Do I Stay or Do I Go Now?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rookieteacher:), Jun 4, 2014.

1. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jun 4, 2014

I am currently at a new school. I have been here for a semester. In this semester I have learned a lot but also dealt with a lot.

Starting mid-year was difficult. Students were very protective of the teacher before me. I am finally at a good place with them but with my department is another story. They are good friends and talk about everything while I usually sit there. If I try to join in I am talked over. I once tried to express my thoughts to them about how I felt isolated. I have even tried picking up extra grading and lesson planning during lulls in IEPs. I'm a SPED teacher and they are a content team. During that talk it turned from how I feel to all of them telling me what I have done wrong since I started. I left feeling more upset then when I started. Now in class my co-teacher and I just talk about business and nothing more. We don't really plan anymore either.

I am back with this same team next year and I am not sure how I feel about that. I know it will be much of the same because it hasn't improved since the talk.

I'm debating trying to stick it out one more year for the experience or trying to find a new job. I worry I may be jumping the gun but I am not enjoying teaching here. I have half a year here and half a year as an assistant last semester. I worry a new school will see me as un-committed.

I appreciate any help! Thank you all!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

I'm sorry you have been treated this way. Unless you see things changing, you will need to decide if you can work under those conditions for another year.

I have seen this happen before with SPED teachers trying to work with content area teachers. So, if you move, the grass may not be greener.

Good luck with your decision and your career.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

Applying never hurts :)

Sometimes it is easier to make a decision when you actually have options instead of trying to guess.

5. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 5, 2014

:yeahthat:

I was on the fence about returning to my current school but decided to apply to a few select districts just to see what would happen. I was excited to see a position open up in my dream school, went on an interview, and learned that not only was it my dream school but I'd be teaching AP biology. I waited almost a week on pins and needles before they finally called to offer me the job! In retrospect, I can hardly believe that I almost didn't bother applying.

Give it a shot--an amazing opportunity might open up but you'll never know unless you go for it.

6. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

I don't think that is normal - having to take that sort of treatment from gen ed teachers. I'd look at other places. it sounds like those positions you had there weren't permanent positions, anyway. I would, however, think about the criticisms they gave you, and if there was any truth to them, alter your behavior with a fresh start at a new school. Having good relationships with your gen ed teachers will make or break you. Look at yourself as a lobbyist for your students. Adversarial relationships with gen ed teachers are not in the best interest of your students.

7. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 9, 2014

If you do decide to stay, I would suggest trying to talk to them individually about your feelings/concerns rather than as a group. Sometimes groups can create a "mean girls" or "ganging up" mentality that may be avoided by a one on one convo. Just a suggestion.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2014

I would definitely try applying to other schools/districts.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2014

Are you saying that you go there will be trouble.
    But if you stay it will be double?

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2014

Go, if you can. Stay, until you can.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 9, 2014

I started singing that song the second I read the thread title! :whistle::whistle:

12. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jun 13, 2014

Hello all!

I had that song stuck in my head the entire time I wrote the post. With the way the rest of the year went (school is over now) I think if I stay it will be double...maybe triple. Haha.

Unfortunately after I posted this things got worse. We stopped working together at all. They refused to tell me what I had done so wrong that made them feel this way towards me so to this day I still don't know. That stinks because I have no opportunity to defend myself or clarify if they were mistaken about something. When they refused to tell me I just told them I would just work somewhere else for the rest of the year. I didn't want to deal with it.

Listening to your advice I found my dream job! They are beginning to look at applications next week so I am praying I can get an interview. I just posted in the Job Seekers forum asking for advice on the best way to get your name out there.

I know the grass may not always been greener but I have to try!

13. HistoryGirl14

HistoryGirl14 Rookie

Jun 13, 2014

I'm glad you've found some new opportunities! You shouldn't have to stay somewhere where you are miserable.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 13, 2014

I'm glad you found something else. Good luck!

The gen ed teachers at my school are kind to me, but I can still somewhat relate to what you're saying. Gen ed teachers are part of a "team" - first grade "team", second grade "team", etc. I often feel left out because they plan fun things together that my class and I are not part of. Next year, though, a couple of the third grade teachers pledged that they want to do more with me and my students such as team-teaching and projects. I'm so excited about that and looking forward to it. :)

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 13, 2014

Good luck to you!