D'Nealian

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bridiecakes, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I have taught first grade and am now moving to Kinder. School has not started yet for us. However, I did get an email from a parent already questioning the "D'Nealian" handwriting. She wants to know if her son will also be learning the traditional handwriting method as well. We will only be using D'Nealian though. For those of you who have used it, how do you explain it to parents who don't understand it? Also, how harsh are you on making sure the kids use it when writing? Thanks!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 28, 2008

I am not that familiar with this handwriting program. But what I feel is most important is that the children learn to hold the pencil correctly! Many of my students have trouble learning the strokes and letters in cursive because of incorrect pencil position. So, even before beginning handwriting of any type I would strongly recommend teaching the proper way to hold a pencil, as well as a crayon.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

I am a parent and not an elementary teacher but I think the best answer I recieve from my DD teacher's about using the handwriting style was the ease of the transition into cursive writing - for instance the tails on the letters t, l, i and h already almost look like curvise letters. HTH

5. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 28, 2008

Inteacher is right. I explained how much easier to transition to cursive. Also, we work on correct pencil grip and posture at the desk/chair.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2008

I learned to print with D'Nealian and I turned out just find :lol:

Maybe give the parent a copy of D'Nealian manuscript and D'Nealian cursive and point out the similarities.

As for pickiness with handwriting, I have (even while STing 1st grade) been picky about handwriting formation. As long as it is the correct letter and I can read it, formation is not a huge issue to me. Everyone develops their own style- so I see no sense in forcing something upon them.
    As a 5th grade teacher, I do not push cursive at all. I actually push printing because I can read it better! I actually didn't even put up an alphabet this year!

7. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

I think a lot of the concern with D'Nealian is the higher risk for reversals. Because of the tails on the letters, it is possible for more confusion to take place. It does make for a better transition to cursive, but overall, my main concern is always the way a child holds a pencil and forms the letters. I do not worry as much about what their end product looks like as I do about those issues.