Do any Elementary teachers like their job, or do they all hate it? I am so sad.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by QuestionSeeker, Feb 8, 2012.

1. QuestionSeeker

QuestionSeeker New Member

Feb 8, 2012

I am currently a sophmore in college. I am a major in Speech Pathology, but after finding out it's "Not my cup of tea" I decided to look into teaching Elementary students. The more I got into the idea, the happier I got.

However, I started researching, and i see nothing but how teachers "wish they would have found another career" or how they "Hate their job, and the pay will never be worth it!" These comments are overwhelming and of course, REALLY discouraging.

I am 20 years old. I am single. I do not plan on having children of my own, because I can't. With that being said, I am a single individual and will continue to be as far as children go.

Would the pay for an elementary teacher of a childless individual really be that bad? I know someone who got a teaching job in my area (Louisiana) who is starting out making 41k a year. They will pay for her graduate school in a few years as well.

Now, I really can't say if 41K is so horrible for someone who is single. I have never lived on my own, so I don't know how "horrible" of an income that would be for me. I'm not looking to be rich, but to live "comfortably". I would like to start off with a nice apartment, and move myself up from there. I would probably begin with a roomate also (My best friend). Would I be able to live comfortably on a salary similar to the one above? After my masters, I would still be paid a little more I assume.

I love children.
    I understand the responsibilities with being a teacher/parent to children who aren't yours. I was raised by a not so good mother and her boyfriend, who left me at school frequently and forgot about me. The teachers had to stay behind, and i could tell the faculty knew "something was wrong" because they would gather and stare at me while I waited, then tell me to come inside, and comfort me later to sort of distract me. I didn't understand why they were so protective of me against my mother until later on. I would like to be that person to someone.

I always read about the numerous amounts of paper work, but i don't think I would mind if i were able to do my paper work around relatives or friends, where I could at least spend some time with them as I caught up with my paperwork.

I am very interested in this career, but does anyone have positives to say about it? Why are there so many negatives?!

What does the job outlook for teachers look like in the next 3-4 years, especially in the South?

Please, have some words of encouragement, only if it's the truth.

Thank you all.
    Have a wonderful day.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2012

Did you look through the threads here at A to Z before you made this post? I think that if you read what the members here have to say, you'll find that most of them love their jobs.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 8, 2012

Hi. :)

To truly see if teaching is for you, get in there! :) Get some experience. When I was in college, I worked in after school programs every year. In these programs, I had my own class of 20-25 students - I really was like a teacher for 3-4 hours a day! It gave me SO much experience in many components of teaching, especially classroom management, planning, and making relationships with students. I fell in love with teaching through my college jobs. You could also volunteer in a classroom - that would be a GREAT way to get some experience and see if this is really for you!

I am only a few years older than you, but I really believe that the things that are truly worth it in this life do not come easily. If they did, they would not be worth it! ;) I'm plugging along towards landing a teaching job because I cannot imagine doing anything else. I'd rather work towards what I REALLY want to do for a few years, working and hoping and praying, than get stuck in a career that my heart is not in.

Hope this helps. :)

5. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Feb 8, 2012

Hi,
    There are many "venting" posts on here that may lead you to believe that many teachers hate their jobs, but I think some of it could be the fact that it's SO important to maintain a positive attitude at work that, when work is over, it's easy to want to "vent" about our jobs to people who understand and don't just say, "You only work 9 months out of the year" or "oh, you teach Kindergarten? You must have it easy with all that coloring!"

All my aunts and uncles were teachers and it was a field I swore I'd never go in to. However, two of my aunts in particular loved their careers when all was said and done. They all remained childless by choice, actually, (yes--I have no cousins!) and made good livings at their jobs. Now retired, most of them are sitting very well financially. This is in a state known for its abysmal teacher pay.

So, in short, I think you have an excellent chance of finding a career you love in teaching. See how student teaching goes, and best of luck to you!

