Do HS Seniors actually fail in your school?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Aliceacc, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2007

I know they do in mine.

At the end of the final marking period, any Senior who isn't passing (or "close enough" in the teacher's opiniion) fails. Our Seniors finish up in early May (as opposed to late June like the rest of the school. Here's why:

Seniors who fail attend summer school before graduation. They're allowed to attend up to 2 classes during those weeks. It's an hour and a half a day for several weeks (in uniform.) At the end of that time period, they take another Comprehensive Exam. If they don't pass, or if they've failed more than 2 courses to begin with, they don't graduate. They can take additional summer school courses to achieve that diploma, but it must be earned.

I have to admire our administration for taking the tough stance here. Our diploma means something more than 4 years of attendance; the kids actually have to demonstrate mastery of the material.

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

I'm not sure about the district I work in but I know the one I attended does not graduate you if you do not pass your classes. The seniors are finished usually the first week in June. Than they have to attend marching practice and all that jazz. If students haven't completed their classes by the Wednesday before March practice starts they do not graduate. They can attend summer school but they don't get to participate in graduation activities.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

There were quite a few kids in my graduating class who didn't get to march at graduation. If you do it right, the only two classes you NEED senior year are an English elective and gym. Everything else that's a graduation requirement you can have finished up by junior year (3 years of math, science, and social studies, one fine arts class, etc... English and PE are the only thing you're required to take all 4 years). However, our "class size" number for college application purposes was 702, but we only had about 660 kids marching. I the honors student always wondered who's so hard about passing gym (I'm hardly an athlete but earned A's and B's for participating) and English (film studies here isn't exactly rocket science... watch movies and discuss them).

We graduated on Friday of finals week (finals were T-W-Th, practice was Thursday afternoon followed by a school-sponsored party), I think the marching orders were posted that Monday, with the understanding that kids would still be pulled from the line up to and including Friday afternoon if they're not eligible for graduation.

Our girls wear light blue gowns, the boys wear dark blue... the're pretty much obsessed with boy-girl-boy-girl even if it totally breaks the alphabetical thing... which means that pulling kids right before it starts is a huge pain.... but they'll do it if you're not dressed appropriately under your gown (they check!!!) or if you bring anything in your hands (beach balls were a tradition after we'd all walked until they decided we weren't allowed to celebrate anymore since it's a serious occasion)... so I KNOW they pull kids who don't pass!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

They told us (this was in 1994) we were not allowed to throw our caps. It could hurt someone. Well guess what we all had our diplomas in our hands and so we threw our caps. haha
    As for the nothing in the hands that would stink at the high school I attended. At least since 1994 each graduate has the principal's favorite candy in their hand. And when they shake his hand it's passed to him. I know they still do it because my baby sister graduate last year, and the three yrs before that I had students I had tutored graduating.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2007

As a Catholic school, our requirements are different.

EAch Senior has to pass each of the following courses:
    Religion, History, English, Math (either Calc, Precalc or Trig), Physics, Foreign Language (Latin, Spanish or French), Health and Phys Ed.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2007

Oh, we didn't get to do that, either. We didn't even turn our tassels around. Becaue, you know, this is only SYMBOLIC. Your actual diploma's inside, this is just the diploma cover. I actually think they told us that one time... it's too much effort to make sure the right diplomas get to the right people that you have to go back inside afterwards to get it.

They seriously put rows of teachers every 5-6 rows of students so they can't do anything fun. The beach balls never came out until after we'd already gone up on stage. It was a pretty TAME way to say "hey, cool, let's celebrate." It was easier to get away with them on rainy graduations when we were in the gym (being in the band, I played at several)... pretty much impossible on the football field, though. They SEARCH you and tell you "you will not get your diploma if you sneak something out there you're not suposed to have."

I'd rather have the beach balls than the stupid air horns people in the audience use when it's THEIR kid's turn so that the kid after them can't be heard (we do 2 lines, 2 people, rapid fire)

8. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Mar 31, 2007

Yes, I do fail seniors that fail to turn in enough work to justify a passing grade. Having said that, though, I have to say I have learned to pick and choose my battles very carefully and to be very circumspect with my choices to do so and how I document grades.

9. Docere

Docere Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

Yes, seniors actually fail at my school. If they don't have exactly the right amount of credits or greater, they don't get their diploma, don't get to walk with their friends at graduation, and they have to do the courses during summer school or next year. And everyone needs to take four classes to be considered a student.

10. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 2, 2007

I have heard of both not graduating due to lack of credits, and not graduating due to THE TEST (TAKS in the Texas case). I am guessing I will end up with about 22 not graduating due to their TAKS test. They have had 5 opportunities to prove they know English, Math, Social Studies, and Science - and if they can't pull that off then their school career was a waste. I have a student who is a SUPER SENIOR and hasn't passed the state test NINE TIMES!!!!!!! April will be his 10th time at the test, and then I will suggest he look into an alternative.

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 2, 2007

I know my high school pulled people from graduation, definitely. Nobody graduated unless they earned it. Our finals were just a week or so before graduation, and you knew that if those marks came in failing, you were not going to walk and you would be in summer school. Of course, I graduated from a public high school in 2002, and to my understanding, you could not graduate, period, unless you earned a Regents Diploma. No ifs ands or buts about it.

12. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Apr 4, 2007

Our seniors will not graduate if they do not have enough credits. They can earn a certificate of accomplishment or something if they do not pass the exams but have enough credits, but to get a diploma you have to do both.

13. pivikd

pivikd New Member

Apr 13, 2007

Seniors who fail at the high school where I teach do NOT graduate! The guidance counselors have actually pulled kids off the field out of commencement practice to tell them they weren't graduating!
    :( As far as "celebrating" at commencement. . .commencement is supposed to be a solemn occasion--celebrate AFTER the commencement ceremonies are over!! Several years ago, we had a serious problem with each graduating class trying to "out-do" the previous graduating class at commencement -- beach balls, silly string, confetti, etc. The year that the naked blow-up baby doll started bouncing up in the air, I left half-way through the ceremony!! The teachers that usually worked commencement told the administration that if they didn't put a stop to that kind of behavior, we would not be working commencement any more. Thank God our administration listened! We now have very strict policies about the way the kids dress for commencement, and what they can--and CANNOT--carry with them on to the field. The kids even go through metal detectors now before they put on their caps and gowns. Our commencement ceremonies are once again solemn--and beautiful!! Everyone can hear what's going on, and everyone can see what's going on. :cool: