Do kinders use computers much?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by janis, Nov 17, 2013.

1. janis

janis Companion

Nov 17, 2013

I'm a 3rd grade teacher just wondering if Kindergartners use desktop computers much. For example, do you ever have them type their names or the alphabet or learn how to use the mouse, or is that age still a bit early for that?
    :confused:

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2013

When I taught k we were on the computers from the very first day of school. On my four classroom computers students listened to stories online, used great educational sites such as starfall and abcya, used software such as kidpix to demonstrate math, science, and language arts skills, and learned to insert pictures and type and edit text in Microsoft word. We also went to our computer lab to use the laptops weekly.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Keyboarding skills-not so much, mouse skills-definitely. They will click on a program from the desktop or use the favorites tab for reading/math websites. They do have to login with a name and password for several programs we use. Mine also used Pixie to make digital stories.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 17, 2013

In preschool we have the Waterford Reading/Math/Science programs on the computer. They learn how to click on the letters to spell their name along with other pre-academic and mouse skills.

6. janis

janis Companion

Nov 18, 2013

Impressive!

7. live

live Companion

Nov 18, 2013

Awesome! Many of my 5th graders treat computers as if they're simply toys; I was surprised how many of them don't know how to do the most basic word processing tasks. I'm completely changing my computer instruction because of this.

8. janis

janis Companion

Nov 19, 2013

A kids site called room recess has a simple but addicting game my kids have been competing with called Alpha Quick. It times how quickly they can type the alphabet and saves the top 5 scores. My kids can't get enough of it. I was just wondering if the alphabet aspect of the game had any merit with younger kids learning their alphabet. I love when I can find things on the computer that are fun and help motivate the kids to do things other than games (Like "Live" said, most kids treat the computers as toys...)