Do I have a chance or value as a potential teacher? Currently a CPA/accountant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ivy93, Oct 17, 2015.

1. ivy93

ivy93 Guest

Oct 17, 2015

I am currently a CPA in the largest public accounting firm. I've been a CPA for three years here in Michigan and I am currently 25 years old. I no longer have any passion for my current line of work and the 90 hour weeks have worn me out.

I have recently looked into teaching and a potential new path for myself. During high school and college I was always interested in being a teacher but I chased money instead of what truly interests me.

As a CPA with experience managing a few employees, are there plentiful teaching opportunities for me or will I struggle to find a job? It seems the most in-demand positions are math/science positions, but what about a business, finance, or IT teaching positions?

Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome. Thank you for the help!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 17, 2015

You will need some type of certification, and I know MI has been a tight area for jobs lately.

Prior experience is often helpful in getting a job and my district has a huge career tech program with lots of business/accounting classes for students who then continue on to college.

Good luck!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 17, 2015

The best way to get a job relatively quickly and to be assured of being a high-quality candidate would be to find an initial certification grad program.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2015

Some irony... I'm a Michigander that recently left teaching and I've been researching accounting programs for nearly a year.

Anyway, I don't know the high school market very well since I am elementary. I think technology based fields are more in-demand than math or science. There will be less postings, but there will also be less applicants. Most schools still have a large applicant pool for secondary math and science. Charters, Detroit Public Schools, and EAA are easier to get into and even have positions unfilled.

Do some research. Look up the ISD or RESA for major counties. They often have an employment consortium so you can see the openings for most districts in the county in just one place, and if not, links to each district within the county to search on their page. (I said major counties because hiring season is over for the year, so smaller counties will likely be empty or near empty.) I'd start by looking at counties like Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Genesee, Ingham, Saginaw, Kent, etc...

6. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Oct 17, 2015

I speak from experience... Yes! You can have a career in education. I have my bba in accounting and spent two years in an accounting atmosphere. I too, chased Money in college and after long, lonely days in my cubicle for a year, I regretted my decision.

Last year, I began my alternative certification and in July I got my first Teaching job as a 6th grade math teacher. It's tough and I work a lot harder than what I did in the office, but I love my job.

So yes, you can get a job in education after a life in accounting. But it really depends on your state how easy or hard it will be to acquire said job. You'll need to do a lot of research though to find out what you need to be certified and what subjects are critically needed.