Do any of you have bowel/bladder disorders?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Sep 13, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 13, 2020

I know TMI.

But, I have an overactive bladder. I have dealt with it since I was very little. The only medication I ever did take for it caused extreme thirst....so.....face palm.

I have a TA, due to the nature of my job, and I leave the room to use the bathroom at least once an hour. She is very supportive about it, as we have worked together a while now.

But, I always wonder if there are any teachers out there without TAs who have issues like this. If so, what do you do? I quite literally can not JUST HOLD IT!

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2020

I have never been diagnosed with anything, but I've had a "small bladder" my entire life. One of the only perks of switching back to sped from gen ed was that it's much easier to use the restroom almost whenever I want. My groups are only 30-45 minutes long, and I'm able to quickly go before picking the next group up. I also totally lucked out in that one of the teacher bathrooms is right next to my room. I end up going between almost every group, especially in the morning after I've had my coffee. It's so nice to be able to drink a mug of coffee in the morning, have water whenever, etc. and not have to worry about it.

When I was a classroom teacher, I would not drink anything in the morning other than a few sips of water when I first woke up. I had planning first thing and would make sure to go right before I picked my kids up. At lunch, I would drink one 12 oz can of pop. I found water "ran through me" much faster. We had this odd set up where we then had a "data team" every day in the afternoon about an hour after lunch, while our kids were doing EL classes, so being able to go at the beginning and end of that really saved me. Sometimes, even with that I'd have to ask the teacher next door to watch my class. We shared an interior door, so it was easy to stand between and see both classes at once. Had I not had all of these factors in my favor I honestly don't know what I would have done.

One year in my current district, I taught summer school and had 5 hours straight with students. I again took just a few sips of water when first waking up, and then had nothing until the end of the school day. I would keep a big bottle of water in the fridge to have as soon as the kids left because I was obviously so thirsty. I saw numerous other teachers not only drinking coffee in the morning, but also carrying around huge water bottles. That truly baffles me. Several of our classroom teachers carry around those GIANT hydroflask things- like the ones that are a gallon or more. I honestly have no idea how they do it.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 15, 2020

I have various issues over the years that made it necessary to be near a bathroom. I'm really far from the adult bathroom, so I've used the kid bathroom most of the time. I will go to the restroom between classes whenever I can, and I have had a co-worker stand in the hall and watch both groups when it was an emergency.