Diversity Club

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Maryhf, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2015

I'm looking to start one at my middle school with a focus on understanding other cultures and traditions, and leading toward kindness and anti bullying. Any ideas? Suggestions from schools who have a similar group? What are some activities you would suggest? All ideas are appreciated.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 23, 2015

We had a club at my high school called SPICE club. Students Promoting International Cultural Exchange. Different students would present about their heritage each month, and we had celebrations for different international holidays. We had a style show in the springs. We'd sometimes work with other student organizations to get guest speakers to come in (people from the local university or from different faiths and ethnic groups.) It was fun!

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2015

Thanks! Those are some good ideas to start.

5. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 24, 2015

Look into some team building activities that can help people understand differing perspectives. I will caution that these are best done by people who have been trained in providing these activities, but there are a few easy ones that can be done without much risk.

6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jul 24, 2015

It might be in the wrong direction - but check out "face to faith" I looked into it a couple of years ago, but just seemed like far too much work for set up and I wasn't ready to work with my HS students on this. (I'm not selling it well!) It looks really cool for somebody...

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2015

Go to the website www.teachingtolerance.org . They have something called mix it up at lunch or something like that. They will send you all sorts of resources and programs for free for various grades. I remember beautiful posters and music cassettes for elementary and a fabulous monthly magazine, too. More of the programs were for older grades.