DIY poll - tile vs. hardwood vs. Pergo? Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Erin Elizabeth, Oct 13, 2009.

?

What type of flooring do you recommend?

1. Ceramic tile

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Hardwood

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  3. Synthetic hardwood

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 13, 2009

When we bought our house 2 years ago the market was still up and we paid too much....anyway, we didn't have a lot to spend on upgrades so we went with linoleum for the downstairs kitchen/dining area. The front hall is carpeted, with a 5x5 section of ceramic tile at the front door.

What I would like to do is tear out the hall carpet, and re-do the flooring in the hall/powder room (off the hall)/kitchen/dining area in either tile to match the existing entryway, or wood floors.

I like the idea of wood floors better because I like the warmth of them and the look, and if I did go with wood, what would be a good complement that wouldn't be too much with the cherry wood kitchen cabinets?

Agh! And on top of that....we want to install the flooring ourselves! So which is easier to install....then maintain????

Have any one of you attempted this before?

3. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 13, 2009

Well from my experience... We are putting tile in a 100 sq foot space at the moment and materials alone (cement board, tile, cement, grout, and grout colorant) has come to around 300.00 and that was with a .98 cent tile.

The tile route can be time consuming also, we have free labor thank goodness because I don't have the patience for tile cutting.

Personally I wold compare the cost of the Pergo versus real hardwood and decide from there. Many times the Pergo looks amazing! Good luck with your decision.

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2009

We have cherry wood cabinets and dark hardwood floors and we think it looks great. I do like ceramic tile also so if I bought a new house I might try ceramic. We have pergo in our basement and though it is nice there is no comparison to real hardwood flooring.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2009

The thing about putting Pergo type flooring in an entryway is that it reacts badly to water - swelling, buckling and warping. So, in a place like a bath, kitchen or near a door, it's not going to be long before it's ruined. On the plus side, it's cheaper than your other two options and it's super easy to install. My dh did ours in our playroom by himself in a day.

But, laminate is not real wood, and to me, you can tell the difference immediately. We're looking at houses now and if there is a lot of laminate, we don't even consider it. It looks cheaper to me compared to real wood. I'd rather see carpet, honestly. (don't be offended if you do have laminates...like I said, we have them, too! I just prefer hardwoods.

Tile is lovely, but much harder to install and also hard and cold. Drop a glass on tile and you're done with that glass! You'll never want to walk barefoot, or without slippers, in those areas of the house again.

You can even get hardwoods that are already sanded, stained and varnished to make that job even easier. If you can't afford to do it all now, I'd say do one room at a time and just choose a really common color so that, when you go to do room #2 in a year, you can still find it.
    Kim

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 13, 2009

Well I didn't vote cause my answer depend on the room. For kitchen I like tile and for dining room/foyer I like hardwood. We're remodeling our home and our hardwood floors are done and I love, love, love them. We'll have ceramic tile in the kitchen which I sure am hoping I'll love as much!

Haven't a clue about installation, we hired a contractor. We're just not that handy!

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 13, 2009

I have hardwood floors and love them. Some of my friends have installed a wood laminate. The laminates sound different than wood floors when you walk on them. It kind of a hallow sound. I had a friend take theirs out for this reason. :dizzy: Another friend likes the laminates better than wood because they are so durable for children and animals.

I had tile in my other home. It was hard to keep clean. One little drop of water looked like a dirt stain. My wood floors hide a lot of dirt. :blush: Tile can be cold in the winter.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

I have Pergo floors, but mine are single-slat (instead of groups of 3). It makes a HUGE different in the look. You can not tell by sight that they are not real wood. I have it at my front door.
    Here are the best pictures I have uploaded:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is Malaysian Kempas.

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 13, 2009

Oooh, that looks pretty. I'll try and find a picture of the area I'm wanting to re-do. We have a great room style kitchen/dining/living room, so I don't think it would look right to have them in two different flooring materials.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 13, 2009

Ok, here is the entry way, then the kitchen. The existing linoleum in the kitchen is close to the ceramic tile that I'd try to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Jealous of the giant kitchen! It is gorgeous!

My kitchen is so tiny. And, I have since painted the cupboards white. I hated the color of them, so I went with a dark floor and painted the cupboards white.

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 13, 2009

My dad put down bamboo flooring in his house, and it looks beautiful, and it's much cheaper than traditional hardwood. Plus, bamboo grows much quicker...it's better for the environment!

