Do an interview and get the job offer the same day????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bball_coach, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bball_coach

bball_coach New Member

Jun 11, 2010

Hello all!
    I am new to A to Z Teacher Stuff.
    I'm glad to join the community today! :D
    Just to share my story,
    I did my 2nd round interview last night at 4:30pm. It ended around 5:20pm!! (the latest interview I've been in or heard of!!) I interviewed for both 2nd and 3rd grade position.

Anyway, I felt that the interview went well for the most part.
    I was having a great time with the AP and P, with a panel of 6 teachers. I felt I was able to connect with them at so many levels. (For one, my wife has taught at this school this past school year and I got a chance to met a few of her fellow teachers.) During the interview, we got to share moments of laughter. Also, I was able to share a personal story of my former, troubled student who happened to transfer to this particular school!!! And I swear I caught a few teachers tearing! :)

So now, a full day has passed since the interview and no phone call! :unsure:

My question is: When got your job. did you get your offer right away?
    I heard from many teachers, the interviewing panel KNOWS who they want and would give a job offer the SAME day!
    Even minutes after you walk away from the interview.

I'm just hoping the P ad AP were calling my references and it being Friday and all, I would like to wait til Monday.. I really want this job and believe I would be a great fit!

Please share your experiences!

3. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Jun 11, 2010

I got mine before i even left, but after taking to our P i learned that out of the 10 or so teachers that were added/replaced this year she offered jobs to 2 of us in this manner, the others went through a longer period of deciding.

4. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jun 11, 2010

My offer came 1 week after my interview but it was because they had to check my references

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 11, 2010

Last year, interviewed that morning for one position....another position came available that afternoon and the P called and offered it to me. : ) I'm hoping that my interview goes so well tomorrow that the P offers me a position before I leave (see how positive I'm being? LOL).

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2010

Never at the same moment, but I have gotten an offer several hours after interviewing.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2010

I was offered my job during the interview. But I have a feeling that my story is a little different. I interviewed in a Denny's. My principal was actually going to be close to where I lived so he asked if we would meet while he was on his trip. We met on a Thursday. I had to wait until Monday after the board meeting to be official. He called me early Tuesday morning, and Wednesday I was out sighning my contract and finding a place to live. 7 Days later on July 1 we moved into our new house and I just spent the best year of my life teaching first grade.

8. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jun 11, 2010

Don't P's check references anymore?
    How do u get hired AT an interview?

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

My first job I interviewed once with a large group and recieved a call about three hours after I interviewed with the job offer.

My second and current position, I interviewed first with the principal, next interview with large group and offered the job about two weeks after the interview.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2010

I had 4 letters of rec in my portfoflio that I took. He did call a couple of my references after the board had approved me. It was all kind of surreal to begin with. it all happened so fast.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

When I have served on our hiring committee before, there were a number of times we called references BEFORE we interviewed. Our last SS opening we had over 300 resumes. After we read through the resumes the first round and select ones to go onto the second reading, we have often called references espically if any of us knows any of the references.

So sometimes references have already been called prior to the interview and jobs can be offered during the interview.

12. bball_coach

bball_coach New Member

Jun 11, 2010

You waited 2 weeks to hear back from your current job?
    That's a long time... But it gives me some hope!

Did the P explain why it took so long for them to get back to you?
    Also, did they give you a hint that they might be giving you an offer?
    Thanks, INteacher and everyone who answered to my post!

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 11, 2010

After being involved in the hiring process several times over the past 17 years, there are lots of reasons for the time frame between your interview and getting the offer. The simplest one is that they have to finished interviewing everyone for the position. We like to schedule everyone all at once but sometimes that is impossible. So many times the interviewing process for one position takes a few days.

Another reason could be the schedules of the interviewees (is that a real word) esp. if there are several people sitting in on the interview and if the interview is taking place during the summer. Trying to get everyone there during the summer can prove to be very difficult so again the interviewing process may take days. We have school board members sit in on final interviews when we are down to three candidates and scheduling those interviews are really tough. I think these are probably the likest reasons for delays. One other one to think about is if there is not a clear consenses on which candidate to hire. I have been involved in a few of these cases and they are not fun. It takes longer to reach a decision which would again delay the process.

