Do any of you teachers use classroom microphones?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Aspiringinstruc, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

I want to purchase a microphone and speaker set for my classroom. I saw it used during student teaching and it was great during reading when students were quiet. What do you all think. The school district doesnt provide them.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I don't think I understand. How was it used when students were quietly reading?

4. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

Sorry it's late... i'm sleepy. It was used for those quiet students who could not project their voice well during classroom reading or presentations. It was a great tool.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

Oh, got it.

Yes, I've used them. Mine was a voice amplification system for students with various special need and were supplied by school. Very nice! You could always buy a cheap karaoke machine for your students. :)

6. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

That's smart i'll look into that.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 2, 2013

Yes my school is outfitted with them in every classroom. It's considered an accommodation for kids who can't hear when the person speaking is far from them. I like the microphone, and use it as the "Talking Stick" in meetings. Whomever has the talking stick has the floor.

8. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

so even though the school doesn't provide them you all think it would be cool to purchase my own microphone and amplifier set for a good price?

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

I do! Before I had the sound system, I used a karaoke for a presentation project and my kids were so confident holding that mic!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I had one this year because I had a student with a hearing impairment.

12. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

Jul 2, 2013

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2013

That would be much better! Assuming it has far enough reach, you could pass it around the room just we did with the big fancy system. For that, the teacher had a lapel or necklace mic and also had a handheld one for students. I think you'd love it. And it's not like it will be so loud that it will be a disruption to others.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 2, 2013

I've thought of getting one before, not only for the students, but because I've been plagued with laryngitis the past couple of years.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2013

I used to have an audio enhancement system in my old classroom. I used it occasionally, mainly to emphasize easily-confused pronunciation issues (I teach foreign language). A few times I used the microphone as a talking-stick like others have mentioned. Students who didn't always want to participate always liked to ham it up on the mic, so that was definitely a plus.

16. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 2, 2013

I was going to suggest this. If you bought a machine labeled as a school product it would cost $500. If you bought the exact same machine labeled karaoke machine it would cost $50.

Just look at how much those ridiculous little boom boxes cost in all the teacher magazines.

Fastest way to reduce the cost of education. No more buying from teaching stores/companies.

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

We have them in every classroom - a student handheld microphone and a lavaliere one for teachers. Teachers are required to wear theirs every day. And the kids love using a mic to read aloud.

18. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 3, 2013

Yes but I prefer not to use it.

In my experience, the louder my voice is, the louder my students get. When I talk quietly, they stop and listen.

19. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Jul 3, 2013

My principal bought all of us a RedCat system by Lightspeed. It has a speaker you place in the back of the classroom and a small mic that you wear around your neck. There is also a separate mic for a student to use. I really like it and use it everyday.

20. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 3, 2013

We use the same system mentioned above and I love it. Not only do I not feel like I have to yell to get their attention when I wear the lanyard mic, the kids love being the "star speaker" and using the other mic. I know the kids last year realized when I stopped talking that they needed to get quiet quickly because even when I was in small group they could still hear. When I stopped that meant I needed their attention.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2013

I find that the good systems doesn't so much as make your voice louder...just kind of distributes it more evenly and crisp. If it was just louder, I wouldn't like that nearly as much. :)

22. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 3, 2013

That's exactly why I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HISONIC-HS120B-Portable-Wireless-Microphones/dp/B001H42HD6/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

It enables me to talk very softly, yet still be heard by everyone. When I do get laryngitis, it is wonderful. I'm able to recover my voice much more quickly by using this.

It has lasted for 2 years, but on the last week of school this year the headset broke. The company will replace the headset for $15.

I find that it is very helpful for the students as well. They are able to clearly hear me no matter where they are in the room.

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013

This is how ours works, too :) I love it... no vocal strain!