Do any of you work part time while teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by futureteach24, Aug 1, 2013.

1. futureteach24

futureteach24 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

What do you do? How many hours per week?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

I worked anywhere from 20-35 hours. Normally, it was around 22-25, but around Christmas, it was 35 or so. I've worked as a receptionist at a car dealership, a grocery store, and a craft store.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 1, 2013

Technically, yes. I do outside work for the district building a database, working with our evaluation system, etc. It's mostly a work at my own pace kind of deal and I just get the hourly teacher rate when I want to.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

I used waitress a 12 hour shift on Saturday and sometimes Friday night. My boss was really great about letting me work only the hours I wanted (but I had worked for him since HS).

I don't do it anymore, though... when I switched to my current school, it just got to be too much for me to handle.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

I did for 3 years. I worked as a waitress Friday and Sat nights, occasionally picking up shifts on other nights and holidays. It was horrible and I refuse to do it again unless I have no other choice. I had zero social life and all I did was work, work, work. I had Sundays "off" but that's when I did my planning and grading.

I used to work for Whole Foods in college and it was actually a great job. If I ever have to work PT again I'd return to that company.

7. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I teach a GED preparation class. Usually, I work between 12-15 hours a week at that job.

8. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

I teach online as well... somewhere around 20 hours a week.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

no, but I think I might work during the summer in a few years when my kids are older.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I work in the afterschool program at my school. It's about 13 hours per week and it pays better than retail or the theme parks.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

Dismissal duty every day (about $250 per month)
    After school enrichment classes at my school (2days per week for 8 weeks in fall and spring, $70 per day)
    Tutoring several days per week...off the books

12. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

I worked Saturday school and after school program, about 10-15 hours a week extra. I've always held down multiple jobs. It's exhausting, but I think working multiple jobs that are DIFFERENT is less exhausting. When I taught and worked part-time at Barnes and Noble, I was less drained. Teaching kids + more teaching kids gets really tiring.

13. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

I used to be an assistant basketball coach at a local university last year. It was my first year with my own class and I had a little baby girl born that year..... too much to handle. This year I am just coaching a after school basketball club once a week.

14. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 2, 2013

Last year I worked at an afterschool program, worked for the nearby university and went to school but I only taught part time.

15. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 2, 2013

I think working at home part time would be the best for me. I wish I could find one. :(

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 2, 2013

Yes, I've worked at a teacher store for 3 years. I work about 16 hours per week (two 4-hour weeknight shifts, and one 8-hour weekend shift) during the school year. Although it is a wonderful second job, I absolutely hate having 2 jobs. My last day is August 24th, and I couldn't be happier. It is really tough. Teaching in itself is a 60-hour per week job (for me, at least), so I typically work 70-80 hours between the two jobs. It is very exhausting.

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2013

I used to tutor, but stopped once I started using Teachers Pay Teachers. It has been such a blessing to our family.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2013

No & I hope I never have to. Actually, I am kind of getting started now with this work at home thing. Hope it works out.

19. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I do private tutoring and also work as a seat attendant at the ball park during the summer & fall (pro baseball). Tutoring pays much better, but during this past summer it's been fun to do something completely different than teaching. This winter I might also look into part time retail since I'm about to finish my MEd.

I also teach yoga to faculty and/or high school sports team and my school pays me a stipend.

20. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

Get out - you get paid extra to dismiss the students?!!! Is this for regular dismissal? Nice

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 2, 2013

My first year I worked at our after school program which was two hours after school Mon- Thurs. The money was really nice (almost 30 an hour) but it was really hard to stay another 2 hours with students! We already had a 7.5 hour student day. The next year our schedule changed and the regular student day didn't end until 4. I just felt I couldn't stay until 6 with students and keep my sanity, haha.

Last year I did an hour of tutoring after school Mon-Thurs. They paid us for an hour and a half (for 15 minutes of snack time and 15 minutes of planning) and it was 28 dollars an hour. Having it only be an hour made such a huge difference...it was not nearly as stressful.

This year I have a friend who is running an after school computer based program and she's looking for some tutors to even tutor from home online. I'd love the extra money, but I'm also starting to my master's program this fall and I don't think taking on another job too is a good idea. I'm hoping to somehow still have a life outside of work and my own schoolwork for my masters program!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

It's a stipend position...not an assigned duty. I stand in traffic loop making sure everyone gets Picked up and not run over...I see such bad behavior...:dizzy:

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I forgot. I guess I currently do work 2 jobs because I am a Thirty-One consultant. But I get to choose when to work, so it is not a big deal.

24. bigjohn

bigjohn New Member

Aug 2, 2013

I work 20 or so hours in my part time job teaching online classes and developing curriculum, and probably 30-40 hours a week during most of the summer. The money is decent but I am getting extremely burned out.

During the school year I literally work 12 hour days 5 days a week and play catch-up on the weekends depending on the time of year. I coach basketball so Nov-Feb is even worse. I love my job but with our pay scale I have to work the extra jobs to have any play money or savings at all.

Funny, I don't see our local bankers or CPAs working part time. Sad statement on how NC values teachers.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 2, 2013

Last year I tutored in our after school program. Not sure if I'm going to do it this year. I'm feeling like I really need a break.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

That's pretty awesome! We have it as duty... no stipend. Though I have gotten comp time when I've stayed late at duty during torrential downpours.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2013

In the past I have received stipends for sponsoring clubs. I've also sold preps, which amounts to several thousand dollars per year. Both those jobs were part of my regular school day or right after school. I couldn't handle a second job that was entirely separate from my teaching job.

28. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 2, 2013

When I first started teaching, yes I did work two extra jobs. For one of them I made my own hours and only had to log time once every 3 months to stay employed. I typically worked at least once per week though. Between the two, I probably worked at least an extra 10-15 hours per week.

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

I had my own business for about four years. Loved loved loved it, but we paused it when our son was born. I'm an busines lady at heart, though, so I'm sure after I've gotten settled into this new position and Henry gets a little older I'll either re-start Sprout or do something different.

I have 'work for Disney' on my bucket list, but dh refuses to move to LA or Orlando. He pointed out we have a Disney in the outlet mall about 45 minutes from here, so I may see if I can grab some summer hours there next year just for kicks. :)

30. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

I work an additional 5 hours a week helping people get their GEDs. It's not a lot of hours, but I get paid {very} well, so I keep doing it!

31. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 3, 2013

I have wanted to work part-time but never had. In the past I did afterschool tutoring which was decent pay. Now that I'm in grad school I don't see myself having time to work part-time.

Around the holidays I may look into craft store or Barnes and Noble.