Hope this helps

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 11, 2010

Oh I do have something to add....the P who offered me the job did not call my references. However, the same day I was offered that full time position, I was offered an interim position (like 2 months or so). I had that interview with the teacher I would be replacing a day or two before. My references were checked on that one...I know because all of my references called to let me know they had been called.

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 11, 2010

I had a round 1 interview May 21st, round 2 June 8th, and got the call today that they were checking references. So it can take a while. :D

16. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2010

I had to wait 5 LONG weeks from first round to 2nd round! 2nd round was 2 1/2 weeks ago and Im still waiting....painful!

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 12, 2010

I was hired minutes after I left my last interview. My P offered me the job and said, that she would love for me to work for her. She just needed to check my references and HR would give me a call. And that was that. :cool: So, yes, references are still checked and still very important. :D

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2010

I think it depends on the circumstances.

The last few job interviews I went on, the jobs hadn't been posted yet. I went on the interviw and was offered the jobs on the spot.

But if a job has been posted, the odds are OVERWHELMING that they have other interviews set up. There's very little chance that they'll cancel the other inteviews on the basis of yours. Instead, they'll conduct the scheduled interviews, then decide who is the best fit for the position.

As to how long that takes, it depends on just how many interviews they've scheduled, and where you fall in that timeline. There's really no way to tell.

19. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2010

It was a month before I heard back from the P who hired me, but I interviewed in April so it was a busy time for her.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2010

Your situation sounds promising. For me, its been the next day to a few days to 2 weeks before I've heard back.

21. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jun 12, 2010

Moved to a new town at the end of June, took my daughter to register for school in July (school starts in Aug.). Asked if they had any openings for paras or subs, they said no, but they needed a teacher for preK, would I be interested? Wasn't certified for it, but after talking to the super that day I accepted! Was hired on the provision I passed the Praxis for early childhood in Oct.-which they paid for. I did and 5 years later I'm still here and loving it! Of course the job outlook was very different 5 years ago, but it CAN happen.

22. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 12, 2010

For my first job (which I will be finished with in 3 days), my supervisor dropped a lot of hints that I would get it, but I had to wait about 2-3 weeks for the final answer (1 week was spring break). Honestly, at that time, I didn't care if I had gotten it or not-- by the time I got the call I completely had forgotten that I was waiting to get an answer still.

For my second placement (which I'll be starting in September), I did one interview (that lasted over an hour) and got very good vibes about it. I did a follow-up interview and demo lesson (I basically spent the WHOLE day at the school meeting EVERYBODY), and at the end of the interview, the principal offered me the position. But I was cautious since the headmaster of the school still needed to call the headmaster of my current school and check things out. So I would say it was about 2-3 weeks after the principal offered the job to me that I signed a contract.

I feel that my second experience is not the "norm". Based on what I've heard from this board, it can take days or even months before you hear anything back. My best advice is to keep in touch about once a week--- whether its an e-mail or phone call. In my e-mails, I don't just ask if there's any news, but I also include some information about me that I might not have yet shared to keep the person interested. I did one follow-up e-mail with my second position (in-between the first interview and the second interview/demo lesson day) where I sent the principal a link to the wiki that I had been creating with my students on the current unit. And since I have a tracking site on the wiki, I knew she had visited the wiki.

Hope this helps you!

23. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jun 12, 2010

When I interviewed for my current position, I was told that I interviewed well and to look for an email that day. Four hours later I received an email that said I was hired. There are so many variables that play into this, though. Good luck to you!

24. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 12, 2010

Someone was reading my mind on this one! :p I am interviewing on Monday. they have offered me a tour prior to the interview and the AP has already emailed me to ask several in depth questions re: my past teaching experiences etc...I SO want this job and am dying wondering what their time line is on hiring. Guess I'll know soon enough.

Let me ask this....if you have been offered a job on the spot, did you take time to think a few moments or did you just say yes? If I get an offer, I will accept for sure...but my husband would like for me to at least take a moment to text or call him before I do just becuase that is the way we are with big decisions like jobs, etc....is that considered rude to ask for a moment to call a spouse? Maybe I'd just accept and then call. :lol: Just kidding!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2010

Actually, both times when it happened, I said I had promised to let my old school know if I had been offered any other jobs.

I got them both the same day. Then I called my old school, and was hired on the spot (even though they didn't have any particular openings at the moment.)

