Districts in Arizona advice/input?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Meglin, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Meglin

Meglin Rookie

Mar 2, 2015

Hello everyone,

I graduate in May from ASU with my bachelor's in elementary education. I'm currently student teaching in an 8th grade science classroom and would like to continue teaching middle school science.

I know one district that I am applying to, but there are so many districts in the Phoenix area that I don't even know where to begin applying. Which schools/districts are good? Which are bad? I love the school I'm currently student teaching at, but if there are no openings I obviously have to venture to a district that I'm not familiar with.

Can anyone provide assistance/opinions who works in Arizona?

3. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Mar 2, 2015

It's hard to label an entire district as good or bad. I've taught in a couple districts/charter schools in the Phoenix area, but I don't feel comfortable specifying which districts on here. Feel free to PM me. :)

Are you looking for a public school or charter? Or does it matter?

Have you decided whether you want to teach in a Title I school? If so, many districts in Phoenix fit that category. From my experience, though, high poverty schools can be VERY stressful, especially in middle school. Typically, you can expect different things from an inner city school and a school in a middle-class suburb. You will see different challenges and rewards in each one. Personally, I don't recommend teaching in the inner city or at a Title I school in Phoenix... they produce a lot of burned out teachers, and teachers who transfer elsewhere for greener pastures.

Your science and middle school certification should open a lot of doors for you, so be sure to do some Googling of school reviews.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 2, 2015

From what I have heard, there is a large demand for 7th and 8th grade Science teachers here in the Phoenix area. You chose a high demand area. I like many of the districts in the east valley such as Chandler, Kyrene, and Gilbert. Not all would agree with me as it is much about personal preference when it comes to choosing school districts.

5. Meglin

Meglin Rookie

Mar 2, 2015

Thank you both for replying!

missrebecca, I sent you a message. :) I believe I want a public school, but I've never experienced charter so I have no reference on that end. My student teaching has been at a Title I school and I have immensely enjoyed working with that particular demographic of students.

readingrules12, thank you for responding! I have heard from many people that my certification is in high demand (especially since I'm already HQ for science), so its reassuring to hear that my search should (hopefully!) result in a job. I have heard great things about east valley districts, but unfortunately, I live in the nothern area of Phoenix and the commute would be a bear each morning. I appreciate your insight!

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 2, 2015

Sent you a PM.

7. Meglin

Meglin Rookie

Mar 6, 2015

Thank you Kat! I replied. :)