Do business cards help?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by John Lee, Aug 21, 2010.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 21, 2010

So, I just ordered my first set of business cards as a sub. :) I don't plan on handing them out left and right (I'll probably just clip them on my sub reports for the day, just like I would normally sign my name & number.) Though, I do plan on going out sometime this week, and deliver them to schools (along with my resume), as my sort of way of introducing myself as a teacher candidate. ;)

But I was wondering... do they actually help "business"? Does anyone notice an increase in jobs because of their cards?

3. waffles

waffles Companion

Aug 21, 2010

Since I've only given them to the teachers I'm filling in for and people who specifically answer them I can't really answer as to if they help or not. But I have gone into classes and seen cards from different subs hanging on a wall or in the desk.

Having the contact information on the sub report is great, but my not based on anything in particular opinion is that the teacher will have a much easier time keeping up with a card.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2010

I think they DO help moreso than not. I agree about not handing them out left & right, unless you have enough cards to be able to, but to leave one when you're done subbing for someone & delivering them out like you said.

I was sitting in the breakroom for a few min once & a teacher happened to pass by & ask for my info & I happened to have my cards, so I gave her one of course!

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

Ouch!

I don't like the idea of them being posted on the wall in the classroom - even BY the teachers desk. (My cooperating teacher had them in her drawer.) Mine has my phone number and email address on it. Posting it where a student/students could get that information is a HUGE privacy issue.

6. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

I always leave a handful in the teachers' lounge and the office. I have gotten a lot of calls from people who grabbed those cards and called me directly rather than posting their opening on AESOP first.

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 23, 2010

I left some, but only when I was subbing in my content area.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2010

I like when subs in my classroom leave business cards. It makes it easy for me to get in touch with them when I want them to sub again!

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 25, 2010

In a district I subbed at you can give out your request numbers to teachers. That is a smart way to be noticed and get referred to the jobs you want.

10. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 30, 2010

I just started my 3 week contract today and during my lunch break had a lady come and ask if I could take her business card, she is a relief teacher who has been in the country 6 months. It was the first time I had ever seen a teacher with their own card, I've heard about them on here but in Aus not many (none that I knew of) use them. She wasn't even working at the school today just came in to 'sell' herself to the teachers. Not sure how much good they are though because all state school relief teachers have to be booked through an agency who decided who goes where...but I can see how they might be useful in the private schools.