It was quite a day for my ego :)

26. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 12, 2010

I just didn't want it so seem rude if I ever get an offer for me to ask for a moment to contact my spouse. I've already told him it will be a call to say "They offered...I'm accepting!" :lol: Of course, I am getting WAY ahead of myself since I haven't even had the interview yet.

27. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 12, 2010

With my first job, I made them wait, though I knew right away I'd take it (I was a new teacher, right out of college, of course I'd take it!).

With my second job, I wanted the position soooo very badly. So I said yes right away and hinted the whole time that I'd take it (I didn't even care about the salary I wanted to work there so much!).

Then again, I'm young, not married, and have no children--- so I don't have too many variables to think about. Its close enough to my apartment that I wouldn't have to worry about moving. I know not everybody can just jump at an opportunity like that, but if I was married and I knew the job situation would be a concern to my husband, of course I would wait and discuss it with hubby.

28. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

One interview I had, I could tell that the principal was going to offer me the job at the end of the interview because he was talking about whether I had any other offers, etc. and if someone gave me an offer, I was to let him know immediately. He didn't offer right then but I got the offer about 3 hours after the interview. For another interview, I was offered a choice of two positions right in the interview. At the time, I had another interview for a school closer to my home the next morning and I wanted to do that interview. So I told the principal that I was planning to do this morning interview. He begged me not to go on that interview because he knew that they would offer me the position. Turns out that principal was right because I was offered the position at the second interview. (Second interview let me know about 4 hours after I was finished with the interview.) I felt badly when I had to call that first principal and tell him that I had taken the second offer. Believe me this all was a great ego booster because before this I had been told no for several interviews.

29. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 12, 2010

I have only worked in 2 different towns. My very first teaching job: I was offered the job during the interview and accepted it. Different district years later and I interviewed and received a phone call 1 hour later that they wanted me for the job. Both times were boosts to my ego and self esteem!
    Good luck and I hope you hear something postive every soon.

30. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jun 13, 2010

During my interview yesterday that I believe went so well and I will be totally shocked if I'm not at least called back for a second interview said she couldn't offer me or anyone else the job before the posting came down on 6/17. I think she's playing it by the book though....But maybe that is why it takes time for some of us to hear back one way or another on a job? They have to wait to offer until the posting comes down? BTW, in county I'm in the postings are usually only up for a few days or a week.

31. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

At both places that I have worked, it took them about a week to get back to me. They didn't schedule interviews until after the postings came down and had to wait until all interviews were done before making decisions. Sending those follow-up thank yous can be really helpful.

32. guestteacher

guestteacher Rookie

Jun 5, 2015

I was hired during the first interview for my current job and I told them I needed a few days to think about it. I didn't tell them that I was waiting to hear back from another interview. I ended up taking the position and have been unhappy since. They had hired someone else before me who backed out and they were desperate considering it was a week before school began.

33. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2015

My district does alot of on-the-spot hiring (especially at Job Fairs). It is quite common because of all the deadlines for Admin to hire their own candidates instead of the district sending a candidate from the district surplus pool.

Every school I have taught at (mind you, they all are in the same district) has hired me/gave me an offer on the spot.

34. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 10, 2015

Sometimes references are checked in advance.

35. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Jun 11, 2015

Just out of curiosity, why not just discuss it ahead of time and let him know then that you will accept it if offered?

Seems easier and possibly less awkward! :) Good luck!!

36. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2015

Did anyone notice that this thread was started in 2010? LOL

37. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 12, 2015

Haha- I did! I was about to reply when it popped up a few days ago, and then saw the start date.

In case anyone still cares, I've done the interview and gotten the offer on the same day for 2 out of the 3 teaching jobs I've had;). At my school if we really like someone we will start calling references immediately after they leave the interview (we schedule chunks of time in between interview candidates)

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2015

Not to mention, the OP hasn't been back since then!

39. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

My offer happened an hour after I left the school I got interviewed at (and I was on my way to drop a resume at the school I student taught at!) It's all luck.

40. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 26, 2015

I've gotten offers on the spot. One school even called me while I was driving home from the interview to give me an offer! (They didn't check my references.. I think they were desperate)
    I'm hoping this also happens with the job I really want when I have the panel interview in a couple weeks.

41. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 28, 2015

Exactly what happened to me! Except for I was on the subway (didn't have a car yet), so I had to call them back after realizing I have a voicemail!