Division Unit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amakaye, Jul 13, 2012.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

I'm working on mapping my math curriculum, and I realized that my division unit needs some revamping. We cover the basic idea of division, introduce remainders and the idea that what you do with them depends on the situation. We also work on the idea of division as the inverse of multiplication. We do not get into long division, and most of the activities I find when I search are for that. So, what great ideas are floating out there? I'm looking specifically for hands-on practice and game ideas.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

Oh, and anything for dividing with 1 and 0...

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

Anyone????

5. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012

What math curriculum do you use?

Which visual or kinesthetic models do you use? (e.g. base-10 blocks, arrays with 'leftovers', open arrays)

There are also games like Marilyn Burn's "Leftovers with 100" (http://www.mathsolutions.com/documents/0-941355-42-X_L3.pdf) There are a few other lessons available for free on the Math Solutions website, and, as always, you can look into her Teaching Arithmetic book: Extending Division for gr 4-5.

There is also Cathy Fosnot/Contexts in Mathematics supplementary units on division, but I haven't read them myself. The books of mini-lessons are good warm-ups, though. http://www.contextsforlearning.com/grades3_5/default.asp

Do you already use the book "Remainder of One"? I tend to use that with 4th grade, but if your 4th grade team doesn't use it, 5th could work!