Do it yourself Kitchen cabinets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by MissFrizzle, Mar 20, 2007.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Has anyone been so brave as to reface their own kitchen cabinets? We are thinking of sanding and repainting them ourselves. Just wanted to know if anyone has attempted this and how it went.

Any ideas for country kitchens as far as colors? I currently have sage green, barn red, and a butter yellow.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

My husband has done ours a couple of times over the years. He works at it over about a weeks time, taking off one or two a day. It goes fine, no problems. There are tons of new colors out there, so just get some samples. We went with earth tones in our kitchen this time, so everything is done is different shades of browns. Your walls should be lighter than your cupboard colors, they say. It's time to repaint again and I am considering a very light color this time, maybe even off white. We don't have kids around messing things up anymore!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Ok Grammy, so if the walls are mustard-y yellow.. what color would you use for cabinets??? I'm open for suggestions.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 20, 2007

MY mom and I did ours when I lived at home. We did it over about 2 weeks. There was a lot of old paint that made sanding a challenge, plus the hinges had been painted over. Don't do that! Our walls were a creamy pale yellow color and we painted the cabinets brick red. It looked really nice!

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2007

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_it_yourself/

Go to this site then click on color visualizer. You will be able to put colors together. We are doing our kitchen right now. 2 walls are Fiery Brown and the others (3) around our cabinets (Dark Cherry Wood) is going to be Colony Bluff which is a light beige. Our kitchen is kind of big with huge windows so I think it will look great. Check out the site.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

oooh Erin, I like red.. not bright red of course, but a country red if that makes sense...

Thanks!:D

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Emma,

Thanks for that site. I love the Victorian Palette!!!!!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

What goes with mustard yellow walls? ( I love mustard yellow)

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Ya know, every color fgoes with yellow, so just choose one you like and make it lighter than the walls!

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2007

Many years ago hen I first got married I painted my walls yellow...bright yellow. It was a very bright, sunny room and I loved it. I love yellow but know I have toned down my taste.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Really, I think I meant the walls should be lighter than the cupboards!

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

I like Toile Red from that site

14. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2007

There are some really great colors out there, to many to choose from, it gets to confusing!

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2007

I am sort of planning to redo my kiutchen cabinets. I talked to the guy at Lowes and he said if you can reface them yourself, then it is worth it. If you have to pay someone, then it's better to have stock cabinets installed. My sister just redid her whole kitchen (knocking out a wall and everything) and I'm just going to go with her cabinet people. I'm going with a maple with a spice stain. My dining and living rooms are gold, kitchen is sage. Think I'm going to repaint it, though. I really want to get started with the project!

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Ah Sage, I love Sage. Good luck ' Daisy.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 20, 2007

Thank you. It's a big investment for me. But my kitchen is just way too small and I have to make more room with better use of the space.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

I just want a new house.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

What color should I make my living room? I like the mustard color. My rug is sisal with a black border and I think it would look cool.

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

That's my problem too.:(

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

yeah , that would work too:rolleyes:

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2007

Yes. I think the mustard color would look nice too. What colors do you usually go for? warm tones? .......... I like color. I think because growing up there were just plain old white walls ... so now, every room in the house is a different color.

23. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2007

lol Miss Frizzle you sound like me ...my parents house was beige, beige, beige ...i love color

i did Venetian plaster on my bedroom walls ....hard work but i loved how it turned out :angel:

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 21, 2007

I had a knock-down finish applied to my walls (looks like plaster) because the walls were in such bad shape. I love it. That's when I had them painted, too. My daughter's room got done a rather deep teal color. It's pretty.

I don't really want a new house. I already downsized from a huge house to a condo.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

I don't ever want a huge house. I rather like the smaller sized house we have now, but I want an open floor plan and need 3 bedrooms. We have 2 bedrooms and a basement bedroom. I hate basements. I'd like the kitchen/living room wide open spaces , one master bedroom downstairs and 2 loft bedrooms, much like an A frame. Nothing fancy, just adequate for our family get togethers.

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

I would be happy with one more bathroom ( even just 1/2 bath) and a small den as my personal sanctuary... LOL

Actually, I really really want to wallpaper another room in toille. My husband despises toille.:p

27. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 21, 2007

My friend has her 1/2 bath in toille...cream background with black designs, and she's got all these old-fashioned-looking accessories, an old wooden bucket to store rolled-up towels, dried flowers in a vase, etc. Looks really cute.

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

Yep. That's where i'm heading too:p :)

29. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Mar 23, 2007

I painted my kitchen cabinets last summer, and while it's a big job (took me over a week) it was totally worth it. My house was built in the 70s and had dark cabinets with the original knobs/pulls. I painted the cabinets a creamy white and they are beautiful. My kitchen has pretty much the same colors you said you have...My walls are a muted reddish color, I have sage green dishes, and light yellow countertops. The new cabinets with my decorations give the kitchen a country feel...I use a lot of black iron accents, so it's almost a Spanish or French country look.

As for painting...I recommend using oil based primer/paint on the cabinets. You'll save yourself a lot of time. I sanded my cabinets, but the lady at Lowes said I wouldn't have had to with the oil based paints. I had even seen a cabinet display at Lowes that had cream cabinets with a brown glaze, and I thought I loved them. I tried doing the glaze, and figured out exactly how to make them look like the display, but in the end thought they looked cleaner without the glaze.

Good luck if you decide to redo yours...I think you'll be happy with the end product.

30. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

thanks musicteach,

I'm glad I'm hearing a success story. I love the colors. About how long did the process take?

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2007

I'm hearing cornflower blue cabinets are very country... but hmmm, I don't think that would look so hot.... Unless, I totally repaint the whole kitchen.

My husband has no idea what he's in for.:D

32. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Mar 24, 2007

I think it took me about 8 or 9 days from start to finish. I did everything by myself, though, since I was on summer break. I also wasted some time starting with latex primer and then switching to oil based and trying to figure out if I was glazing them or not. Since I was painting over dark wood, it took several coats, and it took time to let them dry in between coats. I put all new hinges/knobs on them too. I would probably plan on it taking a week depending on how much help you have and how many cabinets you have.

I think I would get tired of a colored cabinet...I really like the cream, because I can paint the walls any color in the future and it will match. My mom is in the middle of remodeling her house, though, and from all the magazines we've looked at blue is definitely coming back-especially in kitchens.

33. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2007

I think you're right. Cream cabinets are probably the way to go. I would get tired of a color... but I did see some nice I sage colored looking cabinets.... :)

My kitchen is very small... I think there are about one wall of maybe 9 or 10 cabinets. I have another wall of empty space. One day when we decide to redo the kitchen I may add additional cabinets, but for now I'm getting one of those kitchen island carts with walls. It's a distressed red with black granite top. Kind of cute and some much needed counter space at the same time.