Do any of you do all day daycare preschool?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Myname, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Sep 26, 2007

if you do what do you get for vacation time?

What are your hours of operation?

How many kids do you have in your class? Teachers?

When do you get breaks?

Do your kids have to be potty trained?

What about late payments how are they dealt with?

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Sep 26, 2007

We do full day preschool and pre-K in my center.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 26, 2007

We're full-day, open 6:30-6:30, but also offer an option for kids (age 2 and up) to come half-day, from 8:30-12:30. We take kids infants through before/after care for school-agers.

if you do what do you get for vacation time? We're closed 7 days during the year, although one of those is staff training. It's in accordance with company policy... ours is one week paid after a year, although we can take other time off without pay

What are your hours of operation? I answered that already... we're open 6:30-6:30, although our main academic program runs about 9-12:30, which includes a snack and lunch. Parents have an option to enroll kids 2, 3, or 5 days, full- or half-time. The half-day program (lower tuition) is 8:30-12:30.They know that before 9 is free play. After lunch is nap until 3, then snacks, outside time, and free play until close.

How many kids do you have in your class? Teachers? Our 2's program is 8 kids to 1 teacher or 16 to 2 teachers. For 3's and 4's it's 10 kids per teacher, or a class of 20 total. There are more on my roster, but about half of them come only 2 or 3 days a week. Right now 6 come part-time the days they come.

When do you get breaks? My co-teacher and I break each other during nap time

Do your kids have to be potty trained? Our Beginner classes are kids who aren't 3 yet or who are 3 but not potty trained. They're supposed to be trained to be in my room, but, well, see some of my other posts for THAT issue

What about late payments how are they dealt with?I know there's a fee applied, but I'm not sure of the specifics, because I don't take care of tuition.

Hope that helps! :)

5. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

My director doesnt have late payments. I wish she did I would be a millionaire:lol:

Let me ask you...What is the going pay rate? I have been at the same daycare for 10 years and still make single digits in pay. No vacation pay. No perks what so ever.

6. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Sep 26, 2007

if you do what do you get for vacation time? 1 week after one year of working fulltime

What are your hours of operation? 7:30-5:30

How many kids do you have in your class? 8-10 (if they attend on different days and not all 10 at once)

Teachers? 1

When do you get breaks? 30 minute lunch break, usually at some inconvenient time to "get it over with since so and so leaves at 1 p.m." :whistle:

Do your kids have to be potty trained? No, but our youngest class is 2 year olds

What about late payments how are they dealt with? Usually the director leaves a note saying that the child can't attend until the bill is paid. This is not effective because she is a poor communicator and doesn't contact the parents directly as often as she should. (But then again, she's PART-TIME :rolleyes:)

7. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

onwer deals with that.

8. Myname

Myname Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

KEEP SMILING you asked about pay? I have been at this preschool for 5 years now. MY 3rd school year full time. pay rate was different when I was not a teacher qualified.
    Our aides start out making $8 an hour. Once you are teacher qualified you make 10. I make 11.50 an hour. I am full time.

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 27, 2007

We are a full-day early childhood program.

We're open from 7:30 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Breaks are between 11-2 (30 min. or 1 hr. depending on planning times, staff out, etc.).

We have infants, toddlers, and twos, so no, they don't have to be potty trained.

We have automatic debit so late payments are handled electronically. To be honest, we rarely have late payments.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2007

18 years if teaching Preschool in full time daycare

6:00-5:30
    I have 10 in my Preschool Class, with a total of 13 enrolled.
    I teach alone(thank goodness)
    I get a half hour break from 11 to 11:30
    They are potty trained.
    The owner has a new policy that everyone must pay in advance by Monday morning or they cannot bring their child until payment is made. They are doing this because too many were not paying.
    I make approx. what you make, a bit less.
    We get all paid holidays and after so many years, 2 weeks vacation.
    We are given sick days and pto's(paid time off) for personal days. I can't recall how many at this time, but it's substantial.
    Veteran teachers are given a certain amount of money in a cafeteria plan( I believe 150.00) from our employer and we can add to this during the year. It is tax free money.
    We are given an annual bonus at Christmas, 3% of our years wage.
    Our continuing ed hours are paid for at the end of the year.

11. Jen_F

Jen_F Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

if you do what do you get for vacation time?

Since we are associated with a university, when the university is closed we aren't open. That would make it a week for spring break, all university holidays, ten days in December, two weeks in August, and four days at Thanksgiving. You can also arrange to take time off during other times of the year and are encouraged to since everyone needs a break!

What are your hours of operation?

7:30-5:30

How many kids do you have in your class? Teachers?

Right now 13...soon to be 16. Since our ratio is 10:1, we always have at least 2 teachers, but also have ece students doing requirements for coursework. That could make it anywhere from 2 to 5 adults in the room at one time.

When do you get breaks?

Nap time

Do your kids have to be potty trained?

No, but most are by the time they make it up to my room (4's and 5's)

What about late payments how are they dealt with?

For each minute a parent is late they are charged a dollar which is added to their next bill.

12. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

For each minute a parent is late they are charged a dollar which is added to their next bill.

My sister works at a different day care than I do. At the day care she works at, the parents also have to pay 1 dollar for every min. they are late. BUT they money has to be in cash and goes to the person that is working. (if 2 staff then they split it) If they dont have cash they can go to an ATM and get some-- this makes them more late and costs more money. She said they are usually only late once and then they learn.

I love this idea... If I was the director it would be a policy at my center.

13. zawa

zawa Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I work at a non-profit child development center that is associated with a church. I've worked there off and on for the past 2 years and am currently a temporary employee (my choice), so I don't get benefits or paid time off. In order to get benefits (including paid holidays/days off), you have to have been working there at least 6 months. Here's what I recall about our policies.

Vacation time: I believe we get 1 day off paid per 2 months (so 6 days in a year). If not, it is something close to that. We also get 5 paid sick days in a year-- and who working in a day care isn't sick at least that many days! We can take extra days off, but without pay. We also get all state holidays off (paid if you are eligible for it), although some are required training days.

Hours of operation: 7am-5:30 pm. The most common work day schedule where we live is 8-4 or 8-4:30, so these hours tend to work well for our parents.

Kids/teachers in class: We have children from 6 weeks to 5 years old. The minimum number of teachers and maximum number of children are set by the state. We also participate in a voluntary ranking system for day cares, so our ratios tend to be below the legal ones so that we are eligible for a higher ranking. Each of the 3 youngest classrooms (infants, 1s, and 2s) usually has 3 full time teachers working in it. The preschool (3s) and pre-k (4s and 5s) have a couple of teachers each, I believe. We never have more than 10 infants or 12 1s enrolled. I think the limit for 2s is 16-- I'm not sure of the limits for the 2 oldest groups, but we have around 12-15 3s I think and about 10-12 pre-ks.

Breaks: We work 9 hour shifts and get 1 15-minute break and an hour for lunch. The 15 minute break is in the morning-- usually sometime between 8:30 and 10:00. Lunch times depend entirely upon the classroom schedule and how many teachers/students are at the center that day, but they are generally between 11 and 3 and usually when the children are napping.

Potty training: Obviously the youngest kids don't have to be potty trained. A few start working on it when they are 1, but nearly all are potty trained in the 2-year-old room. With very few exceptions, they must be potty trained when they begin preschool-- most of them are potty trained before they turn 3, so it isn't usually an issue.

Late payments: I don't deal with this at all. Payments are due in advance, I know. And there is some sort of a fee for late payment. I don't know details.

As for the questions of pay: I believe the starting pay at the center is around $7 hour for new teachers with no education beyond high school. I have college and graduate school education (not in child care fields), so I started at $8. We do not get raises that I know of unless we get further education in child care fields. I really don't know how it works. I just work in the field for now while I'm finishing up my schooling, so I don't really concern myself with the details :)

And the late parents: We have an even harsher punishment than the other centers. I believe we charge $5 per minute that the parent is late past closing time with the money going directly to the teacher. The problem is that the teacher (not the director) must request the money, which can be difficult to do with parents who you must deal with on a daily basis. That being said, a few parents have been late and had to pony up the money-- late pickups are very very rare.

14. charmed3

charmed3 Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

At the center I work at, you get a weeks vacation after one year and two week after five. Every three months we earn a personal day and are allowed to carry one into the new year along with our vacation time. Usually our assistant director covers any vacation time. We get all the major holiday off and are paid for them. Plus, we work 4 ten hour days so we get one day off a week.
    We're open 6:00 to 6:00
    I can have 16 kids in my classroom (ratio is 8:1), right now I only have 11.
    We get a ten minute break in the morning then my assistant and I break each other for lunch during nap (we get an hour lunch break).
    Since we take kids from 6 weeks, they don't have to be potty trained, but they do once they are ready to move up into my room (4-5 year olds).
    As for the late payments, I believe it's $5 for the first 5 minutes then $10 for 10 minutes and then keep adding $5 every 5 minutes after that.

15. RedFox

RedFox Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

3 weeks vacation/year
    Open 12 hours/day
    I have 13 children (started w/ 14 but one moved) and 1 aide
    I get a 10 minute break in the AM, and a 1 hr lunch
    My kids do not need to be potty trained
    I do not know about late payments as that is handled by the office (I try to stay faaar away from issues like that!)

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2007

I am not working right now..but in my position of Master Pre-K..it usually goes like this:

most of the programs that I worked for had parents who received federal/state/local funding. that meant some still had a co-pay, but they were often late. the problem is, directors don't want to make waves because parents have a fit, and pull their kids out. then, the center can't get any money. so they rather let a parent be late then to hassle them and possibly lose that child. but...that hurts the teachers, because when funds are low..the salary is the first thing they cut..hours then late or bounced on in my case NO CHECKS!

finally go one..they still owe me one!

17. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

I get 1 day vacation time for every 2 months I work.

The school is open from 8AM - 6PM with programming hours 8:30-3:30

We have 18 children, and have either 5 or 6 teachers. 1 lead teacher and the others are on a line.

If you work 6 hours you get a half hour break that is usually during naptime. If you work 4 hours you get a 15 minute break that is scheduled in your line.

Our kids are 2, and we potty train them all throughout the year.

Payment information is dealt with by the education director, not me.

18. Myname

Myname Comrade

Oct 7, 2007

what is meant by on a line?

19. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 7, 2007

I was going to ask that, too.

I found out about late payments, because notes went home about a policy change.

Tuition is due on Friday for the following week, and late charges will be assessed on Monday. Apparently there have been a LOT of problems with people paying late, and our Principal and AP have spent most of the week dealing with tuition instead of working on programming. Our home office is really cracking down on late tuition, so we're having to, also. Parents have the option to pay several weeks at a time if they wish, or pay weekly.

We also have a late pickup charge... even if they call, it's $1/minute past 6:30. It's supposed to be per kid, but they've been VERY lenient on it. I closed all summer and unfortunately, the closer doesn't get that money, although they do get the extra pay for having to stay late. Parents that are chronically late picking up may have a higher fee. They sign a form when they pickup and it's added to their tuition bill for the following week.

20. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 7, 2007

Our system works like this:

At a given time there are several activities going on. Freeplay is always open, then there might be a small group activity, and then also a 1:1 session (it is a research preschool for children with autism, we have 6 kids with autism and 12 that are typically developing, so 1:1 session are throughout the day for the children with autism). Other times there would be a person in freeplay, a person running snack, a person doing a 1:1 and another person helping the kids put on shoes for outside.

So basically each teacher is on a line schedule that tells them where there next station is. Theres a large schedule on the wall with 4 or 5 different lines that each teacher is assigned to. This ensures that each teacher is changing activities enough so they don't get burned out, and there are enough new activities available to the kids that they stay engaged.

The Lead teacher makes sure all activities are running on schedule and help with behavior management issues across all zones, as well as some other tasks. They are not "on a line" switching different activities/duties but rather overseeing the entire process so things run smoothly.

Hope that makes sense.

21. blueme

blueme Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

i am open all day, preschool/daycare. I am off every offical holiday that the governent employees are off. Also in my contract it says i have 2 weeks off per year paid vacation.
    I have my parents pay two weeks in advance, so no late payments is an option. if they dont pay, I dont take there kids, but it hasnt been an issue, and i'm very selective of who i take.
    I have a helper who comes in for 4 hours a day who helps w/everything from housecleaning to playing w/the kids while i have a break or make lunch...the best thing i've ever done was hire her. I also break myself during naptime, and try to get all my lesson plans done during that time as well.
    I'm open from 7-5:30 but I have alot of teachers kids and all my kids (10) are gone by 4:30.
    Not all my kids are potty trained, and it works out fine. I take two infants and the rest are 2-5.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2007

Wow! Isn't that similiar to Quantum Learning? I subbed in an elementary school that did that. The school was nicknamed, the donut, because it was a circle. each grade had 4 rooms. there was a multipurpose room which was gym/lunch/meetings/assemblies.

the teachers had a room in the middle. almost like a nurses station. their desks, phones, copier, and a mini break room was there. You never saw any other teachers outside your grade level!

every 50 minutes, a bell would ring, and the entire class and teacher would get up, and move to the next room. so you taught math in one room, reading in another, etc. teachers had push carts, and bags of stuff. the kids had tubs for carrying their things. you never left anything on the board. even when the kids had lunch, you could still see them (they could not see you) inside your bubble station. in fact, you could see all four rooms and the gym from inside your station. even the play area was enclosed in the the circle!

when you left for the day, then you could walk out to the common area, office and see the rest of the building!

I understood the concept as providing total physical response (TPR) for the kids, because they are never sitting to long. and the teachers don't get comfortable/messy/stuck in a rut.

the hardest part was the beginning, where everyone was in a huge multipurpose room. (like being on the playground) and the only way I knew which kids were mine is because they had the same color tubs (storage tubs) one kid sat next to me, and told me I had to call our room! it was soo noisy, other teachers calling for their kids! it was a zoo!

23. slickchik

slickchik Rookie

Oct 9, 2007

Its kind of like that, but because they are 2 they are free to go to whatever activity they want to. This promotes language because they are always talking to get to the next place they want to go.