Do 4th & 5th graders like stickers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs_B, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Dec 13, 2006

Do 4th & 5th graders like stickers? If so, are there certain types they like better?

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 13, 2006

My middle school students LOVED stickers. I still use them once in a while at the college level.

We are never too old for a silly reward.

I buy all kinds: Disney, movies, generic, Nascar. . . . I'd give anything to get my hands on some Lion King; my ADULT STUDENTS were asking about them!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 13, 2006

Absolutely!

My 3rd graders really loved my Thanksgiving stickers that I bought and are really excited about the snowman snowglobe ones I started using last week. They actually take all of their stickers off of their tests and quizzes when they get them back on Fridays and save them on their "take home" folders. It's cute. :)

I don't have any at the moment, but scratch and sniff stickers are always a favorite!

5. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Dec 13, 2006

Mrs. B, I used to sub and I always subbed at the primary grade level and I always brought stickers for rewards. Well one day there was a mix up and I ended up in a 5th grade classroom. Just going in my normal routine of things, I started rewarding some of the students who were listening with stickers. But the kids who didn't care, made the comment, "hey I could go and buy those at the store". Meaning, it didn't mean anything to them and it wasn't that big of an incentive. It kind of stunned me but it made sense and I felt almost silly for giving these "big kids" stickers!!!!! However, if you have some sort of system where they could choose a reward and one of teh options are a pack of stickers, I'm sure some of them would like them. I know I liked stickers at that age!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

Even my grade 7 and 8 "cool" boys like stickers and getting stamps on te back of their hands. They also like to rewarded by being able to use my favourite pen for a period, or pushing the "Easy Button". I think that it isn't what the reward is so much as the fact that they are getting a reward.

Mamacita--I think that I have some Lion King stickers in one of the bins that got taken home when I moved classrooms this year. I'll check.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 13, 2006

My fifth graders love stickers too. I try to stay away from anything that is overly cutesy though. They like racecars and more dynamic designs much better than teddy bears and Suzy's Zoo and Dr. Seuss (though I do sneak those in from time to time.) I put stickers on tests/projects of A or B quality, but not daily work. I also use big stickers as a badge for winning the spelling bee or Around the World.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

Every grade I've ever taught (that's 7-12, including a few years of Calculus) has LOVED them. You need a 90 or better in my class, and kids will remind me if I accidentally leave one off.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 13, 2006

Same rule in my class and I've also heard, "How come I didn't get a sticker?" a few times when I've forgotten. :)

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 13, 2006

My fourth graders love them! When I can find them on sale, I get those thick foam stickers, and they are really popular.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

Sounds like the adult choir I sing in at church... we get a checkmark on the board for each song we get through... when our director forgets to put it up, we all get mad at her. ;)... and the average age is around 55 in our choir. (I bring the average down a few years!)

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Dec 13, 2006

Oh yeah! I use to give stickers for A's on tests. After they accumulated 10, they peeled off the test and kept on their notebook, they could trade them in for a popsicle/fruit bar. This was a fabulous motivator!!! :)

I've heard coworkers say, "I didn't get a smiley face on my lesson plans/observation! How come you did?!" lol :)

13. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Dec 13, 2006

OK, great! I used them in 3rd grade when I subbed this week to reward those staying on task during an hour long creative writing assignment and it seemed to help. I was hoping I could use stickers for a difficult 4th grade class that I have been asked to sub for again in Feb. and March. I will give it a try! Thanks for all the responses!

14. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Dec 13, 2006

If it is a class that you are subbing for (not necessarily kids who will buy into it because of you), just have a variety. Enough of them will probably appreciate it. Mine appreciate anything I give them, if it is presented as a reward.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 14, 2006

I taught 4th for 8 years and am in my 2nd of 5th and both grades have loved stickers. They'll even remind me if I haven't handed out stickers for a while. :)

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 16, 2006

Mrs.C, I would be so grateful!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2006

They weren't in the box I thought they would be in. There's one more, buried under the rest of the Christmas decorations, that I'll unearth this weekend--I'll know for sure then.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2006

My sixth graders will sometimes act like they don't like them, for example when they don't get one because they have a "B" and the person beside them has a sticker for their "A", but they really do like them. Otherwise they wouldn't bother to scratch and sniff them, peel them off and put them on their binders, and ask their friends if they got one!

19. katenar

katenar Cohort

Dec 17, 2006

I give my 5th graders stickers for getting an "A" on their test. If they get an A+ they get a scratch and sniff sticker. Anything from a 90% - 99% gets just a regular sticker. They put them on their name tags on their desks. The kids love it....

20. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

It really depends on the kids you have in your class. I've have worked with 4th graders who love them and some who could care less.

21. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

And if stickers start to get too expensive or the students are bored, you can always go to stamping...

22. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

I put stickers on my 5th graders papers when they get a 100....They let me know if I didn't do it on one LOL They do enjoy it

23. Luvin5th

Luvin5th Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

My 5th graders love stickers!! Frogs and Monkeys seem to be their favorite, but they have not ever complained about receiving them! They look for them to know that they did a good job!