District job fairs versus large job fairs-which is better?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Zanadu, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Feb 27, 2009

I was planning on going to one of the large job fairs in my area. Now, I'm receiving all these announcements for individual district job fairs. Is one better than another? It seems that the district fairs might actually lead somewhere since representatives from individual schools would actually be at these whereas looking over registration requirements at some of the large job fairs each district can only have two representatives. Did anyone ever actually land a job from a contact made at one of the large fairs versus the district specific ones? I also admit that I do not want to wait in line with possibly 100s of people at a larger fair. Claustrophobia and depression would be sure to set in.

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 27, 2009

Good question I was wondering the same thing.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2009

Personally I would go to ALL job fairs where you're districts are going to be. The more you show your face and make connections the better chance you have of landing an interview/job. Good luck!

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

if you haven't already, check teachers-teachers.com they will send you all the local ones/kinda local ones. There is one near charlotte for small school districts on the 6th - I don't remember if you're on the coast or near the mountains.

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 27, 2009

Do you have any more information on the one in Charlotte?

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

there is the smallschools one...(Kannapolis and Mooresville are the closest to Charlotte) http://www.mgsd.k12.nc.us/16231085215724570/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=54724
    you can also email... their licensure persona, paula, to register

Cabarrus Co is ... April for Elementary and May for Secondary http://www.ccsweb.cabarrus.k12.nc.u...s/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=43597

PITT -- http://www.pitt.k12.nc.us/hr/files/preregistrationform.pdf

Montgomery Co -- http://www.montgomery.k12.nc.us/179...urvey.asp?PageNumber=1&SurveyID=lLH8m302876KG

Hoke -- (Bonuses listed for signing and relocation) http://www.hcs.k12.nc.us/home.aspx

CMS -- Can't find anything

8. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 27, 2009

Thanks

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

No problem, I know there are a few people in NC. I'm still debating going to one of them.

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 27, 2009

Do you know where Hoke county is close to? I can't find any info on it. Near cobb county?

11. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Feb 27, 2009

I never got an actual offer from a job fair, but I have been to both kinds of job fairs. One district fair I went to was very organized where each person actually had like a 10 minute interview with an administrator. Later that summer I did get called back for another interview, but I had already accepted another job offer. A different district fair I went to was chaotic. I had to wait in extremely long lines to basically say hello and hand over my resume and cover letter to each administrator from each individual school and nothing came out of that one. I agree with the person who said to go to any kind of job fair you can. You never know when that right opportunity will present itself, and its great experience in general.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2009

I've had lots of call back interviews from the large job fairs. I agree long lines can be frustrating, but I thought they were worth it. I agree with stg, you can't go wrong going to any or all of them!

13. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 28, 2009

Last year, after going to a job fair, I asked the woman from my universityies career center, "ok. So I went to a local district (at the job fair), and I felt that I blew the answer to the first question out of the box. The administrator kindly went on with her second and third question-but I realized that I had already blown it. My question is... I'm going to another job fair. Can I go back to that district and try again?" She said, "CERTAINLY!"

So here is what I think.

I agree with STG. Go to all the job fairs that you can. You'll learn the questions and be prepared to wow them at the next. This week coming up...there are 4 job fairs, and 3 more later in the month. I know that I will be attending at least two this week...and perhaps two fo the three later in the month.

THIS YEAR, I am SO much better prepared than last. But what i am trying NOT to think about (which gets ME discouraged at job fairs) is feeling like a piece of meat at the fair. SO many candidates. We start to all look alike... but I'm an older candidate, a bit heavier than the rest...so I don't look at snappy as my young counterparts. I have to wow them with answers and experience. And this year, I will.

14. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 28, 2009

I would agree with the others and say go to both. I'll be going to all the job fairs I can this year!

I am being charged $10 to get into one of them.....is this normal? Do any of you have to pay? The other ones I am going to are all free of charge.....

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2009

If there are job fairs for districts or that have districts that you want to work in definitely go! I wish that there were more job fairs around here, but all they have is one that only new graduates/graduate students can go to and it's mainly with districts from other parts of the country and they did charge about $15, newteacher08. I know some people that got open contract offers at the big job fair I went to and I got call backs for second interviews there. But just go with the attitude that you're getting some interviewing experience and you're getting some face time. Good luck!

16. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

17. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Feb 28, 2009

GO TO ALL JOB FAIRS!!!!

I recently went to a job fair at a university with a bunch of districts. I only got an interview with one, but they invited me to their district job fair!

I've never received an offer from a job fair, but it is good for networking. I know a couple of people in HR in a couple of districts just from seeing them at job fairs. When they see my name on an email or application, they have a face to put to the name.

18. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Feb 28, 2009

It depends how the hiring is done.

My first year I went to a job fair here in Chicago- I got my job from that fair. After three years, my program was cut (but not my position) and I went to another job fair and it was useless.

Here the principals are in charge of hiring and you're more likely to get face to face contact by just dressing nice and walking directly into the school.

I guess all this means- you have to know the market you are applying to in order to know what would be most helpful.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2009

Absolutely!!!! If it's going to take a day or two-- or ten-- of standing in line to get a job, then that may be what you have to do.

20. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 1, 2009

Thanks everyone. I'll try to hit as many as I can-district and large scale. I hadn't considered the practice I would get answering interview questions. I could certainly use it. I haven't had to interview for a job since '97-and it wasn't in education. I'm betting my mind will go completely blank. Who knows, maybe a district that didn't interest me before will stand out as where I'd like to be.

21. K-5Teacher

K-5Teacher Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

Thanks Chicagoturtle. I was wondering this same thing.... I have been to many job fairs in the past three years and have had nothing come from it. I was debating on going to one today until a family emergency arose (it's fine now). There are so many hiring freezes right now and with the past three years of having nothing to show from these fairs, I just didn't have the ambition to go only to be told thanks but no thanks (as if the district had a hiring freeze last year, they didn't take your resume). I was thinking it was best for the Chicago area to just walk into a school and let them see you and know you rather than going to the fairs but wasn't 100% sure.