mexico and the other is in the United States...

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

Now, now..Malcom...

you run the risk of having this thread shut down!

That's not what I meant.

Honestly, just looking at the DMV, driver's exam test, you will see there are things on the roads in SF that don't even exist in LA!!

Actually, I've been to all four areas...San Diego, LA, San Jose and San Francisco, and they are very different..as you well know. The climate, the stores, the foods, the dress and ecomony. I think that is one of the reasons they are always battling with those Propositions and funding issues, because nobody wants the same things.

For example...San Francisco area has it's own public utility, PGE (Pacific Gas and Electric)..whereas LA area has several utilities, including SCE (Southern Calif. Edison) and within the city limits and each city-some have their own electricty as well. People will lose their lights in the mountains, but us folks in the valley will be fine....

34. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008

You should talk to the Mexican kids I teach...

Actually, I don't think all of Socal is in Mexico. Part of it appears to be in Vietnam (Westminster and parts of Garden Grove and Santa Ana).