Districts hiring with out of state certification

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsTeckel, Sep 25, 2011.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

So thinking about branching out next school year to different states.

I'd rather not move but not opposed to it. Will districts hire you with an out of state certification? Or do those who try for out of state jobs get that states certification?

I'm just looking at my different options. Thanks

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

I don't know of any states that will hire you with only an out-of-state certification. They want you to be licensed in their state, or at least be qualified to be licensed in their state and in the process of becoming licensed in their state.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2011

If you're truly willing to move (you don't sound so sure) I would start applying for other state's certifications asap. Pick at least 1 or 2 states that you'd like to live in and start the application process to get their license. I think that was the one mistake I made while job searching. I always knew I'd have to move as the job market is downright impossible for my certification area in my home state. At the time, I assumed districts in other states would be okay with me not having their certification yet because we were recipricol states, and I could get the license no problem. At the time, it seemed like a waste of money to apply for other state's licenses when I didn't even have any interviews or anything in that state- I thought I'd just apply once I was offered a job or at least got a few interviews. That was totally wrong- with so many applicants that aleady have a license, they're not going to bother with someone who doesn't have it. You need to have the license in hand asap. Also take into consideration that this is a LONG process in some states. In my home state, my license took 3 weeks to arrive, in May when they would have been swamped with all of the recent graduates. For this state, it literally took 7 months. It turned out that my P didn't even realize I didn't have this state's license when she interviewed me, or she would have never even given me an interview...so the fact that I just got this job out of state was a fluke. I knew I'd have to move, but where I live currently was not even on my radar of places I was interested in, and I'm wanting to start looking for a new position this summer or the next because I simply don't like the location. I won't make the same mistake twice- I'm going to research at least 2 states that I want to live in and apply for their licenses this winter/spring (I have to wait for my professional license from this state to come in). Sure, it may be an extra 60 or 80 dollars per state, but that's nothing when you consider how much you've just opened up your job search.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 25, 2011

AGREED! You need to get those and get them quick! Took me about 6 months to get one of mine.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

You have to live in NJ to work in a public school in NJ...and it will take a LONg time to get your credentials transferred...and it's a HIGHLY COMPETITIVE market:eek:

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

Make sense. I live in IL and I'm about 15 min from St. Louis. While all it takes to get my Mo licences is bout 130 dollars (52 background, 50 for application fee and 35 to get a career level). I don't know if I'm willing to "waste" that money.

I was just checking

You're all right, I really don't want to move but it was just a thought.

Thanks for the replies

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

It's not a waste of money to spend a couple hundred bucks if it turns into a contract worth $50k.

9. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Sep 25, 2011

Very very true Caesar! You are very wise

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2011

:lol: That's what they tell me.

11. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Sep 25, 2011

Is it true about living in NJ--I live in NY close to the border of Bergen County and a few of my neighbors are NJ teachers and they live in NY

12. SB2103

SB2103 Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

Virginia

I just moved to Virginia for a teaching job. I took a few of the tests - but my district hired me with an out of state certification - they paid the fees as well for my certificate. Just got my provisional in the mail - as I have one my test to take.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2011

The law just became effective. Teachers who were already hired and working before the effective date were grandfathered.