Do schools let you know you didn't get the job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dylbai, Jul 26, 2011.

1. dylbai

dylbai Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Do schools typically let those who interviewed for a position, know that they didn't get the job? I can't imagine they'd just announce it formally before letting interviewees know first, but maybe I'm wrong : (

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 26, 2011

Although it would be very nice and polite of them to call or at least send a snailmail letter, most do not. Generally, you hear back if you are selected -- you hear nothing back if you weren't. Sad, but true.

4. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jul 26, 2011

So far only one school I interviewed at didn't notify me. Only one Principal called directly and the others sent a letter.

5. Teachnewbie12

Teachnewbie12 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

One school that I had an interview through, because of my professor said they would call regardless. Welp, they didn't call, and three months later they posted the position.

6. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

On the few interviews I have been on, only one school didn't let me know....even though they "promised" they would. I called them back to only get a "No, we hired for that job". Then the secretary hung up on me. Rude. I got phone calls letting me know I wasn't their candidate for the other positions.

7. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

So far, all of the ones I interviewed for that I didn't get did call me and let me know that I didn't get the position and one even went so far as to tell me the reason why (they weren't given clearance to hire from outside the district).

8. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 26, 2011

I have not heard from the school I interviewed with, but I am starting to think that was a blessing. It was for Harmony and I have been hearing not so great things about them now.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2011

Sometimes they do if you did a really good job on your interview. More often than not they assume that since you did not get a call, you will understand that you were not their new hire.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2011

Overall, I haven't been on that many interviews for a teaching position, but I've always gotten a letter through snail mail letting me know I didn't get it, but then, the last interview I've been on for a TEACHING job was in probably 2008 or 2009 I think. Maybe districts are too bogged down to do it anymore, but they should because it's the professional thing to do.

11. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

Usually, I do get a letter in the mail. Generally it's 3 weeks after the interview. I got one two months after an interview once. I suppose it is a nice gesture but when it's so late after the date they tell you they are going to make a decision and you've already come to terms that you don't have the job it opens up a wound!

Once, I did have a principal call and I have gotten one e-mail from a principal.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I usually got an autotmatic e-mail telling me the position had been filled. Once I got a snail mail letter. I never just didn't hear anything at all. I would hate it if a P called me to tell me I DIDN'T get it, because when I saw them calling I would just assume they were calling because they were going to offer the position to me. What a letdown!

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

Not always, although one time I did receive a letter from the Camden Public Schools letting me know that I didn't get the job. It was filled with misspellings and terrible grammar. I kept it for a good laugh. LOL

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

Out of 8 interviews this summer, I didn't hear back from 2 of them. (One of those two was the one I wanted the most!) I received one email rejection, one letter, and one principal called me to tell me I didn't get it-but was their second choice. The other three I received offers from.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 28, 2011

FarFromHome- Maybe YOU should start a thread on what you did to land THREE job offers. That sounds pretty incredible to me! Good for you!

16. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 28, 2011

:agreed:

17. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 28, 2011

:agreed: Like wow..

18. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 28, 2011

And how did you get 8 interviews?! I thought I was doing great to get 3! :lol: I'm just amazed! :woot:

19. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 28, 2011

Of my interviews this year with 12 different schools, I have heard back in some form (phone call, email, letter) from 9 of them. Last year I heard back from all but 2 of my 10 interviews.

20. kiwi193

kiwi193 Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

I went on interviews with four different schools. Two schools called me within a week of interviewing with them and told me that I did not get the job. One school sent me an email about a week after I interviewed to tell me I didn't get the job. I got the fourth job.

21. mandaisepic

mandaisepic Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

LOL, you should post it here. Personal details redacted, of course. :)

22. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

A professional principal would let you know.

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2011

I just think it's being confident while interviewing! I went in there telling myself I would get the job, and I did. I definitely researched the schools a lot and referenced things I had learned during the interviews. I recently finished my master's in Ed leadership, so I am very up-to-date on a lot of the programs used in schools right now. I also have very high test scores from my students.

Back on the topic-my principal in Idaho always took the time to personally call everyone that we interviewed. I wish every principal would let you know. It doesn't take that much time or effort to send a rejection email!

24. chermusicteach

chermusicteach Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

I would get an e-mail saying I did not get the position. Mainly they would tell me if I didn't get a call by a certain time, then I did not get the position.