Do kids finish your sentences...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emma35, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2009

It never really bothered me before but this year I have some kids that will finish my sentences for me. I guess I have a bad habit of pausing sometimes, probably to collect my thought, and some of the kids will just yell out the ending to my sentence. Like "OK, time to go to...(and I may pause for a brief second to think of what special we are actually going to) and someone will yell out music. Or I will say "Ok open your reading books to the story...(me pausing again) and they will yell out what story we are on. I know it may sound petty but some do it all the time and it is really starting to bug me! They don't YELL but will say the ending out loud. Does this happen to anyone else?

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

This happens in my room ALL THE TIME!! It drives me crazy. There are times that I do pause as well, but other times they just start finishing my sentences while I'm still talking. It especially happens when I'm giving directions. They just start guessing at what the directions will be.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2009

Yes they do that too. Sometimes I get so annoyed I will change the directions and say, "see, you need to listen to me and let me be the teacher!"

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

Me too! I tend to get really sarcastic with my kids when they start interrupting me! I know that's bad...but I can't help it!!! My latest sarcastic remark was asking the kids if their arms were broken because they weren't raising them like they were supposed to! I just couldn't resist!

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2009

Ha ha! Sometimes we just get to that point!

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

awh I think they just want to be helpful contributors (putting on my rose colored glasses). I enjoy depending on them. "Alright, now today's Tuesday, where are you all supposed to be going right now?!?"

8. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 25, 2009

I can see it both ways. I think that kids are bomboarded with the cloze technique. As if that is what they SHOULD be doing.

But they need to ALSO be informed that 1) it can be seen as rude, and 2) that in doing that you are robbing others of the opportunity to be ...brilliant.

I'm a firm believer of raising/teaching kids to BE as they need to be in the REST of the world (FOR the rest of their lives). How often is interrupting others or finishing sentences even appropriate in life?

9. marrbarr

marrbarr Rookie

Nov 25, 2009

You can also direct students to one of your classroom consequences if they interrupt. For example...if you say, "Now we are going to ..." and a child blurts out, "open math books". You can say, "No you are going to write a discipline letter to your parents while the rest of the class plays our favorite math game..."

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2009

It drives me crazy when they do it and I smile inside when they are wrong.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2009

I am glad I am not the only one it happens to!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

It happens to me too! I like it though! It reassures me that they are listening to me and are on their toes! They are such smart little buggers and are so good at reminding me of things I said we would do on any given day!!!

13. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2009

OK Grammy I will have to remember that. They are finishing my sentences because they are really listening to me. Oh, I hope I can remember that the next time it gets really annoying!

14. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 25, 2009

My students do this. it drives me insane, but at least they're paying attention.

15. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 26, 2009

hahahaha!!!!! i love it

16. word girl

word girl Rookie

Nov 26, 2009

This year, more than ever, my students are doing this. Part of me feels like they're listening, and anticipating my directions (which is good), and part of me feels like they're kind of being know-it-alls (which is not so good).

If it's a simple direction, like "put away your supplies" or "time for snack", I let it slide. If I'm giving more detailed instructions, I don't.

When it happens a lot, or the interrupters are incorrect, I just stand quietly and wait them out. Eventually, they quiet down and look at me. Then I quietly repeat what I started to say.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 26, 2009

It always drove me nuts, too. Some kids just simply could not help it. Their intentions were good, but their impulsivity was out of control.