Do most of you have classroom jobs?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 27, 2008.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2008

I wasn't going to have jobs in my classroom, because it just seems like one more time-consuming thing. I was going to just talk about taking care of our room by picking up after ourselves, respecting the property, etc.

Do most of you have jobs in your classroom? Does anyone NOT have jobs? If you do, what kind of jobs do you have?

3. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I do not have classroom jobs. Typically if I need something special done, I just say that I am looking for a helper and everyone's behavior improves : )

4. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I do have classroom jobs. They are the following:

line leader
    door holder
    paper passers
    straw passers
    line monitors
    eraser clapper
    sweepers
    paper organizer
    mailbox
    book organizers
    lights
    basket holders
    Messenger

5. missk83

missk83 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

When I student taught we had a Student of the Day. It started with the first student alphabetically and rotated all year. That student did all the jobs in the class, like answering the phone, passing out papers, lights, lunchcount etc. That was 4th grade, but I am sure it could work to some extent in K. I am going to be teaching 3rd grade this year, and I am choosing to have specific jobs, and just roate the student names that have the jobs.

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

Some years I have classroom jobs and some years I don't. I mostly don't because I find it a pain to keep up with. Just one more chart to change each week. :eek:hmy:

Sometimes I start out with no jobs and then add them if I feel my class would benefit. And sometimes I add just a few jobs if I need them. For example, I used to always forget to bring hand soap down to the bathroom (the dispenser is often empty and I just prefer to bring my own) so I'll add a soap person.

If I have a class who really struggles with lining up (lots of rushing or arguing) then I might add a line leader/line ender.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2008

I know when I long-term subbed in 4k they had a bunch of jobs (passing out papers, watering the plants, snack helper, door holder, turning off lights, pushing in chairs) and it was almost just too much. Every time something needed to be done, I had to look over at the chart to remind myself who was responsible for that job.

After reading the replies so far, I'm thinking maybe I'll just do a line leader/helper. I was planning of having line leader anyway, and maybe that child can just be the one who passes out napkins, straws, papers, runs little errands for me, etc.

8. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I just have a leader/helper each day. I keep a chart on a clip board with a list of names with empty boxes after each. I record the date after the student is chosen to help me keep track. All the students get quiet quickly when I take the clipboard out hoping that s/he will be chosen. Each student also gets to be leader/helper on or close to his/her birthday. Summer birthdays are celebrated near the end of the year.

9. minnie

minnie Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

Everyday, I have a "Student of the Day." This student is the line leader, paper passer, messenger, etc. for that day. I thought that assigning many jobs to different students would get confusing for me and the students so I just assign one student a day to be my helper.

10. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I have tried jobs in the past and they drove me crazy! I have 2 helpers that I call "Lucky Ducks" (an idea I got from someone on this message board last year). My lucky ducks do anything I need done during the day. I decided on two kids per day because I often send my helper to the office for things and I don't like to send them by themselves. It worked great last year.

11. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I do have classroom jobs. I didn't start mine until late into the school year last year and plan on starting them much earlier this year. My kids loved their jobs and they weren't hard to manage at all.

My jobs were:

water holder (for when we washed our hands before lunch)
    coat area cleaner (two people for this)
    floor cleaner (two people for this)
    librarians (two people for this)
    electrician
    caboose

I did not have a job for every single person. They just rotated through them and had a few days of "vacation."

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

I have one job per day, called Leader of the Day, here's a link to the page on my website that describes it in detail.

13. kindertwins

kindertwins Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I don't have jobs in the classroom because as you said it gets too confusing for me! I use whoever is my king/queen of the day to be my helper. Whoever is the king/queen that day will be the line leader and then the caboose the next day. Together these two students do everything I need for them to do. I hope this helps. Best of luck!!!:D

14. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

I did classroom jobs when I taught 5th and it worked beautifully! They had to apply for jobs and we really had a great time with it. However, I'm not planning on doing this in Kinder...I'm going to do what many posters above stated, have my captain of the day do all the jobs I need for that day!

I love the title, "lucky ducks!" I was thinking about having a king/queen of the day...it was in a book I read. We don't say leader cause they do that in pre-k and we kindergarteners are much above that! lol SO, we just rename it something else!

15. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

I do not have jobs, I pull names from my star bag. Students who have done something that I want to recognize get a star and then I randomly pull a name when I need a helper. I do have a student of the week who takes the daily attendance to the office that week and gets to choose someone to go with them, but for anything else, it is the star bag.

16. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

Oh my! Lucky Ducks! I have to use that. I am into ducks... I have their work displayed with a duck that has their name on it on a board called "Quacktacular Work" and I use ducks cut-outs for everything! How could I have not thought of that?????

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 28, 2008

I really like the Lucky Duck thing, too! Maybe that's what I'll call my little helper.

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

I do the same thing as minnie and have a "Special Helper" who does all the jobs...they get to point to everything when we do our calendar as well, so that is where the idea stemmed from...it is much easier than saying "Where is my line leader? Who passes out papers?" all the time, because they have trouble remembering sometimes! We sing the special helper song everyday- the kids don't let me get away without doing it!!!

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2008

I did this last year and it's a great way to reward good behavior!

20. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

I have a job for each student. I have a clothespin for each child. Each week I change the jobs. I simply have to move the names down one place. I change the chart before I leave on Friday and I announce jobs on Monday. Its a little harder at the beginning of the year since they are still learning what the jobs are and the responsibilities involved. It's great because kids truly understand that everyone has to chip in and help.

21. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I used to have jobs for everything like: door monitor, sharpener monitor, paper monitor, plant watering monitor, light monitor, and supplies monitor. I got tired of trying to remember who did what so, I ended up creating a "Helper of the day."

This helper is based on the alphabetical list given to me by the office. I have this list posted up on the wall and I go through one child a day. This child picks a helper to help them. They do everything, like help clean-up with the other kids, they pass out paper, they pass out supplies, they open doors, they take out the tricycle, they take the attendance to the office, etc. This was easier for me.

22. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I have classroom jobs that are changed weekly and include the following:
    Office helpers (2) take items down to office
    Line leader
    Door holder
    Lunch helper (2)
    Fish helper
    Lights helper
    Paper helper

I think that is it. I obviously don't have enough for every student each week so it rotates and worked really well last year. I never have to remember what anyone's jobs are b/c they love having jobs, they always know!I change the jobs on the chart every Friday after school and it is very easy. Once the children have routines down, I pick someone who was really great that Friday and that child will change the jobs at the end of the day for me. :)

23. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I have a classroom job for each kid in my room. I rotate them weekly! This kids love it and I then know who is responsible for their area! It works out great! It takes a little more management in the beginning of the year, but after that the kids come in Monday morning and look to see what their job is (of course they all want to be line leader, caboose or the snack person)!! :)

24. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

I plan on having a leader of the day...this person is themain "helper.line leader" everyone else is responsible for clean-up and put away....If this doesn't work, I may add specific jobs, but I thin kit will work fine. :0)

25. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jul 31, 2008

I have 2 helpers each day. I go in alphabetical order. The helpers are the line leader and door holder. I have them take turns. If one leads going to lunch the other leads coming back.
    They also take the attendance and lunch reports to the office/cafeteria, pass out and collect papers, ect. Other than that, each one is responsible for their area and supplies.

26. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

I have a line leader, class helpers (take up/pass out things), office helper, library helper, sweepers, table washers, and bathroom monitors.