Do first graders work on handwriting?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by timetoteach, Aug 12, 2006.

1. timetoteach

timetoteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

This is my first year as a first grade teacher. Do first graders practice handwriting, or is that over with after kindergarten? I also wanted to know if anyone knew any book series that first graders really like. I would love to hear your ideas. :) :thanks:

3. Teri22G

Teri22G Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

absolutely practice handwriting.

They like those reproducible sight word books, so they can take them home and keep them. Plus it allows them to practicte their reading skills.

Any books they can read on their own is a big hit and gives them a big boost in self-esteem because they can read one their own!!!

4. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

They definetely work on handwriting! I did my student teaching in first grade and we taught and worked on one letter per day at the beginning of the year.

5. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Oh yes!

We did handwriting once a week in first grade last year. I was lucky to have our OT lady come in and help out during that time.

One series that my kids loved to listen to me read were the Junie B. Jones books. Some teachers don't really like these books because Junie doesn't always speak grammatically correct. The kids really enjoy them though.

For independent reading, I found that my students absolutely loved looking through the picture dictionaries. I have quite a large classroom library, but it seemed like the picture dictionaries were some of their favorites.

Best of luck! First grade is a lot of hard work, but really rewarding. You see so much growth at this level.

6. timetoteach

timetoteach Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Thanks

Sounds good. I will practice handwriting with them. I love Junie B. so I will have to use it in my room. I love hearing all the great input. Thanks!

7. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 12, 2006

As a second grade teacher, I say teach handwriting daily. I teach it in second grade. I use Evan-Moor Daily Handwriting Practice. It's a half sheet of handwriting practice that students do when they arrive. (Kind of like bell work)

8. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Hi! 1st grade teacher here....

My school uses Open Court Reading & basically, we do a letter or 2 each day at the beginning of the year. When we start homework in October, we also give handwriting worksheets for homework twice a week.

About reading series...my students love...
    Clifford
    Franklin
    Arthur
    Berenstain Bears

I have dozens of copies of each, sorted by series, in labeled book bins in my room. I get them at yard sales for 25cents apiece.

Good luck! I'm wishing you a great year!!