"dividers"

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Nicole S., Jun 23, 2013.

1. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jun 23, 2013

I am in need of some help...due to 2 unsafe shelves I had to toss them. nails were sticking out and edges were no longer safe. I didn't use these so much as storage, as I did for ways to "divide" my classroom into centers. and due to budget cuts, these shelves are not being replaced.

Here's where I need help: What are some pieces of furniture or other items could I use for dividers, so that my center areas have good defined space? My budget is very low, so looking to beg, barrow or steal (not really, but need it to be safe and cheap)! :)

Let me know!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

My DH was in charge of a school district warehouse. He was always selling/donating used furniture to the public. I would suggest you contact the school district to see what they might have for sale.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 24, 2013

I used dorm rugs as center definition if your program owns the room you could in theory even paint on the floor....I saw one program paint on the carpet. I wouldn't but it looked good when they did it.

I have seen pvc stands with fabric over the square like a screen....but I always wondered if those got tipped over. The programs weren't using the screen for anything but i thought that if you used it as a giant flannel board or pockets or something then you could have a purpose besides playing peek in the edges and getting rowdy.

Just two thoughts.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

Rethink the current furniture arrangement. Two years ago, I took the play kitchen that had always been against the wall and turned it so it became a divider and I put the library corner on the other side. Don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 24, 2013

YES! And if you take the kitchen to make a long wall of the rectangle you can take your book rack and make the short wall at the top of the rectangle. My book rack was two sided.....so guess where the books like EVERYONE EATS RICE went? Yep, facing the Kitchen! It was great! Made a little door way for the kids to enter...it was like a real house! I loved it. We used wrapping paper tubes and scarves and made a "ceiling" once.

7. melnm

melnm Companion

Jun 26, 2013

I saw several ideas for DIY classroom furniture on PreKinder's blog this morning and thought of this post. As she says, even if you aren't much of a builder, you can ask for volunteers to help out. Some really neat, inexpensive ideas!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

What about using duct tape to tape off the sections?

9. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Jun 26, 2013

You can pick up a very inexpensive clothes rack ($10-15) at Target/Walmart/IKEA and then hang "pockets" of some sort for additional storage OR drape some gauzy, see-through material over it.

Do you have Freecycle group in your area?

What about checking at a Salvation Army or other thrift store?

10. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Jun 26, 2013

Another thought... could you repurpose a very large box as a "doorway" by decorating it?

What about a plastic container wall as a lesson on recycling? Glue together 2-liter soda bottles (families can donate) or gallon milk containers. Then decorate. One classroom in my school made an igloo out of milk containers a few years ago. It was really cool.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 26, 2013

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 26, 2013

Regular pocket charts and stands work well too.

13. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jun 26, 2013

I do have the exact same thing posted above but it's really tall. It works as a divider, but you can't see what children are doing behind it.

Thanks for all the other great ideas.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 26, 2013

Use a clear shower curtain.