Diverse learners question!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, Jul 5, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 5, 2009

Someone sent me a private message about an interview question they had about how to teach diverse learners. I always get this question on my screening interviews and am not sure if my answer is strong enough.
    Of course you do partners, use visuals, review, manipulatives...etc...but can anyone recommend a good book or website on how to teach diverse learners at the elementary level. Also ways you can help communicate with their parents who are non English speaking.
    Thanks

BTW...I have my second "real" interview coming up and I want to GET THIS JOB!!!

3. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I have to get to work, so this might be quick...
    So by diverse learners do they mean English Language Learners, or also kids from diverse backgrounds?
    ELLs: Scaffold lessons so that the material is accessible to all children, use realia, pictures, activate prior knowledge, give children different ways to demonstrate knowledge (meeting the same objective in different ways, like making a mural to show they know what animals live in the rainforest)
    Developing Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP) through the use of language objectives.
    A good book is Reading, Writing and Learning in ESL by Suzanne Peregoy and Owen Boyle.
    Diverse learners: Talk about how you would value students cultures, bring in culturally relevant literature, invite parents into the classroom frequently.
    To communicate with parents, obviously look for translators to help with notes. Learn a few words in their language. Send home pictures of what is going on in the classroom.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 6, 2009

Thanks so much. I will def try to look into getting that book. I need all the help I can get.