Do I tell the principal?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by terptoteacher, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

If its clear a ST can't do it solo, I don't turn over everything..the ST continues to teach some 'safe' lessons...I teach what's most crucial. This happened to me once...I made it clear to her university that she just wasn't ready and they had done her an injustice.

2. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2012

Actually when I had a student teacher last year I was out of the room meeting with other teachers, entering data, writing lesson plans, grading papers, AND writing reports and evaluations of her, finding resources for her, and meeting with her supervisor, not to mention that I was in the room during her evaluation time, spending hours with her on her lesson plans, and I was constantly monitoring the learning of my students. I just don't see anything easy about taking on a student teacher, but I think it is a responsibility of our job to help groom the next generation of teachers. My day might look different when I am giving the teacher more responsibility, but it certainly isn't easier. There are perks for sure but leaving the room while the ST is teaching isn't really one of them (unless I have to pee).

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

I know during my ST my mentor teacher was glad she had me. She would tell me somethings going on in other classrooms with the STs and it was interesting to hear the teacher side and then hear the ST side.

The other thing is after I did my solo wks, we were then asked to back out of the classroom slowly (I don't know if others did this), the last week we really weren't to be in the room but only a little bit, we were to go observe other teachers and grades.

I can only say the best thing for me was the substitute teaching helped me be prepared especially in the "teachable moment" arena!!!

I hope you don't shy away, but take this as a teachable moment for yourself. You learned some things.

4. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 28, 2012

So I guess I come from a very different student teaching experience... My university has an internship after we already finish our undergrad and we teach for a year. Most of first semester I observation and team teaching, but the second semester is at least one class completely solo. So if I didn't have any kind of of evaluation, there was no one that was required to be in the room with me...My mentor and I always planned together though and he did observe me on a pop in basis and provide notes of suggestions

On our county wide test my students did average lower than his, and it broke my heart but he was the first to point out difficulties my class as a whole had over his (like students that probably missed class more often than the came, and students that even he couldn't get to do anything) and not to blame myself.

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

Bravo!

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 28, 2012

Do not mention it. You will sound desperate.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 28, 2012

It is for the universities I've had student teachers with as well.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2012

I guess I failed again! :whistle::dizzy:

9. MaggieB

MaggieB Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

My class, my responsibility, no excuses! My district does not leave STs alone in c/r no matter what universities say. The students are assigned to me and ultimately I am responsible for ensuring that learning occurred.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

That's why I would never leave a student teacher to teach alone in the classroom and/or leave an entire unit or topic or whatever on the sole shoulders of a student teacher.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

But that's what many universities REQUIRE. My CT was absolutely not to get involved in planning, teaching, assessing, refinement, nothing during those solo weeks. As I said, this system is clearly broken if teachers opening their classrooms to STs are going to be slammed for the following the procedures.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 29, 2012

The university doesn't exactly have control over the school district though. A program where CT's are required to do nothing is, as you have stated, broken, and the university should be making MAJOR modifications. I honestly can't believe a CT would be required not to get involved in refining or assessing or planning...that's like the whole point of student teaching..to learn it with a safety net.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

I don't see how any principal could let a university come in and dictate how they run their school. The school officials should be the ones ultimately in charge. If I was in that situation the university would either have to make adjustments to their requirements or I wouldn't want a relationship with that school. Let's think about this in another fashion- not student performance. What if the teacher is out of the room and a student is seriously hurt, or a student has a seizure or needs a defibrillator, or there's a fire- and something happens. Is the university going to be held responsible because their student teacher was in the room- or will the school be held responsible? It's a sticky situation and if I were a principal and a university adamantly required ST to be left alone I would tell them I'm sorry I can't accommodate you here. That's just me.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2012

Totally agree with everything you said here too. I totally can't wrap my head around this idea of ST being alone- I'm not trying to be negative towards any of the teachers there because you're just doing what you're told. I'm just looking at the bigger picture.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

My CT stayed in the hall, a couple doors down where there was a large table. She was close enough where I could call for help. But the students realized it was just me. I taught all the same sections and she sat in on one a day. She alternated which sections she sat in on. It was great. I liked it because the kids really do act differently when she was there. I didn't get to try as much discipline management stuff if she was in the room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.