Do as I say, not as I do. Please.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

Just a gentle reminder: those of you who are able to give blood, please think about donating. Now that summer is ending, there should be blood drives in the schools and churches and synagogues; I'm sure the Red Cross would be happy to help find you a place to donate. They were dismantling a blood drive in our mall last night when we got there for dinner.

You know how very important it is. You know that lives can be saved because of your donation.

I know that no one loves needles, but honestly, it's not a real big deal. It takes very little of your time, and you can help someone so much.

Thanks for considering it.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

About 18 months ago, I started donating as often as I am able--every 56 days. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to start.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 2, 2012

Thanks for the reminder, Alice.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I wish they would take my blood, but it never has enough iron in it. I don't even go by there any more. Many of my friends cannot give (but want to) because they are men who have had sex with other men ever. I sortof feel that if that the blood bank was really that desperate, they could find a better policy. They only make you wait a year if you have sex with a prostitute or a person who is known to have AIDS!

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

My brother had a terrible car accident that totalled his car and caused him to walk with a cane for almost a year when I was 11 and a blood transfusion saved his life. So whenever I give, I do so in his honor.

I'm B positive and my Mom is the universal donor, however, she has a phobia of needles so she never gives. To all the universal types out there -- PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING!! Your blood will save a life.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2012

I agree!

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

I'm B+ too!;)

I used to donate all the time (well when my iron was high enough) in the USA. Free cookies and juice, why not??!!:) In order to do it here, you have to be a resident. Which I think is stupid, but whatever.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I'm AB- but don't donate. I get too light headed when they even take a little blood. I have a history of passing out.

But my mom's doctor actually told her to donate every 56 days because of something with her blood, I think it's too thick maybe?

10. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Sep 2, 2012

I'd love to give but it seems the drives are always when I have no one to watch my son for me while I go do it! :(

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

I can't, but I'll be helping with refreshments. :)

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

People may also want to consider joining the bone marrow registry. They send you a kit and you just swab your cheek. If you can't or don't want to give marrow (it's of course a bigger deal than donating blood), you could donate money so that people joining the registry can do so free of charge. They are already making a big commitment.

I will never forget when my mother-in-law discovered someone would be donating their marrow. The sweetest, most heartfelt card and gift given to her by her donor are still displayed in the kitchen. It was too late for her, but it's life-saving for so many.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 2, 2012

I have been on the bone marrow registery since I was 12. My sister was in need of a transplant and I was her donor. I kept my name on it because I feel that it is important for others.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 2, 2012

When I tried to donate blood after 911, they said I couldn't because I was out of the country for a certain period of time within the last 10 years. They listed the countries, mine was included and said that anyone visited them within 10 year they can't donate. ??

Is that still the same? I understand certain countries can have problems but most in Europe should be ok.

15. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

Miss CeliaB,
    Do you have to take iron supplements?
    Rebel1

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I do. And because of that they tell me I should hold onto my blood! I also take different medicines for high blood pressure.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

I would love to donate, but can't because of of low iron. My hubs donates all the time because his blood type is universal.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I remember trying to donate blood in high school to get me out of calculus class... they pricked my finger to test my blood at first, and next thing I know, I'm waking up on a stretcher. It was the weirdest feeling, because neither blood nor needles had bothered me before. I had tried numerous times afterwards, and always got further along in the process, and eventually, I was able to donate.

Lately, I haven't been able to donate because of the drugs I take for my arthritis.

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I'm another that can't donate. :( Sadly, there seems to be some confusion between the blood banks, the cardiologists and all the other doctors. My cardiologist says there is no reason I can't give blood, but twice I have been told that I couldn’t by the blood bank workers. On another occasion, I tried to give platelets for a friend going through cancer treatment. The blood bank workers did all the prelim work, and I cleared everything, then as they were about to start, they asked me about my pacemaker. I explained my disorder (which is not regulated by medicines at all… only the PM), and they called the oncologist for my friend. He said no because my blood was “thicker” due to my PM. I told my cardiologist, and she said she had no clue what he was talking about. The frustrating thing is that he didn't even *ask* why I had a PM. He just said "no". :( I now have a note from my cardiologist that says I'm clear to give blood, but I don't know that it will be accepted the next time I try to give.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

I wanted to wait a few days after 9/11, figuring that the banks would be over flowing those first few days.

Sadly, a few days later they simply didn't need the blood.

I did ask my oncologist whether I could donate. His response was "I don't think it's a good idea." With all the radiation swimming around my body, I guess it's a good point.

But I hate that I can't donate. It's something so very easy to do, a wonderful way of really helping people at the most basic level.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

Add me to the list of those grateful for people who donate.

I've never been able to donate, but I've needed transfusions several times.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 2, 2012

They won't take my blood either. My blood pressure is always too high. I do have high blood pressure, but it's under control with medication. Needles apparently freak me out enough to get my blood pressure up.

I was also rejected due to having been on kidney dialysis, being on an anti-fungal medication, and having low iron. Maybe one day I'll be acceptable!

23. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

I used to donate all the time throughout high school. I can't anymore since they don't accept blood from men who have had sex with another man, despite the fact that I'm 110% STD-free :rolleyes:.

I would if I could. I admit I've considered lying on the form and donating anyway.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 2, 2012

I have donated a few times. Apparently I'm a great donor - I'm in and out of there quick. I actually set a record last time I donated so quickly! But I'm a really reluctant donor. I go with my sister every federal election - we both vote and then we both give blood. (Voting is super important to me and donating blood is super important to her, so we came to a win-win solution!)

25. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

I've thought about giving bone marrow,but I heard that it REALLY hurts. I remember telling my dad back in college that they asked me about if I'd be interested when I was donating blood and I had told them I'd think about it and dad was like, "NO! Don't put yourself through that pain! Unless it's for a friend or family member, it's not worth it. It really hurts."

26. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Sep 2, 2012

Are you serious?! That doesn't seem right to me. Aren't straight people just as likely as gay people to have STDs if they are engaging in unsafe sex? :confused:

How is your having sex with another man anymore dangerous than me (a female) having sex with a man? I really don't understand.Not trying to be ignorant or politically incorrect here.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

When the AIDS epidemic first broke, it was primarily contained to the male gay community. It spread pretty quickly before anyone knew about it, or thought to use protection.

As such, gay men are significantly more at risk for AIDS.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm/index.htm

As I understand it, you can be HIV positive for quite some time before becoming symptomatic. So I imagine the restrictions are in place to try prevent an unknowing, currently asymptomatic but HIV positive person from giving infected blood. Since they're not really sure how long you can be HIV positive without developing AIDS, I think they're trying to cut down on anyone who's been with anyone who's been with anyone who could have become HIV positive in those early days, before the use of protection became common.

Knowing how desperate they are for blood, I imagine they see the risk as fairly serious. Anything they do that eliminates a percentage of possible blood donors must be for a good reason; they simply wouldn't accept the loss in numbers otherwise.

Just as I'm out for life because of my medical history, they'll deny anyone else who could possibly make a seriously ill patient even more sick.

28. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 2, 2012

I donate everyday, no, I used to but my parents stopped taking me. I'll do so when I'm 18.

29. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 2, 2012

True, but African Americans and Hispanics are also at a much greater risk of having those illnesses, and you certainly don't see them preventing them from donating! It makes you wonder...

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

Ummm, you can't donate every day. You can donate every 56 days if you meet the other requirements.

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2012

If you're getting that from the link I posted, "MSM" in the three red columns refer to "Males having Sex with Males."

Beyond that, I have no idea. I can only assume that the rules are there in the interests of public safety.

If the policies seem unfair enough to you that you choose not to donate, then so be it. But if I were still allowe to donate, I would.

32. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 2, 2012

33. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2012

I used to donate, but I've been denied the past four or five times I tried. I changed doctors, so maybe my new treatments will get me to a point where I can again.

My late husband had two transfusions, and while he lost his battle with cancer, those transfusions got his levels to a point where he could get his chemo treatment. Without them, we would have never had any hope of his recovery.

If you donated in the winter of 2008, thank you. You might have been the donor who gave us hope.

If you are medically able, please donate. Someone else's loved one just might need your help.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2012

I used to volunteer in a blood bank when I was in high school on a regular basis (every Monday). However, I have never been able to donate since I never weighed 110 pounds. Right now I finally made it to 108. Yes, it's a huge and difficult effort to gain and keep weight on. I hate it. Anyways, running and weight training has actually helped. Can't wait until I can finally donate. I have no problems with needles and blood, either.

35. Math

Math Cohort

Sep 2, 2012

I was joking Alice LOL!

36. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

I am not able to donate. I have terrible anemia and chronic tachycardia (my heart beats too fast). I wish I could donate. :(

37. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 3, 2012

If that's the case, why don't they say "any man who has had sex with another man, and was born before year 19XX"?

I am perfectly clean and healthy, and so is my blood, yet I'm not allowed to donate because I'm being stereotyped. Little ridiculous, no?

It's not like the blood doesn't go through testing anyway!

38. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

The gay male thing is outdated and needs to be changed. I believe it will be sooner rather than later. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's up to the FDA or something rather than individual orgs like Red Cross. They really need the blood. I used to volunteer at blood drives for several years and CA had to sometimes bring in blood from other states due to such low donation rates. I highly encourage anyone who can to donate. It really does save lives.

ETA: I found this article about the ban on men who have had sex with men since 1977. Apparently blood banks like Red Cross would like it changed. http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/health/gay-men-blood-ban/index.html

I signed up for the bone marrow registry but I never got my kit! I'll have to send for it again. I think another person's life is worth a little bit of my pain and inconvenience. That said, it does not always have to be so painful anymore. I spoke with someone who did it and she said it wasn't so bad, she was just achey afterward. Here's more info about it from the national registry: http://marrow.org/Join/Myths_and_Facts/Myths___Facts_about_Donation.aspx
    If anyone is interested, you can sign up at marrow.org. :)