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 8, 2012

I LOVE my job...not always the other stuff that goes with it, but I love teaching kids.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2012

This is the first year I'll be with elementary kids. I never wanted to teach younger kids (taught high school before) but I am quite surprised how much I'm liking it! The kids are FUN! Activities are fun. Teaching is great. I work in Costa Rica and I get paid basically nothing and living expenses is the same or more expensive than where I lived in the states (NC) and I'm doing way more work. But I'm really enjoying it.

You have to LOVE teaching to love your job. Best of luck!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2012

I can't imagine doing anything else--even on those days when I feel like pulling out my hair! There is no job on earth that would be more rewarding for me.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2012

Exactly!

And, on the financial side: I teach at a rural parochial school. My pay is in no reason a perk of the job! But, I am single, and I am able to afford a nice apartment and I bought a new car this year. I very rarely go out to eat or anything (so that's a big expense I don't have), but I definitely live 'comfortably' and am able to afford most of my reasonable wants.

10. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

I love my job! Some days are better than others, but I wouldn't want to go into another career!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

I love elementary education. I'm in another career now (training and development), and I miss the creativity, movement and children every day.

I did not love some of the administrators I worked with, politics I had to deal with or management issues I came across. That said, I see many of the same annoyances in my current career.

We all have moments we need to vent. And we all have to find the school/educational philosophy that fits us. I think if you can find a school with a supportive staff, then it's the best job in the world. If you are in a school that is difficult to deal with staff-wise, you can still make it work, but it will be tiring. But that's ok, too, because many careers/places of work are tiring.

I guess what I'm saying is it is no different than other jobs. It can be amazing, or it can be tough. Part of that is attitude, and part of it is the support of the admin/co-workers/parents. I would not let naysayers discourage you.

I've not found another hobby or job description that gives me a literal rush of adrenaline like teaching does. I have to work at my current job. When I taught elementary, I GOT to teach.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2012

I love my job and my students! Some days are more challenging than others, but teaching students is definitely my passion.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2012

I am very interested in this career, but does anyone have positives to say about it? Why are there so many negatives?!
    Because you arent going to hear from those who are doing their job well, enjoying it ,making a difference in the news...it's the 'no news is good news' syndrome...the reality is there are MANY MANY MANY teachers who love what they do every day...many are here on the forums.

What does the job outlook for teachers look like in the next 3-4 years, especially in the South?
    Hard to predict. There are teachers retiring every year, but contrary to what colleges will tell you, THERE IS NO TEACHER SHORTAGE.

Please, have some words of encouragement, only if it's the truth.
    Go for it. Work hard. Learn your content. Get experience wherever you can. Have passion.

Good luck to you.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

I love my job! It is definitely the hardest thing I have ever done, but so worth it!

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

There are some teachers who love their jobs, some who wish they could go elsewhere, and many who both like and dislike being in teaching.

I think there are 5 things to keep in mind about teaching.

1. Don't let money be the issue. If you really want to be a teacher and you spend your money wisely, you'll have enough money. The first few years though are a bit tough, so try not going into deep debt before you begin.

2. If you are looking for an easy job--this isn't it. I don't care how good you get--it is tough. Teaching is a lot of hours, a lot of demands, and well..children are wonderful, but they aren't always easy....at any age.

3. The best thing about this job is if you have a burning desire to help children, this job allows you many opportunities to truly make a difference. This is what I love about teaching, and why I am still enjoying it after 20 years of teaching.

4. You need to see teachers in action who love to teach and why they love it. This web-site might allow you to begin to make connections. I have seen many posts from teachers who love this profession.

5. Don't wait...start volunteering in classrooms and see for yourself what it is like. The closer you get to the action, the more you'll see for yourself what it is like.

Good luck to you

16. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

This is my first year teaching. I have always wanted to be a teacher and with the little ones... Teaching has not been what I expected but at the same time so much more. Just like any job it has its ups and downs, but if you have a heart for teaching and for reaching kids then its all worth it... :)

17. clynns

clynns Companion

Feb 8, 2012

I am one of those teachers who have more days than not that I wonder what it would be like to have another career. I love 'teaching' but unfortunately my school system is less teaching to learn and more teaching to pass a test. There is so much paper work and logistics that weren't there years ago and it really prevents me from actually teaching. Teaching is a profession for very patient people who are 100% dedicated to it. It's not teaching that teachers don't like it's all of the stuff that prevents us from teaching.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2012

Have you had a chance to volunteer in a classroom?

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 8, 2012

:yeahthat:

20. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Feb 8, 2012

I love my job, and can't imagine doing something else. It energizes me, fulfills me, and gives me a creative outlet that surprises me, most of the time. There are hard days and long hours, but that speaks highly of how enjoyable the job truly is for the right person, that they are willing to do that for so little money, comparatively.

Having said that, if you are willing to live simply in some areas and prioritize your spending, you'll do ok. You won't drive a Mercedes, and you won't live in the lap of luxury, but you also won't go hungry if you can manage your money.

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

I think teaching is way more work and way more stressful and way more demanding than I ever imagined in college. But with that said I still love my job. I would never go back and change my mind. The good definitely outweighs the bad. There have been days when I've asked myself why I didn't just decide to work in an office but the thought quickly passes when I get a letter from a student thanking me for helping me with her issues "at home with my mom" or I see the lightbulb go off in a student's head when something I'm teaching just clicks. Don't let other people's negative thoughts and opinions discourage you. Those people will always be around you need to seek out the people who will encourageyou.

22. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 9, 2012

My job is hard. Some days I get to work at 6 and leave at 6. Sometimes feelings of frustration and inadequacy overwhelm me. Some days I have to soak in a hot tub to relieve my aching feet or legs or back. Sometimes I get treated poorly by parents. Or kids. Or administration. Or fellow teachers. Often I wish I made more money so I could pay my bills AND have nice things. Lots of times I wish I had MORE time to plan and MORE money to spend on things I want to do in class and LESS paperwork to do. I get depressed sometimes thinking about all I can't do for my kids because of time constraints or other limitations imposed on me. Most days I'm just plain tired by lunchtime. Occasionally I wish I could just be a stay at home mom or work at a job that doesn't require me to "bring my job home."

My job is easy. Some days I'm only there for 7 1/2 hours. Sometimes feelings of excitement and joy overwhelm me. Some days I leave work with so much positive energy I just have to walk it off! Sometimes I get treated so nicely by parents. Or kids. Or administration. Or fellow teachers. Often I feel so fortunate and think to myself, "They PAY me for THIS?" Lots of times I am happy to spend my extra time to plan and my extra money on things I want to do in class. I'm even ok with all the paperwork I have to do when I consider how important my job is. I get blessed sometimes thinking about all I have an opportunity do for my kids- even with the time constraints or other limitations imposed on me. Most days I feel like I've accomplished a lot by lunchtime. Occasionally I even consider myself lucky because I am able to take my work home with me!

It all depends on the day...like any other job. Overall, I absolutely, positively LOVE my job! Do I make enough money? We are a family of four with major credit card and student loan debt. So no, I don't make enough money for my situation. If we didn't have debt, it would be more than enough money for us. (My husband works, too, btw and makes about the same as I do.) I feel confident that if I were single and made good money decisions it would be MORE than enough. I am not bitter about pay. I didn't get into the field for the money. I literally felt blessed to BE paid after working as a volunteer with children for nearly 20 years prior to becoming a teacher!

23. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 9, 2012

Most teachers that I know (ranging from the master veterans to the passionate newbies) are very very miserable. Some of these are brilliant teachers that I have trained under. They have touched many lives and are everything any teacher could aspire to be. There are just too many reasons to name as to why they are unhappy. I was a new miserable teacher too. In a nutshell, we hate teaching (or what it has become) and would never recommend a person do such because the system is not about doing what is best for the kids. What happens in this district (and I'm sure in most districts) is totally anti-child in our personal and professional opinions.

When I was a student, I wrote in my philosophy of education statement that I believe in nurturing the whole child, intellectually and emotionally. I believe in creating positive classroom environments that foster lifelong learning in children. How is that, along with my other goals, even possible with what goes on in today's school system?

I have a very low tolerance for insanity. If things don't make sense to me, I can't just blindly do them because I'm told to do so from some higher up. I have to believe in nearly every aspect of my job and be able to defend my job duties from an ethical standpoint.

Some teachers are able to look past the crap and still be happy. That's good for them. I'm different. You just have to know yourself very well. Subbing is a great way to start to learn what you are willing to tolerate.

I used to also say there's no other job I'd rather do than teach children, but I don't miss it. I have many passions & could be very happy on many other jobs if the supervisors and work environment fit me, which that is something I think is hard to find these days.

I had a patient today tell me that she dreads the glaucoma test (it's an exhausting long test) but she said I was so patient & positive that I made the test easier for her to handle. That made my day, because the doctor (Ophthalmologist/Eye surgeon) I work for isn't a good spirited person so I'm tired of people like this. It's almost everywhere though.

But, no matter where you work, even if you are sweeping floors or something, if you put your heart into your work & do a great job at it, somebody will appreciate you and it can be just as rewarding as teaching IMO.

24. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2012

I would say I love my job most of the time. I really enjoy the children. I love seeing them grow and be successful in many ways. I find that the money paid is not outrageously low, I live in one of the most expensive areas of the USA and am comfortable. I am rather frugal though. It is an interesting and entertaining job; however I have had years, months, and weeks at times which were very stressful and overwhelming.

25. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 10, 2012

I love teaching, but Rhode Island Schools are not teacher friendly. They make a difficult job impossible.
    If money is not a big factor, I would look into teaching in a Catholic or other private school.

Good Luck!!:)
    Teacherman

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2012

I really do love my job. I love spending my days with kids who are funny and vibrant and allow me to see a different perspective. I also get to be creative in this job, which is wonderful. Everyday is different. Now, there is a lot of stress involved,and it is busy, and sometimes not fun (like when my kids argue, can't get along, etc.). But, in every job you will find things you don't like, as well as stress, so I think you will need to make a decision based on you and how you feel about this career.

27. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 10, 2012

I moved up from elementary earlier this year, but I absolutely loved teaching in elementary school. I know that my colleagues all loved their jobs (maybe not everything about their jobs, but none of them would tell you they hated their jobs!) There's always going to be something negative about any job... but the pluses far outweigh the minuses, imo.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2012

It's definitely not a career for everyone, but why don't you try to volunteer in a classroom around the grade-level you're interested in and see how you like it? I love teaching and am glad to be doing what I do. I am so exhausted at the end of the day, but it's well worth it for me. You really should get out there and see how you like it.

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 10, 2012

I've worked in several fields and can tell you first-hand that EVERY job will have duties or tasks you don't like. Every job will also have it's share of paperwork, snarky coworkers, bad bosses and office politics. These are just part of ANY job you may pursue.

To be a good teacher, you MUST have passion for it! If you don't, you .sswon't be doing yourself or the kids any good. The money is good, but not great. Can you live comfortably on a teachers salary? That will depend entirely on your idea and definition of "comfortable".

Teaching is hard work with a lot of stress at times, but it has intangible rewards no other job can touch. You have a tremendous opportunity to guide and shape hundreds - even thousands - of lives.

I've always wanted jobs that let me help other people. I worked in home-health for awhile. I liked that job because I did get to help a lot of people, but teaching kids is even more rewarding to me.

There is just no way to describe the feeling you get when a student sees you in public, points you out to his/her parents and excitedly tells them "That's my TEACHER!"

I never had a home-health patient tell their family or friends "That's my OXYGEN GUY!"

30. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 10, 2012

I second Cerek's post.

