Do I need to have a teaching portfolio?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kittenclaws, Mar 3, 2016.

1. kittenclaws

kittenclaws Rookie

Mar 3, 2016

I did alt cert and only have a little bit of student teaching experience from classes I took after my certification (including my internship). I have nothing to put in a teaching portfolio (well nearly nothing). Do I need to have one of these? If I do, can I make things to put in it and what should be in it? I want to teach PPCD or elementary Lifeskills.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 3, 2016

Do you have any sample lesson plans or assignments? That would be something that future employers would want to see.

4. kittenclaws

kittenclaws Rookie

Mar 3, 2016

Good idea, I guess I can make one for a Pre-K and one for a PPCD class.

5. kittenclaws

kittenclaws Rookie

Mar 3, 2016

I have a book that I created in one of my classes that has activities, a classroom layout, and modified playground from one that needed to be updated for children with special needs. Is this a good item to take with me to an interview?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 4, 2016

That sounds fantastic! The idea of a portfolio is to have documentation of how awesome you are and would be in a classroom. Your book has things in there that other teachers may not consider, and that will stand out.

7. DKM

DKM Rookie

Mar 12, 2016

Must haves:

1. Sample of student work. When I taught ELL over the summer I had them write AND format newsletters in Spanish and English. I saved those copies. Never failed to impress employers.

2. A behavior management section. What classroom rules would you implement? What routines will you have in place for students to follow? What is your discipline procedure? I created a discipline form of how I documented misbehavior a and what consequences I have. I also had a form of a parent contact log. Classroom management is a BIG question in every interview. Having a behavior plan impresses them.

3. Copies of your transcripts, certifications, and letters of completion from any professional development meetings.

4. Your best lessons.If you are able to, provide photographs of the lesson in action with your students.

8. rlrtorr

rlrtorr Rookie

Mar 24, 2016

I have been working on my online portfolio since my third year of college and updating through student teaching, and subbing, and so on. Now I am just starting to put together a physical copy of my portfolio and finding it is easier to add things to it then the online.