Do I take a job at a school that I dislike?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Scn2007, May 25, 2014.

1. Scn2007

Scn2007 Rookie

May 25, 2014

Greetings.

This forum is such an amazing resource! I've been scouring it for hours. You all seem so helpful and I am really looking for advice, hope that you can help.

Background: BA in Spanish. Taught in Spain for a year. Came home to begin my MAT. Graduated two weeks ago and am certified to teach Spanish 7-12.

I interviewed for and was informally offered a position at a school in my town--it is where I went to High School, and is a stones throw away from my house. Sounds amazing right? I have a job offer only two weeks after graduation, and the school is super close to my home!

Here is my struggle: as part of my MAT degree, I had to complete a year long internship. You guessed it, I completed my internship at this particular school--and HATED it. The school atmosphere is extremely negative, and many of the faculty are openly unhappy. Last year, the principal left in January, leaving the school with an interim principal for the rest of the year. In addition, the head of the World Language department is VERY difficult. Her last three TEAM mentees have failed their papers. The other WL teachers do not like working under her and have even accused her of harassment.

I almost did not even apply for the job, but applied at the very last second out of fear AND because it was a district application, so there was a possibility that the position could be for the other high school in town. I know how tough the job market is, and I'm scared of not getting a job. So I applied and they called me three days later. I interviewed, gave a demo lesson, and that was it. I have my "final" interview with the Superintendent next week, although the principal said it is really just a formality.

I'm very torn. On one hand, I know how lucky I am to have been offered a job so soon after graduation. On the other, I'm struggling with the fact that I may be knowingly putting myself in a miserable position. I'm the type of person that absorbs the energy around me, and do I really want to put myself in a place surrounded by negative people? There are a TON--a TON of Spanish positions in my state (it's a shortage area), do I turn down this job and cross my fingers and hope that the other schools I applied to call me back?

Any advice, words of wisdom, etc would be appreciated. I'm really, really struggling with this decision and can barely sleep.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 25, 2014

So what you're asking is... do you accept a job where you will be miserable and where you will likely be treated poorly/forced out anyway?

Based on what you've posted, there's no way in god's green earth I'd accept that job, and it sounds like you're leaning that way anyway.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 25, 2014

That's a tough one. I was laid off from my first teaching position after 3 years because we lost half our enrollment due to consolidation within the district. I was desperate to find another job because if I didn't by the end of July they would cancel my benefits, etc. I interviewed at a school where I could tell was an environment similar to what you describe. She offered me the job, said she was going to hire someone that day and if I turned it down, she was going to give it to someone else. I followed my instincts and turned it down. A week later I interviewed at the school where I am now and where I think I was meant to be.

I don't think I'd take that position. It's going to be hard enough surviving your first year without all the extra stress.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 25, 2014

Personally, I wouldn't take it. I worked in a horrible school environment last year and it just took everything out of me. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. However, are you willing to relocate? If you're hoping to get a job only in this town or very close surrounding areas, I think you have to take what you can get. If you're willing to relocate, I'd keep looking.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 25, 2014

I probably wouldn't take it. Life is too short to spend your waking hours feeling miserable. However, if the kids at this school are fairly well behaved and I felt that there was a good chance that I could just shut my door and teach, I might consider it--particularly if it's in a super competitive area.

7. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

May 25, 2014

Definitely do not take it! I worked in a miserable school environment my first two years of teaching. By the end of the second year, I had turned in my resignation and declined to sign a new contract, even though I had zero job leads at the time. I would have flipped burgers at a fast food joint before going back to work there.

Two weeks out is way too early to settle for a crappy job. :2cents:

8. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

May 26, 2014

I agree! I am just finishing my 3rd year at a miserable school. It started out tough, got worse, and now I am just counting the days. It's sad because I love my students but the people around me make it hard to love my job :(

Good luck!

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 26, 2014

I guess it just depends on how badly you need a job. I took a job where I knew I wouldn't be that happy because I had children to feed. I figured that I'd gain some valuable experience during that time, even if I wasn't thrilled to be there. I also figured that once I was in the door I would have a better chance at getting a job in another school the following year.

I am all about doing what makes you happy versus what pays you the most money. But if it means deciding between not having any money versus not following my bliss I'm willing to suck it up for a while.

10. Scn2007

Scn2007 Rookie

May 26, 2014

Wow, thanks for the replies, everyone. I know what my heart is telling me to do, but my head is getting in the way, I guess. It is so scary to turn down an opportunity in this economy.

I do really want a job. I totaled my car last month (black ice) and I will have to start making payments on my student loans come November. However, my position is better than some because: I still live at home, so no rent/ mortgage bills to pay, and I am 25, so I still have health insurance for another year. (Edit:just to be clear, I would like to move out soon, not thrilled about living at home still :p)

I work at a really nice restaurant part time, great tips, so if worst comes to worst I do have that.

Another question: how should I go about gracefully turning down this job? Am I going to be blacklisted in the district for being a snotty first-year teacher who turned down a job opportunity?

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 26, 2014

Every district is different. But it is pretty universally true that principals all talk to one another. And while principals make recommendations for who they want to hire, the district office makes the final call.

Tough choice to make. How do your parents feel about your dilemma?

12. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 26, 2014

I don't think turning down a job offer will make you look bad. People turn down job offers all the time. Accepting a job and then backing out later would make you look bad.

13. Scn2007

Scn2007 Rookie

May 26, 2014

My parents are really fantastic. They want me to be happy and aren't pushing me in one direction or the other. They know that I did not have a good experience last year--they heard all about it over dinner most nights. They also are not pushing me to move out. On the contrary, they think that I should stay home for a year to save up and pay off my loans. They are so supportive. I do pull my weight around the house (cook most nights, clean, go grocery shopping) so that helps.

I actually talked a bit with a teacher at the rival high school last night (he is good friends with my boyfriend's brother and I've known him for years)and he even acknowledged that the school does not have a good atmosphere. He revealed the "tag line" of the school: "(School name), where even the Happy Hours are sad". Yikes!

14. Scn2007

Scn2007 Rookie

May 27, 2014

Good news! I have an interview at a neighboring district this Thursday. HR called me this afternoon. I know it's not a guarantee, but I feel more comfortable turning down the other position knowing that I am at least getting callsfrom other districts.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 27, 2014

I was going to say that I would probably have taken it knowing that there would be a new principal. In my experience, if there's a good principal, the school will be good.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2014

No way would I personally do it. If you want to be miserable, but think you can learn to "like" it or just grin & bear it, go ahead.