Do a lot of districts hire their student teachers?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by socaligirl, Apr 29, 2009.

1. socaligirl

socaligirl Rookie

Apr 29, 2009

I know only a couple teachers that have gone through the program I will enter, but both of them were hired by the schools they were teaching in before the year was over.

Is this common practice? I guess it would make sense. A school needs to fill a vacancy for a math teacher for next year, they have a good student math teacher, they offer them a job.

Could this be a reason why there are a lot of job seekers? They didn't get offered a full time position where they were student teaching...or it has been a while since they finished their credential, so there are now new student teachers available before they need to review any resumes?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2009

I think that some schools hire their student teachers, in fact I would guess most of them do. However, if the schools don't have any vacancies, then they can't hire the student teachers. That is what happened in my school where I student taught. There was no vacancies, and I graduated in the middle of the year so that was one strike against me. It also depends on how well those student teachers did while they were there.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2009

I was hired in the district where I student taught, however it wasn't for a year. I did my st in fall of 2002, graduated May 2003, and started working there for the 04-05 year. This year is my 5th there! I kept in touch with admin while I taught elsewhere my first year.

5. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

There were a good 8 of us student teaching at the same school when I did it, plus some others who were there earlier in the schoolyear. I really don't know who got hired where, though I wasn't particularly interested in that district. It was a very far drive for me and the principal was temporary, so I don't even have a connection with the current principal, other than my CT praising me. I guess I said all that to say that student teaching is a great opportunity but there's still competition and as the previous poster said, there's no guarantee that they'll have the right openings.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 29, 2009

Some do...some don't.

It's nice-but I wouldn't COUNT on it.

I am now on my ST District's preferred hire list-but they will say it's not a guarantee. I'm looking elsewhere as well. It would be nice to get a job in that district - they are well known-though not as prestigious as they once were. But there are others I would like even more.

NETWORK! Perhaps do summer school in a great school district and get to know THOSE principals and teachers as well. The school I summer school teach at (also sub at) waschosen (by me) because it was rated as the BEST elementary district in the county. I figured if they are that good-perhaps a little will rub off on me. NOW, they are looking for a LTS for next year... and I am going to at least jump at the opportunity (it vs. the full-time in the ST district) becuase i have connections there.

ALWAYS NETWORK!!!!
    It IS who you know!!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2009

It really depends. A lot of places have a lot more student teachers in a year then they have openings (if they have openings). Also, a lot of schools only want to hire people that have some teaching experience, so they won't hire their student teachers because they don't have any experience. But student teaching is a great time to make connections that can lead to employment.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Apr 30, 2009

As others have said, some do and some don't. With the glut of people looking right now, I'm thinking that more will be looking for experience. Student teaching can be a great experience and it can also be a miserable experience. So much depends on how well you get along with your CT.

If your in a large college town and interning there, then I would think your chances are lower than if you were the only intern in the school.

9. mspanda

mspanda Rookie

May 1, 2009

I don't really like the school that I'm student teaching now. I'm the only student teacher there. Although they're gonna have a couple opening for new year, I'm not interested in applying to the school.

It may sound silly that I don't take this great opportunity. I really don't wanna land on some places that I don't feel comfortable with, esp. for my first few years of teaching.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 1, 2009

mspanda-I understand your feelings, just remember that especially in this economy jobs are going to be harder to come by, so if you want to teach right after graduation, you might have to work in a school that is not your 1st or 2nd choice school for a few years to get experience.

11. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 1, 2009

Most don't.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 2, 2009

In our area many of the student teachers are hired. Some accept depending on the drive.

13. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

May 2, 2009

A lot of people in my district get hired..but not at the school they student taught in :) Either way this is definitely the district you want to work in here! Good Luck with your job hunt...I am right there with you!!

14. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

May 2, 2009

It was once common place for schools to hire their student teachers, but alas, those days are gone for now.

15. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

May 4, 2009

I know in the district I just completed my student teaching in that mentor teachers are asked to recommend their interns. I, however, have NO desire to teach in the district.