Do parents have a say...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Apr 8, 2013.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 8, 2013

I've already had parents tell me they've requested me for next year. A colleague at my site and the school office manager also said they've requested me, too. No pressure, right? :dizzy:

I've worked at some sites, though, where parents have no input. Other schools, though, value parent input for student placement.

What's the policy at your site?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2013

We take it into consideration after much more valid reasons for student placement.

4. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Apr 8, 2013

Our school tries to honor parent requests as much as possible.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2013

Our parents are allowed to write a letter detailing their child's needs and the type of teacher that they believe is best for their child, but they cannot request specific teachers.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 8, 2013

At the junior high and high school level they don't have a choice, there's only one teacher for each course. For example, I'm the only one who teaches English 10.

I'm not sure what they do at the elementary level.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2013

The "official" answer is that parents don't have a say. However, the "real" answer is that if the parent complains loud enough, they'll get whatever they want.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2013

Parents can make certain requests--for their child to be placed with (or away from) certain peers; for the upper or lower end of a split class; for a certain teaching style. Requests for specific teachers will not be entertained.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 8, 2013

:yeahthat: Especially if they threaten to pull their child. I've come to the conclusion that if they don't want a certain teacher, then don't put that child in that room. They will just cause problems all year long.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 8, 2013

It is taken into consideration, but not necesarily honored.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2013

Oficially, we don't take requests. I listen to what parents have to say and consider it along with many other things.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2013

My P does if it is in writing by a certain time in the summer. I don't think a reason has to be given.

13. readforxboxguy

readforxboxguy Rookie

Apr 8, 2013

Generally when a request is made and it is for a valid reason, the school honors the request. If you were requested, it is a compliment. However, I have seen other teachers take offense that a peer had been requested. Usually these types of requests are kept quiet, and you would be smart to keep it between you and your administrator.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 8, 2013

My prinicipal does not entertain requests as she feels we are all equally qualified.

15. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 8, 2013

My principal will honor parent requests. My grade level recently had their PTA performance. Parents had to come to the gym and pick up their child after it was over. I had a parent come up and ask me how can she get her child in my class next year. She already has a daughter in my coworkers class. My response was to start with the front office to get any questions answered and help she needed. I have no plans on saying anything to my coworker. We'll see if the child will be in my class next year or not.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 8, 2013

Obviously, my 2nd grade peers know which kids in my class are co-workers' kids, but it's something that I don't ever mention or brag about.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2013

Parents can't request a certain teacher, but they can make a request for a certain teaching style/personality. They have to have a reason, and it may/may not be granted. However, there are bunches of parents that get what they want :rolleyes:

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 9, 2013

Same with my school.

However, many parents that fill out the form do request a specific teacher, and their request is almost always honored. Last year we had about 120 second-graders to divide up into three 3rd-grade classes, and there were maybe 3 requests. So, not too many parents fill the form out.

19. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 9, 2013

120 second-graders to go into three 3rd grade classes???? Did I misunderstand something here, or does that mean there were 40 third graders in each class?