Diversity in your school staff?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by each1teach1, Jul 19, 2008.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 19, 2008

That's certainly true - I had a friend whose mother was Asian, father was African-American and grew up in Panama-which made her Hispanic - she never knew which box to check on her school applications!

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2008

FYI, from Wikipedia:

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".

The terms Hispanic and Latino tend to be used interchangeably in the United States due largely to a syntax inconsistency between the English language and the Spanish language.

Some define the term "Latino" as a shortened version of the noun '"Latin American." Others define the word "Latin" as the name of the language used by the ancient Romans, while "Latino" is the name given to the people who spoke the language.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2008

It's interesting. Our staff at school has a very high concentration of caucasian female teachers- I think there's one who is Hispanic and one who is Asian. We only have two male teachers, on top of that, one in 3rd grade and one in 5th. We also have one male teaching assistant for ESOL and a male assistant principal.

But then on the other hand... a few students I am seeking out for the newspaper staff for 4th grade are Hispanic (I think there are three), Indian, and Vietnamese (I believe), creating a pretty diverse group. However, I think only two Black students have ever been on the staff- I think two were requested to me this year, also.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

I have the solution! We are all African-Americans. If you go back 50,000 years or so, according to the best current science, we are all descended from somebody in Africa. No, that might not work, even people who live in Canada, Central America, and South America are technically Americans. Darn!

Reminds me of a Southpark episode: "All marklar are marklar."

Actually, the real solution lies with our young folks. They seem to be able to use these convenient, descriptive labels without the stigma some overly sensitive folks of our generation attach to them, although I sure wish they wouldn't use the one that starts with "n".

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

Actually, it reminds me of the black politician who got offended because someone, when asked where something went and they didn't know responded "It fell into a black hole."

6. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jul 20, 2008

I think we do a decent job of diversity here. Two of our administrators are white, the other two are black. Our student body is about 85% black, 10% white, and 5% other races/ethnicities. Our teaching staff is about 55% white, 40% black, and 5% other ethnicities.

But most of the black teachers are concentrated in social sciences and electives.

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

Haha...you've been reading the Dallas Morning News. Yes, Mr. Price does cause quite the wave. When the magnet school I attended in high school first opened, it was advertised as a world class school. Well, there were 1 dean of instruction with 6 principals. Out of those 7 two were black, a pretty fair amount since the student body was 33% black, 33% hispanic and 33% white (yeah, I said white, AND WHAT?!?!?, lol). Well, Mr. Price felt there should have been more black principals so he and his protesters protested outside of the school every day for three years, tying up traffic horribly because there was a high school on one side of the street and an elementary school on the other side and the road fed into a major high way that was headed down town. People used to get so mad, but Mr. Price was there every day yelling "No Justice! No Peace!" I guess he finally got tired because they never gave him was he wanted.

I like his name though. John Wiley Price. It's like A Tribe Called Quest, you have to say the whole thing :lol:

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2008

Actually, I cut and paste the stats from my district's web site -- I didn't "use" the term white myself.

You are correct that the terms are useful for this thread.

As the product of a multiracial marriage, I am somewhat sensitive to stereotyping when it occurs.

Srry if I touched a nerve with you, which caused you to suggest that I get a life. I did not mean to offend anyone.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

What an interesting thread.

"White" just fits. I don't refer to myself as "Swedish American", think how confusing forms would be to get every ethnicity listed.

People need to get over physical differences and SEE what an individual is all about.

Let me get my crystal ball, hmmmm... in 200 years it'll be
    (No I'm not psychic, just playing here.)
    Circle one:

Human

Alien

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 20, 2008

We are a 100% white staff . . . but then again our school is something like 99.99% white as well. The 0.01% that is non-white consists completely of either mixed-race children, or black children in a foster or adoptive white home. We do not have a hispanic, native American, Asian, or any other background in our school.

We have one hispanic elementary teacher and one asian high school teacher. Everyone else in the district is white.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2008

We only have about 15 teachers at our school. One is Native American, one is South American, the rest are white, all are female. The mix of kids is broader.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

My school is fairly diverse in terms of students and staff are concerned, except that our staff is almost all female. We lost 3 males this past year with retirements and resignations.

13. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

We have a very diverse staff and we serve a diverse set of families. However, I'm going to say that diversity comes from many different things, not just skin color. We have diversity in socio-economic status, educational level, specializations & concentrations, languages spoken, country of origin, sexual orientation, age, etc.