Do I put 1 year or 0 years teaching experience

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rbart, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Mar 29, 2013

I am finishing up a LTS position in April, I am starting to apply for jobs for next year. Most of the jobs I apply for are on Applitrak. I am not sure what to put as far as experience. There is a drop down menu which has 0 years, student teaching, 1 year and so on. I have been looking for a job almost 4years now. I have 3 years of daily subbing and 1 LTS for 6 months. I know daily subbing does not count as experience but I feel that I don't want to continue to put student teaching as I now have more experience. I feel no one looks at my applications (5 interviews total) because of my lack of experience. Would it be wrong for me to check 1 year experience? I am not sure what to do. I wish I knew how they chose applicants using that system! I feel there is no way to make me stand out. Any suggestions or what would you do?

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Mar 29, 2013

I would count the LTS position as experience since you had to do lesson plans and assume the duties of a regular teacher for a long period of time.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2013

Can you get in touch with that district's HR person? Or possibly check with a few different districts to get an idea of whether districts would consider that experience or not?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2013

Count the LTS :thumb:

6. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Mar 30, 2013

Count the LTS and round it up if there isn't anything inbetween. I've never really cared about those online applications much. I usually fill out the minimum required fields. What has always mattered is that I upload my resume. They can get all those info just by looking at my resume anyway. I've never had problems getting interviews either.

7. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 30, 2013

I think that drop down box is referring to experience as a full-time teacher. As far as pay purposes go you will be considered as having 0 years experience. If the application doesn't specify that, then I would put 1. I doubt that it will be an issue. You can always explain why you put down 1.

8. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Mar 31, 2013

Thanks everyone!

9. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Mar 31, 2013

Since it is over half a year of LTS, I would put a year . Good luck!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2013

I think one year is misleading (as pointed out already, you will have zero years experience in terms of your salary and other things), but I also understand your frustrations and do recognize the value of your experiences. If they read your entire application they'll see you haven't had a regular teaching position, though, so maybe it wouldn't be too misleading... :)

11. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Apr 1, 2013

I understand the salary aspect I would not expect to be paid for more experience then I have.(this isn't about salary) I don't think these applications are a one size fits all, that is why it is confusing filling them out. It is safe to say I hate doing them as well! I hate writing essays ext. If there was a place to put 6months experience that would make sense, if they look further resume, cover letter, experience ext. they will see I have 6 months teaching experience.

During my time as a LTS I created all my own lessons (art) k-5 for one school and k,1,3 for another. I had a mentor, received my provisional certificate from the state, attended PD workshops, I did all my grades, was observed formally 2x's and informally 2x's, created an art club and mentored students, participated and held art workshops after-school and participated in the district art show. LOL I wish 6 months was an option. I am also wishing and praying this experience will open some doors! :)

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 1, 2013

Put a year. I always count my LTS jobs in my years experience... I did 7 months of Resource, 4 months of grade three, 6 months of French, 4 months of grade 4, and 6 more months of Resource. I also haven't ever been not teaching really since I first started my first LTS, so I count it all. (It gets messier when you consider that not all of my jobs have been full time too!)

13. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Apr 1, 2013

This really isn't an issue. Putting "1" down is fine. If a principal doesn't think you should have counted your LTS and discards you for that then you really wouldn't want to work for him/her anyway.

As long as your resume accurately demonstrates your experience it is fine. I doubt many principal will even look at it. They will likely go to your resume first.