Do I stick with it?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by prattmb1, Feb 9, 2007.

1. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

I love teaching, and, in many respects, I love the school I'm in.
    I just don't know if I can make it through the school year, let alone face another. Every year I've taught (this is the 6th), I've had my schedule changed mid way through the year. The past 3 years have involved a scaling back of planning time. My first year I was moved from 7th to 5th, then to 5th S.S., then to 5th Math, and then to 5th reading. My second and third year just involved the administration not being able to decide whether they wanted to stick Science and S.S. together as a block or not, and then throwing a reading class in there somewhere through that year.
    I moved to a private school then, hoping it would be better, but each year about this time they "adjust" the schedule, which in the past has meant me losing some, but not all, of my planning time and maybe a shift in when I have certain classes. Today, they pulled me and the other middle school teachers in to discuss the loss of the 5th grade teacher. They are dealing with it by totally readjusting my schedule making me do team teaching where I was self contained before and taking away *all* of my planning time. Plus, they straddled me with the hardest curriculum, Language Arts, because in our school it's all basically "create your own."
    I'd had reason not to be happy with the school before now, and had done some looking last summer, only to be told that because I'd spent so long as a teacher I was now worthless as anything else. Since I wasn't looking really seriously I laughed it off.
    But now, I don't know what to do. I love my students to death, I've nurtured them for the past 2 1/2 years and not seeing them through this one seems like cheating them. But I'm just tired and I can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm to finish the year, and I really, really, really don't want to go back on Monday. On the other hand, I'm afraid that I really won't be able to find work if I leave. I guess I just need some encouragement. I just don't know anymore.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2007

The year is almost over. Hang in there. Find another place to work for next year. Does't sound like a very good situation there.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2007

Stick with it.... you love teaching... remember that. Do your best.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

Of course it's also the middle of the winter and everyone seems to have a harder time going to work this time of year.
    Four months left to go than you can look for another job!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2007

Focus on the relationshp you have with the kids - no matter what you teach them. Get your satisfaction from that. Good luck. Hang in there. Don't forget that you make a difference to your students.

7. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 9, 2007

Especially at a difficult time like this, don't forget to take time for yourself! Sometimes we get so tied up in doing things for everyone else...we lose ourselves. It sounds like you're in a tough situation but know that if you take it one day at a time, you can get through. Best wishes!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 10, 2007

Come up with something easy to implement for the next week or two (Reader's Theatre, independent reading time, novel study) to buy yourself some time to adjust. I can't imagine that all of these mid-year changes are beneficial to the students, much less you.

9. CmsTigerGuy

CmsTigerGuy Rookie

Feb 10, 2007

Where is your union while all this is going on?

10. kris007

kris007 Rookie

Feb 11, 2007

I didn't have exactly the same situation as you, as far as having a schedule change mid-year, but I did have the dreaded feelings that you are describing. I am actually in the process of working a resignation. A teacher told me to try pretending I was a sub for a week or more, and give the students something to do without me having to do much. You could give that a try, and use the time to re-group. If you decide to stick with it, figure out the things that you would REALLY want to teach, and teach those things next. Good luck to you!

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2007

I quit years ago for about 3 months and soon realized it was
    my calling and I loved it. There are much better jobs out there
    in schools. It sounds like you are able to be flexible and roll
    with the punches. It sounds like you have that passion to teach
    kids. Hang in there. Take some mental health days. Exercise every day (cardio) and maybe even pray. All that helped me. Kids make teaching worthwhile. All the other stuff is just an annoyance.
    good luck,

12. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 12, 2007

The end of the year will be here before you know it. Stay strong!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2007

I'm another teacher who just faced a total schedule change; I jumped from Math 7 to Precalculus to cover a maternity leave. Though I must admit: I've taught Precalc many times before (hence the switch-- I was the obvious sub). So it wasn't nearly the problem it is for you.

Silly question, I know, but here goes anyway: Have you made the administration aware of how unhappy you are with the current situation? Are they aware that you have no prep time? Sometimes administrators get so caught up in the big picture that they miss these details. Make an appointment with your principal and see if some accomodations can be made.

As to the Language Arts: are there no notes from previous years? Do you have the basics-- a curriculum or a list of standards? You could post either here and have lots of ideas at your fingertips.

And, to reiterate what everyone else has said: this is the most miserable part of the year. I don't know where you're located, but around here it's cold and nasty and dark and dreary. (although we are all doing a snow dance for Wednesday.) Give it a month or so. We'll see signs of spring and things will look a whole lot brighter!