Do 3rd graders still "come to the carpet?"

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by MzQualified, Aug 22, 2009.

1. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

Hi,

I'm new to third grade this year and was wondering do 3rd graders still like to come to the carpet for certain things like reading a story, special teacher announcements, etc.?

I know I won't need to do the calendar with them as their more "grown up"/independent now.....

:thanks:

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 22, 2009

My 4th graders love to come to my front carpet for a story or class discussion. I'm sure your 3rd graders will too.

4. JMG11

JMG11 Rookie

Aug 22, 2009

I've been in classes where even 5th graders come to the carpet. I am teaching grade 2/3 this year and they will be coming to the carpet. Again,there are some grade 3 classes I've been in that do not have a group area. I think it's probably personal preference/what works best for the kids.
    For calendar, you could still do it... just have a very simplified version of it (just putting up the next number in the columns, and writing the date on the board) but this could be given as a job to a single student without class involvement.

Hope this helps!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2009

I am also new to 3rd, and decided to use moving to the carpet as another way to work some movement into my day (I have almost all boys). So far they seem to be enjoying it.

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

My third graders still come to the carpet. I do the majority of my whole group instruction there. I like them up close to minimize distractions.

7. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 22, 2009

I was in a third grade classroom last fall and they still did calendar and stuff like that. The teacher had the student run it (basing it off the fact that they are more independent) with the assistance of cards on a ring of things she wanted covered. They were also able to review their money skills because for each day they were in class they added a penny to the board. When they got to 5 pennies they changed it to a nickel, etc. They loved doing it!

8. murf

murf New Member

Nov 1, 2009

Absolutely, especially when working with math manipulatives. you can do a quick glance to see if they are catching on to the concept

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2009

I know beth newingham, who is a fabulous third grade teacher, has her third graders comes to the carpet.

When I was in grade school, I remember going to the carpet K-2, and fourth. It all depends on the teacher.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2009

In my K-4 school, all grades meet on the carpet for various activities.

11. carlea

carlea Comrade

Nov 1, 2009

I teach 6th grade LA and students come to the carpet. This is where I do my read aloud and mini-lessons. I don't think they're too old, and I can make sure they're taking notes and discussing what they're supposed to! My district's Asst. Sup. of Educational Services came by my class and thought it was great that 6th graders still come to the carpet.

12. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Nov 25, 2009

I agree with nattles19

The closer they are, the closer they pay attention, and I can see when those little frowns of not understanding briefly appear and disappear. I can quickly reteach right there on the rug.

13. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 27, 2009

My third graders love doing anything other than sitting at their desks, especially for a read-aloud or if you have them bring a clipboard so they can complete their work on the carpet. Of course, placement of where everyone sits is key...you know the ones who need not to be within reach of each other!