do principals call if you DON'T get the job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by My3kloves, Jun 20, 2013.

1. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jun 20, 2013

I'm on pins and needles waiting, waiting for the principal to call to see if I got a teaching job. They told me last week they would let me know by the end of this week.

So do they call only if i get the job or do they call to inform me I didn't get it also?

waiting is soooo hard to do! :whistle::confused:

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 20, 2013

I interviewed for 23 jobs over the course of the past two summers. I didn't get 21 of those jobs. Nine times I heard by phone, two times by letter, seven times by email and twice I never heard back. The two offers I received were both by phone. I think this is the sort of thing that varies quite a bit by region. I am in California.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

My complete interview experiences:

After student teaching I had a kinda-sorta interview with the principal which was just a formality as I had already been offered a position (although I didn't accept). Thinking about, it really can't count as an interview...more like a chat.

Around the same time I had two legitimate interviews. One called with a job offer (which is the one I accepted) and the other called with an interesting rejection. She explained that she wanted to hire me as did most other panel members. She said, though, she was under pressure to hire another candidate...especially because they knew I already had two job offers and he did not. I had college classes with the guy and I admit to being (internally) surprised, and I guess she knew it seemed an unlikely choice so she explained that the other candidate was a long-time parent at the school, volunteer coach there, and volunteer for the academic team. She was very candid about being disappointed in not hiring me and she told me God must have other plans for us all. She told me my college supervisor had actually contacted her during my student teaching and said to not pass a chance to hire me. But she did. :lol:It was a very strange phone call. A month or so into the school year she contacted me again and asked me to come to her school..she said she would speak to my superintendent and work it all out. I was actually tempted, but I'm so glad I didn't abandon my school. One, I ended up loving it. Two, all the new teachers that year at the other school were pink-slipped.

I've had one more interview years later and was called with a job offer that I accepted.

So, yes, sometimes they call with a rejection. Best wishes for an offer! :)

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 20, 2013

I've never gotten a rejection by phone, but I've read many people here say that they have.

For me, rejection has always been either no notice at all or a letter in the mail weeks later, long after I'd already figured it out for myself.

Good luck, though.

6. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

Most of the time, I haven't heard anything. However, I did receive one phone call once, and a couple times have gotten a letter in the mail.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 20, 2013

My first job the dept supervisor called to offer me the job and I told her I would get back with 48 hours- the principal called me within 24 hours afterwards to ask me and I told him okay.

My second job my principal offered me the job- during the second follow-up interview.

I have heard from various different people if I wasn't going to be offered a job- usually a human resources person, but I know every school is different.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2013

If there is an automated system, I get emails saying the position was filled whether or not I even interviewed.
    I've also gotten phone call, personal email, and formal letter rejections.

9. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jun 20, 2013

okay, I have been getting emails of this district once the position is filled so I can fall back on that info that I didn't get the job if I get an email on it. So far, I haven't gotten an email that the position is filled. That's good!

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 20, 2013

Most times if you didn't get the job, they don't call you back.

11. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Jun 20, 2013

I've never received a rejection phone call, only calls in which I was offered the job. Any rejections I received were either through email or regular mail.

If you don't hear by tomorrow, you should try calling them next week to see if you can get any updates!

12. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 20, 2013

When I was interviewing last summer, I had several phone call rejections, one letter rejection (which I think was only because the principal knows my mom), several e-mail rejections, and then several no responses.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 20, 2013

Sometimes. I got a rejection call last week from a very nice p. she sounded more upset about it than I did! :lol: seriously.

14. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 20, 2013

I have received rejection by email, phone call, and letter. I usually figure out when the deadline past when they are going to notify the person who got the job.

15. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 22, 2013

Any rejections I received (for both education and whatnot), either it's by email or they didn't call me back. Never by phone or mail. If by phone, it was because I called them.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2013

I've only interviewed once since I started teaching at my school. Next year will be my tenth year. I received a letter stating that I wasn't hired which I am glad now.

17. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 24, 2013

All my rejections either came via letter in the mail or never being contacted again.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2013

In my experience, I can't recall a time in my entire life when I got a call for NOT getting the job...teaching job or otherwise.

19. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jun 24, 2013

Some do call for a rejection.