Do I have a better chance becoming a full-time teacher by

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rockangel312, Aug 1, 2010.

?

Do I have a better chance getting a teacher job by

1. Taking an aide position in a district

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Substituting in a district

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 1, 2010

Not sure if I should take an offered aide position or substitute again :/

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 1, 2010

Well, being an aide you are only focused on one school and (I'm assuming) pay is....."ok".....

Being a substitute you would possibly make more money and have the chance to get to know a bunch of different schools and principals. You would get more of a feel for which school would mesh better with you and your beliefs.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 1, 2010

I think the chances are just about equal.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2010

I was an aide this year and will be again this next year. I think that had I subbed I could have made a lot more connections.

6. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I subbed and I always got a different school. There were two I would get more than others, but not a whole lot. There are so many substitute teachers out there. Anyone know anything about salary for aides and benefits? I was offered some positions at preschools, but the pay is only ten bucks an hour :/

7. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 1, 2010

I've done both and neither seems to have helped either way - I'm still looking.....

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 1, 2010

How come you decided to continue as a para? Why not sub this year? I think you are amazing STG and it still bothers me that you have not found your own classroom. I just don't get it sometimes! :mad:

9. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

It's a crapshoot either way as it all comes down to the people who do the hiring. You might want to do some research to see if the district hires a lot of internal people.

You're not going to make a lot of money as a substitute or teacher's aide. However, most districts offer a benefits package with the aide position.

10. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

You can also shoot for an urban district. There's usually more of a need, so you are more likely to get in as full time if they want you.

11. bizzbeth125

bizzbeth125 Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I haven't subbed yet, but a lot of my friends are subs in the Bay Area and weren't getting consistent calls. (Many 2-3 times a week instead of 5 days a week) and the pay was about $125-ish a day.

I took an aide position this year while I finish up my credential (it counts toward my classroom hours so it is perfect) and I'll be getting $33K plus benefits. It is at a religious school and I get about 30 days paid vacation throughout the school year plus sick days.

I think both opportunities offer the possibility, but I think aiding would be better for predictable income.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 1, 2010

I would check to see which would give me teacher retirement benefits. If you can sub and pay teacher's retirement I think I'd spread myself out a little more and sub. Make sure your principals know you're certified.

If you're dependent on a regular income be a para, you at least get benefits for sure and teacher's retirement credit. It may not seem like much but when you get toward the end of your career 3 more years to work doesn't seem as far away as 6 will.

Good luck.

13. JBteach

JBteach Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I think if you sub you will have more of an opportunity to network in a district which can ultimately lead to a job. However, I would find out if they tend to hire teachers if they were paras first. Some districts will do that and others prefer to hire subs for the their teachers.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

Is the aide position full time? Does it include benefits?

How many days are you likely to sub? Will you be able to pay the bills if you don't work every day?

I think the odds are about even, so I would go for the bird in the hand, and work as an aide.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 2, 2010

I think Alice is right. It is about even odds most of the time. We had a para last year that became a teacher this year. But it was understood that the first full time position that became available was HERS. I would ask the P if they tend to hire instructional assistants as classroom teachers because ultimately your goal is to have your own classroom. It is an honest question and you will not be looked down upon for having asked it. As a matter of fact, it might give you a foot in the door. Nothing is worse than doing a great job as an assistant teacher and having many of the same responsibilities as a teacher, but then getting passed over because you are doing a good job where you are and they have the added benefit of paying you only a portion of what you should be getting paid. But again, you have to think about the subbing situation, if you won't get called nearly every day, you might want to go for the steady income. The choice is ultimately up to you. We also had a wonderful sub last year that did a great job and we offered her a first grade position. So, you can get a job from either side of the road. GOOD LUCK!

16. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 2, 2010

I think it depends. This year, I subbed in a very big district with 33 schools. They also had a very large sub pool - around 600 when I signed up in September and they said they have no limit and add more every month! They did not need nearly that many subs, and it was very hard to get subbing jobs. If I didn't sit on the computer for several hours every night and refresh my computer on SubFinder, I wouldn't get a job. And still, I would only get a job about twice a week. Also, a lot more subs wanted to be an elementary sub, so most of the schools had a large sub list from previous years, so it was very hard to get on the sub list. With that said, I subbed very rarely and when I did, I often had to do it at the middle school or high school level because that was all that was available and since I was looking for an elementary job, it didn't help me. I was also at a different school everyday, so it didn't help me network much. In my situation, I think I would have been better as an aide.

Anyway, if you have a huge district of if your sub pool is huge, it might be better to be an aide. But, if you think you have a chance of subbing at maybe 2 or 3 schools reguarly, I think it would be good cause you would be networking at more than one school. I think one issue is that with the economy, so many people are becoming substitute teachers that aren't at all in the education field! At my orientation, there were a couple people that I talked to who had jobs that had nothing to do with education and had lost their jobs and were becoming subs because they were unemployed!

17. lilune

lilune Rookie

Aug 4, 2010

One thing I love about the district where I live (in SW FL) is that the only people who can become subs are certified teachers. I think the sub pool here is over 800 and last year they surplussed over 300 teachers and only surplussed teachers were able to join the sub pool. They opened it up about halfway through the year to any certified teachers. But there are still those that got in before all this who have a degree in something totally different.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2010

I was an aide in two different district I didn't get a job in either of them. They liked me as an aide because I was a cert. teacher.