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2009

Bamboo is a great alternative to hardwood
    With hardwood it is warm and you can make it warmer with a throw rug
    You can rent tools to help you install the hardwood flooring
    I would never use ceramic tile outside of "wet" areas

14. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 14, 2009

My husband and I have carpet in the three bedrooms (otherwise it's tile or hardwood) However, now that we are turning the office into the new baby's room, we are putting Pergo down. We looked at all of our choices and we couldn't beat the price of Pergo. (It was on sale at Lowe's plus a military discount!) I figured that if I was going to go laminate I would go "high class" laminate! We do still plan on throwing a large area rug in there though!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2009

We have a combo of all. We have Pergo in our kitchen & entry way. We have linoleum that looks like tile in our mudroom & main floor bath (It looks so good, we would have put it throughout the kitchen... but weren't really sure until we got it). We have tile in our bathroom. Carpet in the "living areas"!!!

I will tell you the tile is cold. My dad used to have it in his house & he hated it because it "ate" his socks. It wore holes in them. My MIL lives in the south & has it in most of her house & likes it for the easy clean up, but not real easy on your back & feet.

Not sure what I'd do, but I know if we had to do over...not sure we'd have tile in our bathroom... We jump around to the area rugs to keep our feet warm... LOL!!!

16. Simba

Simba Comrade

Oct 14, 2009

I know you want to replace it, but I personally think the kitchen looks great!!

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2009

I voted for hardwood floor just because I always liked the look. My new house has saultillo tiles and I hate them. THey were put in horribly and they are such a pain to take care of.

[​IMG]
    This picture was taken when we first bought the house. We've done some major work since but wanted to show you what I have right now. I am not crazy about tiles in general.

18. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 14, 2009

Thanks! It's not the kitchen that's bothering me...It's the entry way carpet. It connects to both the garage and the front door, so the carpet is always filthy. I want to take out the carpet there, so the flooring will continue into the kitchen. Lino and tile next to each other would look awful!

Thanks for all the opinions. I think we are going to go with tile, because I just found out that my husband hates hardwood! I guess I should have asked him first, huh? ;)

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 14, 2009

Thank you! I LOVE my kitchen! Great for parties!

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 14, 2009

Ok I was going to say hardwood, even voted hardwood. But since the tile connects the entry way connects the garage and front door, I say tile. they say not to put hardwood in a place that it will get wet. We have hardwood in our rental house. The wood is all stained dark and swollen around the bedroom door (that goes outside). A door we hardly use.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 14, 2009

We have hardwood everywhere except the utility room, den, and bathroom.

There is actually hardwood in the bathroom, too, but there was some water damage to the sub floor that required us to remove part of the flooring. Instead of replacing the hardwood, we used vinyl. It was really better for the bathroom anyway.

Ours is sealed with a matte polyurethane, so spills and water tracks mop up easily without soaking into and damaging the wood.

The original hardwood is almost 40 years old, and it still looks good. In fact, it looks a lot better than the laminate my in-laws put in less than 10 years ago. Our living room, hallway, and dining room had carpet covering unfinished hardwood. We removed the carpet and had the floors finished. That was 8 years ago, and the floors still look like new!

My mom has tile in her kitchen, dining room, and den. It's pretty, but it can be slick when wet. Also, it you drop something even remotely breakable, it's broken! And if you drop something heavy enough, the tile will break.

I actually really like the concrete floors on our porch! It's easy to clean, and it can be painted, stained, and textured.

22. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Oct 15, 2009

I hate hate hate hate my tile floors. Did I mention how much I hate them? :mad:

My whole condo has tile floors, except for the bedrooms. They are hard to clean, cold, chip way too easily, etc. I can't wait to change my floors.

23. Munka

Munka Guest

Apr 3, 2011

Hi, I am trying to contact user giraffe326. Can someone send them a private message for me?

I see they mentioned having Pergo Malaysian Kempas flooring.

I am in desperate need of some of this flooring. Lowes has discontinued it and Pergo has been no help. Could someone ask them if they wouldn't happen to have any material left over from this installation that they would be willing to sell would you? I would even be willing to accept some that had been taken up. I am in desperate need for some of this flooring to finish an installation I started a couple of years ago that I had to stop due to personal reasons.

Please write me back either way. I can be reached via PM on the forum or reply to this post

Thank You in advance