District hiring for many positions..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ChildWhisperer, Jul 12, 2015.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 12, 2015

Hello,
    So I recently noticed on one of the job websites that one of the local districts is hiring for a lot of teaching positions.
    And I don't mean just specialty teachers or sports team coaches, I mean many primary/homeroom teaching positions (for example, they're looking for SIX Kindergarten teachers) for a total of 124 (yes, one hundred & twenty-four) positions.
    I am not surprised because it's in a ...bad area and there are many private schools because no one wants to send their children to these public schools..
    (which is why none of the private schools are ever hiring because those teachers don't want to leave!)

So my question is... Do you think they'd hire someone with some experience & education but without a professional teaching certificate?
    I don't think my state gives out emergency teacher certifications (I googled it, nothing came up for the state)
    I'd try to apply but one of the questions is "are you certified to teach in this state?" and if you click on No, you can't get past that page. BUT I don't want to lie and say Yes just so I can fill out the rest of the application.
    What do you all think??

PS: I can not apply for a teaching cert. because my degree is from out-of-state and since they had different requirements, I am actually short a few classes. But I already spent so much money on education (I have a Master's degree in ElEd!) that I can't take more courses. So I'm limited to subbing, para-ing (is that a word? :D ), private schools, and daycares.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2015

I don't know that they can hire you without certification if your state doesn't offer emergency or alternative certification. Due to federal laws, districts are penalized if they have too many uncertified teachers, or teachers teaching out of their area. In my state, districts are also required to notify in writing parents if their child's teacher is not fully certified.

4. London

London Rookie

Jul 12, 2015

Contact the HR at the district. They might be able to tell you more. My state has several routes to alternative certification and they are not very well publicized or detailed on the state ed website.

5. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jul 12, 2015

I was recently hired and they would not hire you if you have not at least met the requirements to apply for certification. This was a district in Maryland.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2015

They might hire you as a permanent sub if they can't find someone certified. I'd call or go by the HR department if you want. Definitely do not say yes you are certified if you are not. That would only end poorly for you.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2015

I would also recommend you call HR. In my district you can hire temporarily and give the teacher a certain amount of time to get certified.

8. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jul 13, 2015

This.

Some districts will pay for additional courses, others will contribute. My district has an agreement with one of the colleges where graduate tuition is only $245 per credit hour. It'd be more affordable than paying for the additional courses out right.