do any of you teach PD?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GTB4GT, Jul 14, 2014.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 14, 2014

just came from a 3 day PD session. it was not very effective imo (due to content not due to instruction). It was lead by two women who currently are teachers in my state. I went to another session last summer, also lead by two teachers. these look like pretty "sweet" gigs (as my kids would say). do any of you do this in the summer? how does one get involved? is the pay worth it? as always, thanks in advance for your reply.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

I've done several PD's for my school and district. I get paid a per-diem rate if I'm working outside contract time.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

I've done PD for schools I've worked in. In NC, I did not get paid. They don't pay for extra duties. In MI, I was paid an hourly rate for my preparation time.
    I've also co-presented at a conference. No pay there though.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

I've done PD once and I did not get paid. It was during the year and I was on a committee that organized PD for our division.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

I have done a lot of PD for my district, area districts, and even across the state. I've never been paid.

7. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 14, 2014

The PD was just last week.These women were working during the summer. Surely they must be getting paid?!?

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

I did one last week and wasn't paid for it. It counts as double hours for our PD requirements for the year (because you are presenting and attending basically) and it's part of our evaluations now, you can't get the highest rating unless you actually present one. That's why I do it.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

Not necessarily. I've done PD for my district & not been paid. I've done PD for conferences and sometimes I've been paid & sometimes I haven't. Sometimes, the "pay" is in the form no registration or reduced registration fee.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2014

Same here. I've presented PD in two different districts and I never got paid, but on our evaluation system you have to lead PD to even be in the "proficient" category for that section. Ours was always during the year though. Not requiring any PD in the summer is one of the few things unions can actually protect in my state.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2014

My colleague and I were our school's reps for a new initiative my district was trying. We went to PDs on the initiative then had to come back to our school and lead PDs for our staff as well as help them complete the process over the course of the year.

We were paid $300 each. I don't think it was worth it but I had no choice in the matter.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

I've taught both grad classes and inservice pd. I've been paid for both, but hardly a 'sweet deal'...it takes A LOT of work to plan and prepare for meaningful learning opportunities for professionals. it's not something you shoud do because you consider it an easy buck.:2cents:
    You should always fill out a feedback form after any pd you take so that the renters can make adjustments for future workshops. It's just not worth your time to engage in worthless, badly presented pd.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2014

I'm an instructional coach for my district. There are about 40 of us, and we commit to presenting 10 hours of workshops during the course of the year, for which we receive a $2000 stipend. It's a lot of work to prep the workshops, but I enjoy it. The secondary English ICs have been meeting to plan over the summer, and we get paid an hourly rate for those meetings. We don't get PD credit for presenting, though; we still have to get those hours.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

Not me. Even the summer PD is not paid.
    I CAN double my PD points.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 14, 2014

I've presented locally and wasn't paid. I know of two teachers who presented at a service center. They got "paid" with credits to attend other workshops for free.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2014

I'm attending a 3-day workshop, which starts this morning, that is organized by our teachers' federation and will be facilitated by teachers. (There are over 100 of these throughout the province every summer). I know that the facilitators are paid an honorarium and have their accommodations paid for if they are out of town. The teacher who was across the hall from me last year is teaching a session this summer and I know how much work she was putting in planning, starting in May.

It's certainly something I'd be interested in doing sometime, for the experience, though, not for any financial benefits.

17. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Jul 15, 2014

wow. the responses have been all over the board. I guess it varies by area. I don't discount the prep work required for anyone who is involved but $2,000 per 10 hrs. of presentation would certainly be an attractive incentive. doing it for free to achieve a certain rating would not be (imo). Obviously ymmv.

18. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

I sometimes give PD for the district. We have an hourly rate outside of contractual pay, and I get 3 hours of that plus another 3 hours of pay for presenting. It ends up being around $200 for each PD. Not a whole lot, but I usually find it a fun experience. If I repeat a PD I still get the 3 hours of "planning" pay without really having to plan much, so that's also nice.

19. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 18, 2014

Even though I can double my PD points, that isn't why I do it. I do it because I think teachers are their best when they help each other. Also, it is fun. I love teaching, even teaching other teachers.

20. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

So, if most people don't get paid to present, does anyone get paid to attend? I'm attending 7 days of training from my district later this month and getting paid for them.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2014

I don't get paid for any PD that I do. All that is offered through my school board is free and, if offered during the day, a sub is usually provided.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 19, 2014

I attended 3 different PD events this summer (a total of 7 days). I was paid for 1 event (3 days).

23. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 19, 2014

Nope. I attended 5 so far this summer-do not get paid for it. It's worth it to me to get it out of the way now instead of during the school year. Plus they offer trainings that aren't offered during the year.