Do schools google you?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachart, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Jun 25, 2012

I have the same issue. I kind of like the anonymity, but my last name is common and altogether blah, I'm going to want to change it when I get married. Maybe fewer people will mistakenly call me then.

2. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 25, 2012

My pinterest was set to that and it came up anyway because I am on the atoz pinterest boards and they are public.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

I found a link to me through another person's Pinterest account. It is on the 5th page or results or so, so I try not to worry about it.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

I am the only person with my name. Guaranteed. So anything that comes up is about me. Once you get back several pages, you will find results where a page talks about someone with my first name and someone else with my last name.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 25, 2012

Hmm. My Twitter account is locked, my FB doesn't turn up in a search, and I'm not on Pintrest. Unless you're interested in my Wishlist on Amazon, the main thing that shows up under my name is school-related stuff.

6. sks72

sks72 Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I recently attended a panel discussion with principals from the best districts within 1 hour of me, discussing their hiring processes.

They all said yes, they Google you!!!

Keep a clean online presence!

7. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Google got me my job (or I should say that someone's poor judgment got me my job.) My district was going to hire a woman who had done her student teaching at my school, but they googled her and found something unacceptable on her Facebook page.

8. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

You have assume that they do.

I would also google your email address that you give out.

Clean up facebook, linked in, yahoo, twitter, myspace anything where you have been linked to.

9. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

I seriously doubt it. They are so swamped with applicants they don't have the time to do something that stupid.

And if they do, they aren't worth working for. Most principals are morons anyway if they do something that stupid they could conceivably be sued over.

It will be a cold day in hell I will "clean up" my so-called online presence to please some moron.

They can simply make up garbage about you anyway if they don't want you.

10. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

It tells me they are a bunch of incompetents that they would "judge" somebody on the basis of an alleged "online presence."

It doesn't occur to these idiots more than one person could have the same name.

It just gives them an excuse to hire their friends and relatives anyway.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Do you think your attitude is hampering you in your job search at all?

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

I hate to disagree, but they can choose between you and 500 to 1000 other applicants. Online presence can be a factor. Also, once they have interviewed you, it doesn't take much to match a profile (or other) picture to the person they just met.

13. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jun 28, 2012

There are enough other people out there with my name that I hardly show up at all in a google search (even an attempt to narrow it down results in only my linkedin and teaching portfolio, both of which are obviously clean), I've ensured that all outsiders can see on my facebook is my profile picture and cover photo (neither of which are in any way objectionable), and I don't have a myspace.

However, when I googled my email address, I did find three results that, while not inappropriate, were a bit embarrassing. (They were mainly on livejournal, over 6 years old, and really dorky.) After deleting the offending posts and making the account completely private, I looked to see if there was any way to keep the results from showing up in a google search. What I discovered is that it is possible to request the removal of a cached page from google's search results. I thought it might be a useful tool for others, so here's a link that should be helpful if you'd like to request content removal: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=164734

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

I have mine now set to that, but my Pinterest account still shows up?! :confused:

I googled my name and was shocked to see there are two other people with my same first and last name that came up immediately. One is linked to downloading files from playboy sites and the other has a very questionable profile pic on FB. All that shows up for the me is a few professional links, but sheesh I'd never want some potential employer think I am one of these other peoeple! :mad:

15. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jun 28, 2012

I think that this is because google has a searchbot that indexes page information and uses that to get you search results. If I understand correctly, your page will continue to show up until the next time the searchbot tries to index your page information, which I think it does something like every 90 days.

I think that you can expedite this process by requesting removal of search content - I posted a link for google in the post I made above yours, and it looks like there are ways to do this on yahoo and MSN search engines, too: http://security.unt.edu/resources/removingsearchresults

16. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

I'm in the same boat! All my own stuff is squeaky clean, but I'm worried about being confused for others with the same name. Hopefully they look AFTER interviews, not before. :\

17. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 29, 2012

There are two other people that show up when I google myself, and they are both teachers! The only thing that shows up for me is a letter. When I was a consultant I had to write letters after each school visit to the P, summarizing what we talked about. For some reason, one letter shows up in a lot of searches. It was sent over email so why would only that one show up?

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2012

Thanks, bandnerd!:thumb:

19. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

Got about 8 pages into a Google search on my name and see nothing that would cause any problems.

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 29, 2012

I know my princial does not google anyone