No job is perfect. C'est la vie. There will be ups and downs no matter what you choose to do. It's easy to listen to the negative aspects and get discouraged by others' experiences. You can have your ultimate dream job, yet still find yourself complaining or feeling frustrated at times. Just because you have a love or a passion for something, even teaching, that doesn't mean you will always be one hundred percent satisfied or happy with it. Especially with teaching; a lot of educators aren't tired of teaching, but more of the restraints, lack of support, etc. Unfortunately, the system isn't anywhere near perfect, which makes the job even more disheartening.

31. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 12, 2012

Exactly!

32. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 12, 2012

Very well put...:agreed::agreed::agreed:

33. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 12, 2012

It used to be like that in our school, but that's the last thing administration wants now.

They want us all doing the same thing at the same time and in the same way. And to make sure that's what's happening, the gestapo has regular walk-throughs to monitor our every move.:(

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

There will always be people who make their choices in life, and then try to make your choices for you.

Teaching is not for everyone. As you read some of the threads and posts here, that becomes very obvious.

But for the right people, it's the only career in the world. There are people out there who thrive in the enviornment of an elementary classroom. They inspire and reach their young children, use creativity and imagination and time tested procedures and practices and get kids interested and motivated.

My kids have had some such teachers. To this day, whenever we pass anything having to do with bears or whales, all 3 of my kids demand we buy it and give it to Mrs. T, the teacher they all were lucky enought to have for 3rd grade. Mrs. T inspires her kids to love to learn. She's the perfect combination of fun and pedagogy. One need only talk with her for 5 minutes to see the enthusiasm and love she has for her career and the kids she teaches.

The love for teaching is there, in lots of elementary schools across this country and others.

Unfortunately, they've also had one or two teachers who should have gotten out, teachers who no longer had the heart or the desire to be in the classroom. That was as obvious as the passion that was obvious in some of their fellow teachers.

The choice is yours. You can follow your dream and be the kind of teacher you've always dreamed of being. Or you can let other people's negative experiences color your choice.

It won't be easy. Teachers and teaching are currently under attack, from both the outside and from within. But most of the things we value most aren't the easy ones.

If you want to teach elementary, I say you go for it. Realize that the job market is brutal and that you won't have the freedom you imagined you would-- remember when you thought that adults could do anything they wanted?? It's a job as much as a career, and you'll have to answer to administators, parents, and a host of other parties. You won't always like their solutions to problems-- that's a problem in any job and part of why it's referred to as "work." There will be kids who try your patience and adults you want to throttle.

But it's just possible that, in spite of the challenges, you'll love teaching the way a lot of us here do. And that, thirty years from now, you'll be writing a post very similar to this one.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

Teacher man...you aren't currently teaching, are you? You seem to have an ax to grind with education in general based on your personal experience. There are many teachers who still have a passion for what we do, who are making a difference for kids everyday...even under difficult conditions. Yes, it's getting 'harder'...but it's also harder for administrators who are also facing increasing demands...they are NOT the Gestapo (and truthfully in a historic sense, your analogy is offensive).

We need to be empathetic towards those professionals who need our support and help pull them up. At the same time, we should applaud those who ARE sticking it out, those who are finding joy, those who are finding success. The OP (who doesn't seem to have been back) asked if there are teachers who enjoy their jobs and there definitely are...despite the difficulties they may face.

Teacherman, I'm sorry for your situation. You have expressed in interest in getting back into education...I wish you well.

36. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 12, 2012

You really can't compare teaching across different economic levels, because it's not the same thing at all. In more affluent communities, it's different than in low-income. And teaching in a suburban area is different from those, and vice versa. I would wager that those who hate their work (which I'm not faulting, doubting, or telling them they're wrong for feeling that way) are in those areas where everybody is uner pressure to produce "results" (i.e. low-performing schools, typically in low-income).

While the effects of the economy certainly have been felt in suburban districts and everywhere else, typically those environments allow for more freedom because the overall situation is more manageable. It's why I've always commended those who have it in them to teach in that sort of environment (i.e. low income).

I would wager that "most" suburban and above elementary school teachers will tell you they got a pretty good job. Meanwhile, "most" (maybe not most, but a lot more) elementary teachers in the hood will moan about their jobs more than the aforementioned teachers, because it's practically a different animal altogether.

37. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

I haven't read any of the other replies, so in response to the original post...

Overall, I do really enjoy my job. My first year, I LOVED my job. I woke up every morning in disbelief that I was so fortunate to have such a wonderful job. Since then, I have loved my job a little less each year...
    -I thought the planning and time I put in would be easier as the years went on, but this is proving to be untrue. Each year there are more and more and more demands put on us, resulting in an even heavier workload.
    -My students are needier, and the support they receive is less and less, due to budget cuts, funding, etc. When 1/3 of my class is in special education, but I am not receiving any aide support, I am going to go a little crazy!!! Not to mention the meetings, IEP's, paperwork, and emails. How am I supposed to find time to meet the individual needs of all of these students (intervention and modifications) when I barely have enough time to plan my regular lessons?
    -The demands of standardized tests are very stressful.

The money is...ok. I have to work a 2nd job to get by (I work about 70 hours/week). Between teaching and my retail job, I make about $42,000 (before taxes). It's enough to get by, but I could never afford to buy a house on this kind of salary, especially since we are no longer receiving yearly raises (thank you, Mr. Scott Walker). So I have been making the same salary since my 2nd year of teaching. A teacher I work with is 40 years old and has been teaching for 17 years. She is very smart with her money, and is finally at the point in her life where she can afford to buy a home.

I really do like teaching, but I doubt I will be teaching until retirement. I am already burnt out after 4 years! I truly feel like teaching is my passion. I love planning, finding new resources, attending conferences and classes, collaborating and learning with my colleagues. However, most of my time is spent in meetings and feeling like I am not doing my job well enough.

BUT, what is right for you is probably different than what is right for me. And education is different from state to state. If you really think you can handle the workload and the low salary doesn't both you, then go for it. You sound pretty confident in your decision so far. :)

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 12, 2012

There are days when I don't want to teach 200+ kids a day. There are days when I feel ill. There are days when I'm tired and irritable. There are days when I feel worn out and underappreciated.

HOWEVER, there are so many days when I feel proud of my kids' accomplishments. There are so many days when I feel like I've taught my students something they'll never forget. And...there are so many days when I leave my classroom with a smile on my face.

My bottom line is that I really can't imagine myself in any other profession. Every career has pros and cons. In my case, though, the pros definitely outweigh the cons!!! :2cents:

39. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 15, 2012

I teach primary and I can't imagine doing anything else! I love kids and love teaching.

However, this year my teaching environment has changed more than I can adjust, and I will be leaving the field. Hopefully in the future I will have the option of returning to teaching.

The kids are tremendous, watching them learn is awesome - dealing with difficult adults, parents, co-workers, admin - is a complete drain. But I love teaching!

40. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Feb 15, 2012

I don't think most teachers hate their jobs. I certainly do not hate mine. I am very thankful I have it a position. I believe that teaching is a stressful at times, actually quite often. I also believe that only teachers really understand what teachers go through. I also believe that the grass may not always be greener in other careers. There are similar issues with management and the like in any career. Salaries for teachers can very quite a bit from state to state. I have been able to live comfortably on a single income.

41. Securis

Securis Cohort

Feb 15, 2012

Replying to the OP, I loved my job working with children and helping them to discover their own creativity. The pay has never been a motivating factor. It's incredibly nice to be able to support yourself and have creature comforts so it is a factor but I rank it low as a motivator for doing the job. What I failed to endure were the petty tyrants that micromanaged our school's continuing failure and the fact that nothing short of a cataclysmic asteroid could oust them from their ensconced positions of authority. I loved my kids and I miss them but I can only hold my peace with people who I feel are wrong for so long before I let them know I think they are wrong. So my failure to remain a classroom teacher is really a failure to accept the politics of the situation I left. I will probably go back to the classroom again after I have sorted out my life plan and found the place where I will settle down to live. Maybe at that time, I will have developed the better professional perspective that will allow me affect positive change if I should encounter such a poor school climate again.