Do not post actual test questions

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Amanda, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Nov 17, 2015

Please do not post actual test questions here. If you do, the makers of these tests get a little grumpy and may seek legal action against you.

3. ileana

ileana New Member

Jul 16, 2019

okay....
    What hint will we find that the paper will come.

4. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 21, 2019

Hi, as a non-native English speaker, will it be too difficult to be an elementary teacher (have to pass RICA and other multiple subjects) as I came from Asia. Anyone can give suggestions? I am not confident enough to speak like native speakers. I am about to sit for the CBEST test in December, I have read all the messages. I noticed that most people encountered the same problems in the writing part.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2019

CSET and RICA responses aren't essays, at least not in the sense of requiring pretty writing that follows all the grammatical rules. A CSET or RICA response can perfectly well include, or even be, a bullet list with sentence fragments, and even for the literary-response question your grammar really isn't taken into account in scoring (though it helps if the response comes off as somewhat literate). Scorers want to see the technical terminology that shows you know what you're talking about; if you're not confident that you've got that terminology in English, you might try looking for

CBEST's writing section tends to be more challenging for people educated outside the US: there, the emphasis IS on writing full sentences that are correct in grammar and mechanics, and dressing up at least some of those sentences with reasonably grown-up vocabulary. (The rules are a little less strict for personal narratives or reflections.) Have you looked at the sample essays in the CBEST Essay practice test pdf?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 24, 2019

Yes, I am practicing them now. Thank you.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 24, 2019

I don't mean the prompts, WongHF: I mean the essays that Pearson included to show how the scoring works. In the pdf version of the practice test, start on page 9. The two essays that were given scores of 3 are on the short side, which means fewer words with which to make non-native-speaker mistakes, but they're long enough that each writer was able to fulfill the charge of the prompt.

If you're writing more than about 350 words for either prompt, you're probably writing too much and you're almost certainly working too hard.

Most word processors have the capacity to check grammar and spelling; while you are writing an essay initially, turn off grammar check and spell check, and wait to turn them back on until you are finished. Make a note of the errors, especially errors that you make more than once. If you don't have grammar check and spell check handy, look around for the website Grammarly: I think there's still a free option that will perform a minimal check of your grammar and mechanics.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 25, 2019

Yes, I used the website for grammar check after I completed 2 essays.
    I am trying to practice at least one essay writing per day now.
    Hopefully, I will be ready before the exam in December.