Do I Quit Mid Year??

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SavingGrace, Nov 15, 2011.

1. SavingGrace

SavingGrace New Member

Nov 15, 2011

First of all, I'm not a quitter, which is why I'm still at this school. However, I think I officially hit my breaking point.

I taught for a year before graduate school, and I loved it. After grad school, I decided to work for a low-performing school. The principal is brand new, and so is most of the staff. However, refer to the reasons that are pushing me over the edge:

A) Principal took away lunch and planning breaks for mandatory meetings...everyday.
    B) 2-3 days a week we are forced to stay almost 11 hours for meetings. (which are useless)
    C) I have excellent classroom management, but we all know there are maybe 3-4 who can never be controlled. I have a degree in adolescent psychotherapy - I know what I'm talking about. However, the principal HATES when we need a student removed, and will publicly chastise you for it.
    D) I've been assaulted twice by students. Each student was given ISS only and sent back to class. I still have one of those students who calls me a f*cking b*tch repeatedly because he knows the administration does nothing.
    E) It's middle school, and we have to stay with the kids during lunch to be their lunch monitors - all hallways must be 100% silent or the teachers get written up (yes, if a student so much as coughs the teacher get a write up)
    F) The atmosphere sucks - as positive as I try to be when I'm in the building, all you hear all day long is other teachers crying or the principal screaming.
    G) We are made to do tons of extra things, at night, on weekends, etc. I get that teachings isn't a 9-5, but it's impossible to get anything done with all of the "mandatory things."
    H) I have students with IEPs that clearly state pull-out. They are not pulled out - nor do I have an aid. All my energy goes to their understanding
    I) The principal is all about "surface shine." She does a lot of things just to look good - but inside the walls it's hell.

I've voiced my concerns, respectfully, multiple times already. Nothing changes. My psychological and physical health is severely declining. I don't want to rule out teaching forever, which I'm afraid is what will happen if I quit mid-year. I just can't take the assault from students (who have severe psychological issues, and need more help than the school can give them) and bullying from staff anymore. Like I said, nothing is ever done and I don't live in a state with a union anymore. I have a job interview for adolescent counseling- which I'm really contemplating taking. Advice?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 15, 2011

Document everything you're written here and make an appointment to talk to your union rep. Don't do anything until after you've talked to the union.

4. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 15, 2011

OMG. This makes me so sad... and it's horrifying, too. :( I'm so sorry that you, the other teachers, and the students have to go through this! Please keep us updated with what you decide.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2011

Did you sign a contract? Even if you don't have a union, the teachers in your school can still work to the contract.

Does the contract mention starting and ending times for the day? Does the contract mention planning times?

6. mctx1

mctx1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2011

I don't have any teaching experience yet, but good luck. It's sad that you and all the other teachers are dealing with this.

7. txteach13

txteach13 Rookie

Nov 19, 2011

Get out, get out ASAP. It's a matter of your health and well-being, don't hesitate to take the other job.

8. kindywindy

kindywindy New Member

Nov 29, 2011

I have been through this. New principals are hell. I went through this last year. Long hours for silly meetings. I was a special ed teacher and they broke rules too. They treated me like dirt. When I complained or showed signs of stress, I was ostracized by the staff, who were all butt kissing the new principal.

I had no break, no lunch, no planning period. I taught special ed behavior and if my kids were not acting correctly, I was gossiped about by teachers who knew nothing about emotional disturbance or odd. They judged me when my odd kids ran down the hallway screaming. Like it was my fault. Then when I had success and my kids moved out of my room, they gossiped about how my kids weren't better than the regular kids?????

The principal wanted to make a name for herself and she did, at great expense.

I quit midyear as did another. I couldn't take it. The stress was killing me. Plus, my students were cussing me out all the time.

My advice: go to the special ed dept and tell them about the pull outs. The law is being broken and this needs to stop.

Next, tell the principal how you feel.

Last, if you are stressed out still and it gets worse, either bite the bullet or quit.

If I was a principal I would not hold quitting against anyone who did it for a valid reason.

I also will never again work for a new principal. Ever.

9. kindywindy

kindywindy New Member

Nov 29, 2011

I also want to say that if you stay, next year go to a performing school. These non performing schools will kill you because they blame you for the problem. And if you the school doesn't perform, it will be even more hell next year. Get out is my advice, either now or don't renew next year. I sympathize with you and understand exactly what you are going through.

10. Killertofu

Killertofu New Member

Dec 6, 2011

Same situation here

I have slowly, but surely having all my planning time and my lunch time taken away from me as well. I work in a high stress situation and I am struggling with my work load, it seems no matter how long I work or how much I do at home, I am still not able to do what my predecessor was able to do. I know I am taking on much more then my predecessor did, but I am losing the good fight and don't know what to do next. This work environment has gotten so bad I am vomiting from stress. If you found a solution let me know, I need something to change.

11. Sisosig

Sisosig New Member

Apr 27, 2014

I'm facing a similar decision. I've been miserable at work this year. I've been in the district several years, but witha a new principal this year, moral has plummeted. I feel completely burnt out and am exhausted by the mere idea of going back to work tomorrow after February break. I'd like to quit, but am worried about leaving with only two months left of the year and not having anything lined up yet for next year. Any suggestions?