do I contact the principal?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MizJudy, Aug 8, 2005.

1. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

Hi! I have in my application in the system where I live and there are 2 positions left. I really want one position, right near my house. I dropped off my resume at that school on Friday, but couldn't speak to the principal because she was out of town. Today she was in a meeting with the division principals and her secretary told me Friday, she didn't know how long the meeting would be. Anyway, I know my resume has been delivered to her (either today or tomorrow AM). If I do not hear anything from the school board regarding an interview by tomorrow afternoon (new teacher orientation is Aug. 18), would it be overstepping any boundaries to call her, make sure she got my resume, ask if she's had a chance to review it in regards to the current vacancy, and (?) ask if I could stop by to meet her? Should I do any of the above? Should I wait until Wednesday AM to call? My thinking was, if I follow through with a phone call to express my interest in the position, she know I really am interested in teaching at her school. I don't want to let the opportunity slip by, but I don't want to make a serious breach of etiquette either. Help me, what do I do? :confused:

3. laylasmom

laylasmom Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

What do you have to lose? Time's about up. I say go for it! :D

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2005

I would call! I have called all the places I applied to. I asked the status of the position. They told me if there were doing interviews or if they had hired someone.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2005

I would call as well. Ask if the principal has a time slot open where you could meet with her. If you do get an interview, or even a short time just to talk, take your resume with you. Sometimes resumes are glanced at and thrown in a pile. It will be handy for both of you if you have it ready.

6. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 8, 2005

I would also call. I know you may be nervous, but it's worth it if you get the job. Good Luck! :)

[​IMG]

7. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I think I will call. Should I wait until tomorrow afternoon, to give the school board (or principal) time to call me or wait until Wednesday morning? What should I say? Should I introduce myself, ask if the position is still available, and what else? Ask if she's had a chance to review my resume? Ask if there is a convenient time for me to come by, introduce myself, and maybe talk for a few minutes? Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

8. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

mizjudy,
    you are definitely not by yourself! I applied, interviewed and got the recommendation for a position at an alternative school but I haven't heard anything from the board yet either. since i have the recommendation, should I really worry or just wait for the retiring para's date of effectiveness to arrive? Just be patient and what God has for you is for you!!~chava

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2005

Introduce your self. Tell them what you applied for. Ask the status of the position, and when they are going to be doing interviews. Also ask if they need any other information on you.

10. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

I would call sooner than later - who knows, there maybe someone else there thinking the exact same thing.

11. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 8, 2005

So I should call tomorrow? I have several doctors appointments tomorrow (taking my entire morning). Should I call during one of the many breaks, hoping perhaps for a meeting in the afternoon, or should I call once I'm done and I'm available? (giving the school board/principal time to call). Also, do I suggest coming by to introduce myself or just ask when they plan to begin interviewing? I know, I know, I'm being obsessive. I just want out of where I am and into this school system and I'm really interested in teaching a higher grade. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me! :)

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 9, 2005

I would call asap. Tell them that you're available after a certain time.