Do standard cert holders need CPDU's when subbing?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MamaMia93, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MamaMia93

MamaMia93 New Member

Jul 14, 2008

Hi! I am from Illinois. I hold a current standard teaching certificate (type 03 - elementary ed) in Illinois. I have been a SAHM for the last 6 years. My daughter is going to kindy this year. I want to substitute at her school for the next couple of years instead of getting a permanent job. Will I still need to earn CPDU's in order to be eligible to renew my certificate when it runs out? I've been searching for info, and I've learned that people that hold substitute certificates do not need to complete CPDU's. However, mine is a standard teaching certificate, not a sub certificate, so this does not apply to me. I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for. Can anyone help me? :help:

Thanks!

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

Guessing- but I think to maintain the Standard you need CPDUs or graduate credits.

I'd contact ISBE though- and get the name of the person you talk to.

4. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure that you'll need at least the minimum of CPDU's or graduate credits to renew a standard certificate. If you're not sure if you'll return to teaching, you may want to focus on the CPDUs instead of grad credits (much cheaper that way). However, if you're going to return to the classroom full time someday, I'd suggest investing in the graduate credits, which will likely increase your salary once you return.