Do I choose 4th grade self-contained or 6th grade lang/reading?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by dillpickle, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

I've taught 4th grade before. I've been offered one of two jobs. One as a fourth grade teacher and the other as a 6th grade language/reading teacher. My favorite subjects to teach are lang and reading. I just worry that I won't know as much as I'd like b/c it's a new position. I have to let them know by tomorrow. I just got hired today. What are the pros and cons for both? Thanks

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 10, 2007

Congratulations. What a nice problem to have! Would you be teaching only 6th LA/reading? That might be easier to plan for than all subjects. Andif you already love it ...... I'd probably go for it. The only thing is, would you rather have the closeness of a self-contained 4th grade class (still young, too)?

4. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 10, 2007

Yes...only 6th grade Lang/reading. 4th would be self-contained. I loved teaching 4th grade last year, but I think lang/reading would be fun. Everyone seems to think it would be easier too b/c of less lesson planning. I am not sure b/c I've never taught 6th grade before. There are definitely things I will have to refresh in my mind....such as certain grammar terms I haven't heard since my own 6th grade year. I do have until August to reteach myself those things though. I'm so excited though. I think I'm going to take the 6 grade position.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 11, 2007

It sounds great. That level grammar isn't difficult - and the kids are still kids.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 11, 2007

I love fourth grade, plus I get bored teaching the same thing more than once.

What did you pick?

7. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

I chose fourth grade. Once I got into their classrooms and actually got to observe I totally changed my mind from 6th to 4th. I loved teaching 4th grade and when I walked into that room I knew that was where I needed to be. I'm very happy with my decision. Thanks for asking.

8. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 12, 2007

dillpickle- I see in your bio that you are an upper elementary teacher. May I ask is your degree K-6??? I'm trying to decide which endorsement to go for, k-6 or 4-8. I want to teach upper elementary, too. Specifically fourth grade! Just curious...
    Thanks!

9. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Apr 12, 2007

I teach 7th grade english. 5 classes of the same subject all day is boring and having 100+ students is overwhelming when they have so many learning styles. I would choose the 4th grade!!